Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hurricane Irene
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TargaToy
I'm living on the Delmarva Peninsula and if the water gets deeper than my jack stands are tall, I am NOT going to be happy!
ripper911
IPB Image
carr914
From being on the Receiving end of these Storms before, Good Luck everyone.

Hunker Down beer3.gif
TargaToy
Any Carolinians on here? We just came up from the Outer Banks of NC where they voted us off the island and we had to cut our vacation short. I know it's going to be a serious mess and we're praying for everyone's safety.
messix
prayers and good vibes going out to all!

this crazy weather stuff has gotta stop!

up here in the pnw we are so lucky we have such a moderate climate.
sure we just got our summer 2 weeks ago! but it beats what the rest of the country is dealing with!
anderssj
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 26 2011, 11:28 PM) *

this crazy weather stuff has gotta stop!

yeah, the Great Dismal Swamp has been burning for months, an earthquake last week, and now Irene. Heard the locusts will be here around labor day . . . .

Looks like Irene will make landfall around Morehead City NC around 8AM--peak for us in SE Virginia will be around 8 tonight.

Time for coffee . . . .

All the best,

Steve A-
EdwardBlume
I hope everybody on the East Coast has ratcheted up their jackstands a notch.... headbang.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Aug 26 2011, 07:47 PM) *

I'm living on the Delmarva Peninsula and if the water gets deeper than my jack stands are tall, I am NOT going to be happy!

Be safe - I have family in Salisbury, MD.
raw1298
My wife flew into Boston this morning. She is working there this week. For her and all others I will keep you in my prayers.
TargaToy
Hey, Kansas.

I live in the suburbs of Salisbury. Just a couple miles south. So far, so good here. Wind and rain have really picked up.
anderssj
Anyone heard from the guys at Frederick MD? Looks like they're getting rain and wind from Irene now . . . .

ws91420
Right now I am in Leesburg about 33 mi south of Frederick and nothing really happening here. Will be heading out in about an hour to Matt's place.
Rod
Hope you guys are all okay and stay safe and sound.. We heard over here in the UK that Irene has been downgraded a level?? But still very concerned for all you East Coasters
nathansnathan
IPB Image
biggrin.gif
Drums66
....Be safe idea.gif & God bless all sad.gif
bye1.gif
mrdkrantz
Eastern Shore MD here as well... I got the 914 wrapped up tight in the driveway. Cleared the dead tree earlier this week, tuned up the toyota truck and the chainsaw just in case. OC maryland was mandatory evacuation-crazyness. Goodluck targatoy looks like its going right over top of us...
TargaToy
Still OK here. 20 gals of gas and the generator ready to go (warmed it up yesterday). Saturdays are normally my garage/914 time but A: we were supposed to be in the OBX until tomorrow, B: my garage is now full of stuff I don't want blowing through my neighbors' windows, and C: I'm enjoying a day of watching chick flicks with my wife and 3 daughters (and nephew lol-2.gif )

Matthew McConaughey rides a cool Triumph Bonneville in "How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days" if you need a reason to justify watching such a film. biggrin.gif

Everybody STAY SAFE out there!!
r_towle
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Aug 27 2011, 11:06 AM) *

My wife flew into Boston this morning. She is working there this week. For her and all others I will keep you in my prayers.

She will be fine in Boston, most storms get much slower when they hit ground in NC,.
By the time it gets up here it will be 50-80mph winds and lots of rain.
We have very serious weather up here all the time...mostly winter...
Boston is safe.
Lots of land between us and the Bahamas to slow things down.

Tell her to get away from glass windows...most hotels have rooms for this.
The rain will wash out to the ocean eventually.

Tell her to buy a flashlight....worst thing is a pitch black hotel you have never been inside...BTDT.

I hope all the mid atlantic people are safe.

rich
raw1298
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2011, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(raw1298 @ Aug 27 2011, 11:06 AM) *

She will be fine in Boston, most storms get much slower when they hit ground in NC,.
By the time it gets up here it will be 50-80mph winds and lots of rain.
We have very serious weather up here all the time...mostly winter...
Boston is safe.
Lots of land between us and the Bahamas to slow things down.

Tell her to get away from glass windows...most hotels have rooms for this.
The rain will wash out to the ocean eventually.

Tell her to buy a flashlight....worst thing is a pitch black hotel you have never been inside...BTDT.

I hope all the mid atlantic people are safe.
Just talked to her an hour ago. Starting to rain already and she is set with a bottle of wine and room service. biggrin.gif She took a duck tour at around noon EST and saw a few sights before storm started.

rich

mojorisen914
I hope everyone hasn't sustained too much damage to their property. Be safe kids.
VaccaRabite
York PA is now in the swirl.

Lots of rain. Wind is out of an unusual direction, but not too heavy. No thunder. So far, its a non-event.
TargaToy
Salisbury, MD...and surrounding areas back under a tornado watch. Something else to watch for while waiting for the actual event, I guess.
geniusanthony
Alexandria is windy but not unbearable, I wish you all the best.
jonferns
We should get hit here in the overnight hours, for now just heavy rain. Spent the day at work packing cars into the shop, securing windows, etc. 914's are tucked away in their garages and safe. My Jetta has got a full tank of diesel in case the need to go anywhere arises.

Hope everyone else on the east coast stays safe! bye1.gif
anderssj
knock on wood, things look they're winding down a little in SE VA. High tide was over an hour ago, so the chance of flooding should decrease as the storm pulls away. We'll see what daylight brings . . .

Stay safe--especially those still in Irene's path.
914pipe
Please those that are in the warning area... Stay at home.. I live in Puerto Rico and we are use to these naturals phenomena’s and no matter how prepare we are….there’s always people wondering around during the hurricane and those are the ones that get hurts…. Irene passed through here the August 21/22 and was beginning to be a category 1.
The winds were not that bad. Many places without electrical power and no water. That’s why is always recommended to store water. There still people here with no power and no water.
What is bad is the rain after the hurricane. Here rained about 20 inches the day after the hurricane.
Here is a video after Irene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_6cxrnNPNM...feature=related
Be safe and don’t touch any down power line!!!!
God Bless!!!!
Spoke
The power went out here for about 8 hours this morning.

We have some rain and some wind. Not too bad.
TargaToy
All's seemingly well here now. Sunny and very windy. I truly thank God we didn't lose power--which is what we had all been anticipating. I thank him for his protection too.
jmill
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Aug 28 2011, 09:57 AM) *

All's seemingly well here now. Sunny and very windy. I truly thank God we didn't lose power--which is what we had all been anticipating. I thank him for his protection too.

I work for a Midwestern power utility. We released all of our contractors from their contracts to head your way to put the overhead lines back together. There was also talk of taking a bunch of my crews and heading East to help you guys out. Glad to hear it's not as bad as anticipated. I could use the OT but wasn't looking forward to 2 weeks of living out of a hotel away from the family.
stephenaki
Hope everyone made it through safely; looks like it didn't do near as much damage as originally expected or at least that is what the news is saying.

I did my fair share of hurricanes in both Hawaii, NC and Georgia, hope what the news is saying is true for all and no one took a major hit.
flipb
From the south side of Washington DC:

Many neighborhoods lost power. Ours was out only a short time. Lots of small branches came down and a few trees.

In short, it looked like the typical aftermath of an intense summer afternoon thunderstorm - but instead of being localized as those storms usually are, it was everywhere.

Took the kids for a bike ride this morning along the Potomac River. River looks full, but not unusually so. Our ride started out under solid overcast, and we actually got to watch as the last of the storm moved out to the north and revealed gorgeous blue skies for the rest of our day.
AvalonFal
My house is on a barrier island off of southern NJ. Had a mandatory evacuation on Friday night. I took the storm in Philly. Going back to the island tomorrow to check for damage. It's only 7 miles long and 1/2 mile wide, but from news reports, I'm optimistic that things won't be too bad!! Seems like most of the major flooding occurred inland.

Paul
VaccaRabite
We had some tree damage, but nothing too horrible. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some calls from the tree people to get the freshly dead stuff trimmed off.

Zach
zymurgist
Minimal damage in Hagerstown. what a difference 20 miles and South Mountain makes. Matt had a locust tree in his back yard that came apart, but that's pretty much what locusts do in high wind.
jmill
QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 28 2011, 10:27 AM) *

I work for a Midwestern power utility. We released all of our contractors from their contracts to head your way to put the overhead lines back together. There was also talk of taking a bunch of my crews and heading East to help you guys out. Glad to hear it's not as bad as anticipated. I could use the OT but wasn't looking forward to 2 weeks of living out of a hotel away from the family.

Looks like a bunch of linemen and I are heading your way on Wednesday morning. Hopefully Motel 6 has power to keep a light on for us. With over 3 million people out of power it's hard to say no. Sounds like a 3 week tour. Hopefully it gets wrapped up sooner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.