Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Carnage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
After $168. towing bill, spare parts and assistance from club members, another 914 is fixed. The clutch is removed. Notice the blue discoloration around the flywheel. This is the worst burned clutch I have seen in a long time. The symptoms were as follows, it started chattering a little with vibration, you could smell something that smelled like oily rubber burning and then he could not shift into gear. When you got it in to gear, it did not move much at all. So if you are having these symptoms, its time to replace your clutch. Full pictorial on the carnage to follow.
skline
Next
skline
Next
skline
and last.
redshift
Ouch! I hate that smell! sad.gif

m
Mrs. K
How come Jay isn't wearing your special gloves to keep his hands nice and clean? biggrin.gif

Lisa cool_shades.gif
skline
He was wearing them like Slits and myself were but somehow he wound up taking them off and not putting them back on. He is young yet and maybe he likes the black hand look. The gloves didnt do anything for his arms so he figured he would just match all the way up. The job is almost done now and he is covered in grease, clutch disk dust and dirt from his car. I aksed him if he was learning anything, his reply was oh yeah. Before he started, he put on saftey glasses and gloves, that lasted about 10 minutes and then he was crawling out rubbing his eyes without the glasses complaining of stuff falling in them. When I asked where the glasses went, he didnt know. Hmm. The tranny is in with the new clutch and pressure plate now he is just installing all the rest of the parts.
Aaron Cox
wow! thats crazy! scott and slits. you guys are awesome! smilie_pokal.gif
Duffster
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

youse guys is the best and I won't tell Howard.
skline
Well, the day is almost over and half the team had to go but the battle runs on. Mrs. K showed up and brought everyone lunch, what a great club we have smilie_pokal.gif . Anyway, the clutch replacement turned into some other modifications from other spare parts laying around my garage and now he is installing his new 2 liter muffler system and headers. It should flow a little better, however, I was missing the muffler bracket so we had to modify one of the ones from the side of the house. A little welding here welder.gif, a little cutting sawzall-smiley.gif there and viola, he has a new 2 liter Danske muffler with headers. Too bad nothing got done on my Chalon today but he isnt driving that home later today. Here is Jared and I discussing how we are going to get this to work. Many thanks to Slits for all his help, company and parts.
seanery
great job guys. It looks like fun!
URY914
Ouch!

That hurts.

Did you get a picture of the car being towed?

Paul
SLITS
Scott, you're wrong - We installed the handbrake assembly and cable on the Chalon biggrin.gif

Hope the "modification" sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif worked and it's on the road again.

It was worth the effort just to see Lisa wub.gif (eat your heart out Howard)
skline
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 11 2004, 06:37 PM)
Scott, you're wrong - We installed the handbrake assembly and cable on the Chalon biggrin.gif

Hope the "modification" sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif worked and it's on the road again.

Ok, Its 7:35 now and he left about 20 minutes ago. I took a video of him firing it up the first time and discovering the exhaust leaks and then the last one when he was driving it back down the street from his first test drive. He got out of the car and said " Wow, that is cool!" I guess his old clutch wasnt ever much good and now it grabs really well and it sounds much better too not to mention it breathing better with the new exhaust system. THe video is a little large to post so if anyone wants it, I gave it to him on a CD to take home with him or I can send it to you by request. Its 17 meg. Not that big of a deal. If it were mine it would be or if it was yours I am sure it would be to you, but since its someone elses, I am sure most are not interested. So its available by request. I had forgotten about the handbrake, thanks Slits, Howard could have come down too.
skline
Oh and yes, I got pictures of it broken down on the freeway and being loaded on the tow truck. They are posted in another thread from yesterday titled something .Casualty of the WCC 05 meeting
Mrs. K
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 11 2004, 06:37 PM)

Thanks Ron! biggrin.gif
Yes, Scott, Howard could have come down and helped too!
Heck, I would have even bought him lunch! lol2.gif

Lisa driving-girl.gif
Howard
Sure, now I get invited. Where are we meeting this weekend and who's car will be getting the treatment? Ended up taking a tour down to the beach at Pt Mugu, PCH to Mulholland to the Rock Store. It was lonely there without all of you.

Seriously, is this a great group or what?
SLITS
"Have tools/parts - will travel"

"Will work for food and oogling(drool)" cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Howard @ Jul 11 2004, 07:59 PM)
Where are we meeting this weekend and who's car will be getting the treatment?  Ended up taking a tour down to the beach at Pt Mugu, PCH to Mulholland to the Rock Store.  It was lonely there without all of you.  

Seriously, is this a great group or what?

my carbs need smaller idle jets biggrin.gif

youre welcome to assist me laugh.gif
Jeff Bonanno
smilie_pokal.gif

Scott and SLITS - too cool for words.
Howard
Aaron, I don't know an idle jet from a laser jet. But I can bring food and beer.

Slits, who (or what) were you oogling? You didn't oogle in front of the kids, did you?
SLITS
Lisa had SHORT shorts and FOOD - ya had to be there wub.gif AND that is not an invitation for you to wear short shorts Howard icon8.gif

Acox - put a little Preparation H on them, they'll shrink right up. laugh.gif

Maybe Sat at the shop in Riverside - not sure.
skline
Ya know, it was kind of fun working on cars with others, but we really didnt do all that much, mostly gave advice and helped with the heavy stuff. He did most of the work on his own car. If we could all meet up on weekends and work on each others cars, they would all be pretty nice cars after awhile. We could have car parties. Lots of knowledge and fun for all. Just a thought.
Mrs. K
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 11 2004, 08:32 PM)
If we could all meet up on weekends and work on each others cars, they would all be pretty nice cars after awhile. We could have car parties. Lots of knowledge and fun for all. Just a thought.

agree.gif
I had lots of fun today just being with you guys! biggrin.gif
Jarod, hope you made it home safely! rolleyes.gif
And I am sure that you learned a lot from the masters today! clap56.gif

Slits, it was great to see you again too, and thanks for the compliments! laugh.gif

Take care ya'all!

Lisa welder.gif
Rouser
Full pictorial on the carnage to follow ...

Carnage? You call that CARNAGE?

I decided to impress myself on my way home (late at night, up Gunn Hwy.) with a 4-grand holeshot. Besides the growl of the engine, next thing I heard was a "Bang!" and my pedal gets all mushy and starts heading to the floor. "#$%&" I yell to the targa top, and managed to putt-putt-putt myself home in 2nd gear.

I dropped the whole shebang the coming weekend, and THIS is what you call carnage (best seen while squinting); nasty ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.