Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 914 1.8 FI won't start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PBC914
I have a 75 1.8 with FI that won't start. This problem started after I took it for a long run yesterday and the engine got pretty hot (almost in red) on the temp gauge. Not sure if that is part of it.

When I turn the key to "on" I don't hear the fuel pump run. But, when I try to turn it over, I can hear the fuel pump running/I know the pump is getting electricity.

Does the fuel pump need to run initially before startup? I swear I have always heard it before starting the car.

Any ideas?
dlee6204
Does the fuel pump need to run initially before startup? I swear I have always heard it before starting the car.

No, with L-Jet, the fuel pump only runs when cranking or when the flap inside the air meter is open (i.e. running).
With D-Jet systems, the fuel pump runs for 2-3 when the key is turned to on.

Does it attempt to start at all?
PBC914
It will turn over, and if I turn it over long enough after many tries it will begin to start, and then I need to stay on the gas for awhile to keep it from stalling. If I drive it for a few minutes it remains running then.
914Mels
Does the engine seem to crank over faster than it did before? If you got it hot, the valves may have tightened up and now your compression will be down somewhat and make it hard to start. How's the power level once you get it running?
Valy
Seems your AAR is close.
Take out the vacuum hose between the AAR and the Y splitter close to the air box. Plug the Y and check that you have vacuum through the AAR. If not, it doesn't work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.