Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 914 ... many problems..HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iove1052
Hi guys...

This is my first thread and I really need your help.
It is very shameful but I do not know anything about mechanic or car so I will need very detailed explanations..

I do have '73 914 with 1.8 European type iv engine..(VIN starts with AT...)

I recently had a tune-up (spark plug, re-wiring, oil change with 10w-30 (should I go with 20w-50?) due to its poor performance (hard to start the engine, oil pressure light is almost always on, car does not hold idle and dies after engine gets hot so I need to step on gas every time even when I press the brake) but I still have many problems and I do not know what to do...

After my tune up, I had a chance to run it on freeway. When I start the car, massive amount of smog (white gas) came out of the car (due to incomplete combustion i guess?)... My mechanic said I need to run on freeway to make it gone so yesterday I ran about 10 miles at 70~80 m/h. Smog stopped coming out after running a while...Problem started when I got off freeway. Car died as I slowed down...and when I started driving on local, massive amount of smog started coming out again..People get scared due to its amount. BTW, oil pressure light (green light) is still on almost all the time unless I run over 40 miles or so.

Also, the car still has an issue with cranking up if it was seated for couple days.

If any of you know good 914 mechanics who charge reasonably in OC, CA, please refer me...

Thank you!
pt_700
yikes! definitely go to the heavier oil, 10/30's for modern cars. also, keep it away from the place that did your "tune up". sounds like they don't know what they're doing, letting you drive the car away like that. oil pressure light should go off after a few seconds of running - don't drive it with the light on.

not holding idle when warm could be plenty of issues but, likely related to things covered in a basic tune up. i'd suspect ignition timing, how's it idle when cold?

i'm sure the so cal members will have recommendations for a mechanic. should you wish to become one (a mechanic), you're in a good place to learn (as am i!).

welcome to the madness!
underthetire

agree.gif

Lots of white smoke is oil burning. Oil pressure light on is never good, especially over idle. 10/30 is way to thin for californias warm climate.
And
welcome.png
Dave_Darling
According to http://tunacan.net/t4/reference/case.htm , AT is from a European-spec VW 412.

--DD
iove1052
how's it idle when cold?

- the guy did set it up little high... about 1100 to 1200 but it slowly goes up as engine gets hotter...

iove1052
and thank you guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.