Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slippery Slope...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom Perso
Really, this does have 914 content... huh.gif

So, I recently got married on May 8th. My wife and I were planning on using the 914 to drive away from the church to the reception. smilie_pokal.gif

Here is was, the beginning of May and the 914 was still sitting in the corner of the garage, resting in it's winter slumber.

I pull it out and do the normal "Spring Awakening" to it. It's a 74 slant nose with a Raby inspired 2270 "C" motor. It gets a new red top Optima and new oil.

Starts up great, however - the stock starter gave up the ghost. So, off the local flaps for a 74 2.7 Carrera starter. Also, some odds and ends to hook up the Setrab cooler. Now she's starting like a champ, runs normal oil temps and goes like a scalded ape.

Thursday night I drive the car about 60 miles to her parents house and I park it. Next day, I start it up give it a wash and a wax - afterwards I take it out for a little spin.

Now, the big day arrives and myself and my best man head over to the house to pick it up. I fire the old girl up and out of the engine bay erupts "BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT" - Every 4th firing cycle.

Grrrr.... WTF? So, after some debating and head hanging in defeat, we leave the car and I use my parents 2004 Acura TL. I have a good idea what it is, but I can't tell without dropping the motor.

Fast forward to this weekend (over 2 months later). I get the car up and the engine ready to drop. Out comes the motor and tranny and I pull off the 3-4 head. Yup, I was right....

I am running 1.8L carb'd bus heads which have EGR ports in the exhaust. I had those ports welded up and smoothed over. Well, I guess one of the ports was "cold welded" and after a good long run on the highway, it finally got loose and popped out. I failed to mention that the morning of the wedding was chilly (high 40's) so everything was nice and contracted.

Oh well, it could be worse. I'll take the head and have it welded up again (by someone else).

But, since the car is up in the air, I might as well install the SS brake lines, new rotors, pads, and the Koni's I have laying around. Oh, and I really should tidy up the engine bay, take care of the electrical snufu's and all of the other assorted BS that comes along...

Probably will be another 2 months before the motor goes back in... smile.gif LOL

Later!
Tom
SLITS
The '74 is jealous mad.gif

See what happens when you say "I'm Done" to a woman.
EdwardBlume
She said YES though?

Don't feel bad - my 914 was two months short of the deadline (bodywork) and we ended up in a Corvette. Disappointing yes but the marriage is great though!
rick 918-S
I agree. It's the other woman syndrome. One of them will never be happy until they learn to share your time. laugh.gif
Tom Perso
Yeah, she still said yes - amazingly enough!

She does like the 914, but only because the top comes off and it's fun to cruise in. However, the aspect of DE/AX does not interest her. Oh well, can't have everything... smile.gif

Later,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.