Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires and Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
In an effort to keep my teeth, not wear a football mouthpiece..... I must start looking for some new shoes for Big Blue. The tires that the PO sold the car with are nice for roads that are glass smooth, but not worth much in the real world. Help me save my teeth guys, looking for a wide tire that will fit. Ideas?? Bob

I was WRONG!!! 195/45/15 tires. Weak flashlight, weaker eyes! Bob
pcar916
What size wheels do you have and what kind of weather. The selection in 15in tires is getting pretty slim, but if you are using those in the subject, you must have flairs on your car already... I assume you're talking about a 914.

Do you have adjustable shocks?
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Aug 28 2011, 08:13 PM) *

What size wheels do you have and what kind of weather. The selection in 15in tires is getting pretty slim, but if you are using those in the subject, you must have flairs on your car already... I assume you're talking about a 914.

Do you have adjustable shocks?

Yes, 914 Size wheels? U mean how wide a wheel? No flairs. Koni shocks, dont know if they adjust. Weather? Summer in IN so dry mostly but I have driven theses tires in the rain. Prob is they just ride too damn hard for my 56 yo bones, need something softer or sell the car....... it just beats me up on long drives. Bob
ripper911
If your car dosen't have flares you're probably not running 245s.

Look at the number on the side of the tires.
Razorbobsr
[quote name='ripper911' date='Aug 28 2011, 09:20 PM' post='1531332']
If your car dosen't have flares you're probably not running 245s.

Look at the number on the side of the tires.
[

I did. How does one post pic here? Bob
ripper911
Upload picture to a host site such as photobucket, then resize the picture. Copy the direct link. Come here, click add reply then click on the little picture icon above the text input box (looks like a very small picture of a landscape) You will probably have a notification pop up saying that a pop-up was blocked, click that to temporarily allow pop-ups, then paste link in the space provided.
76-914
I doubt your tire size is effecting your ride that much. I would look at the suspension for the rough ride. bye1.gif
carr914
A 245 would require at least an 8 Inch wheel ( and probably a 9) which won't fit a non-flared car
pcar916
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 28 2011, 11:07 PM) *

A 245 would require at least an 8 Inch wheel ( and probably a 9) which won't fit a non-flared car

Yep, cantilevered 245's will fit on an 8in wheel but it takes a 9in wheel to get a non-cantilevered tire on it and retain a proper contact patch. I'm flared and run 225's in the front on 8in wheels, and 245's in the rear on 9in wheels. These are 16in rims.

Need pix!
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 28 2011, 11:20 PM) *

I doubt your tire size is effecting your ride that much. I would look at the suspension for the rough ride. bye1.gif

Car is set up for auto X, STIFF. Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Aug 29 2011, 05:26 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 28 2011, 11:07 PM) *

Yep, cantilevered 245's will fit on an 8in wheel but it takes a 9in wheel to get a non-cantilevered tire on it and retain a proper contact patch. I'm flared and run 225's in the front on 8in wheels, and 245's in the rear on 9in wheels. These are 16in rims.

Need pix! Going to take some today, post with wifes help. Bob

Dave_Darling
Sounds like the car was built for one thing, autoX, and is now used for something else, a street car. Time to re-do the setup. If you go back to stock torsion bars and stock-ish springs, the ride will get nicer. Replace track-oriented shocks with streetable ones and it should be quite liveable.

I doubt that just replacing tires will give you a soft ride.

If you're of a mind to try, you can dig out some original-size 5.5x15 wheels and locate some 165/80-15 tires to go on them. The ride will be more squishy, but it might still be too harsh because of the suspension.

--DD
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 29 2011, 12:06 PM) *

Sounds like the car was built for one thing, autoX, and is now used for something else, a street car. Time to re-do the setup. If you go back to stock torsion bars and stock-ish springs, the ride will get nicer. Replace track-oriented shocks with streetable ones and it should be quite liveable.

I doubt that just replacing tires will give you a soft ride.

If you're of a mind to try, you can dig out some original-size 5.5x15 wheels and locate some 165/80-15 tires to go on them. The ride will be more squishy, but it might still be too harsh because of the suspension.

Was not so bad[it seemed] 2 yrs ago when I bought the car, I think your correct about the ' Built For Auto X, I am not looking for a soft ride[yet] but damn!! The roads up north take a beating in winter and then give the beating to drivers of sporty cars in warmer weather. Know anyone looking for a fast 914??? LOL Bob
--DD

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.