Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear trunk pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
I am assuming this pad was used for heat suppression or sound deadening. Were the used throughout the series?
monkeyboy
my late 72 has one.
eric9144
The pad style changed in later model years, went to a full size pad that was the same dimension as the rear trunk carpet. I can add a picture tonight.
flipb
My '74 has the full style trunk pad beneath the carpet. In places, I think it's still tacked into place with some kind of adhesive. It even covers the jack storage location, but it's flexible enough to pull upward to access the jack.

I don't spend much time in the O&H forum, so I should add: My car is a bit of a time capsule, but extensively driven. It's a 1974 2.0 in Saturn Yellow with brown interior. It's never been restored. AFAIK, everything is original except induction system (FI was long gone before I owned it) and heat exchangers/exhaust (some PO put on a Monza/Manta). It's been resprayed (low quality job) in the original color at some point, and some rust rehab was done in the hellhole and longs. Rocker covers are stock-style Stainless steel, powdercoated matte black.

Some of the factory markings (e.g. top of the strut towers in front trunk; steering wheel) are still visible.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 29 2011, 11:09 AM) *

The pad style changed in later model years, went to a full size pad that was the same dimension as the rear trunk carpet. I can add a picture tonight.

Eric,
Was was the composition of the later pads? Believe they started in late '73.

Was it still a foam core wrapped in a vinyl sheath?
Pat
bembry
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 29 2011, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 29 2011, 11:09 AM) *

Eric,
Was was the composition of the later pads? Believe they started in late '73.

Was it still a foam core wrapped in a vinyl sheath?
Pat

Pat,
My 73 has the larger pad. Mine is not wrapped in a vinyl sheath (I've seen the vinyl wrapped ones for sale)--it's just black very heavy molded foam about an inch thick, that is smooth textured on top and bottom.

I think the purpose was just to hold water in order to rust out the rear part of the trunk. screwy.gif
sixerdon
If everyone refers to their copy of Johnson's authenticity book, you will find your answer. They got it right on this one. Three different pads.
Don
eric9144
Rear Trunk Pad 1974 MY (Prod 10/73) Pad is roughly the same dimensions as the carpet that covers it. Material is a dense foam with a smooth coating.

Click to view attachment
Van914
If anyone is looking for on I have one for sale. It is like Eric's picture above.
Thanks
Van914
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Van914 @ Oct 5 2011, 10:41 AM) *

If anyone is looking for on I have one for sale. It is like Eric's picture above.
Thanks
Van914

PM sent....
914runnow
they stopped in 72..73 started the ..'Molded' pad.....
windforfun
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Oct 4 2011, 06:33 PM) *

Rear Trunk Pad 1974 MY (Prod 10/73) Pad is roughly the same dimensions as the carpet that covers it. Material is a dense foam with a smooth coating.

Click to view attachment

Ditto.
dcheek
Here is the pad from my '76. It's a very thin vinyl covering over soft and pliable foam approximately 1" thick.

Click to view attachment
unpolire
My 10/71 1972 has the pad as pictured in the first post, as did my previous 1971. I agree with the comment that they just seemed to support moist conditions for rust directly beneath them, like a covered sponge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.