Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to mount 4 point harnesses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
casey944
Purchased these wonderful seats

IPB Image

and now that I am really getting the car sorted I would like to be safer... Is there an options for a harness bar that mounts behind the seats to mount a set of 4 point harnesses? Don't really want to run a sub belt for street driving although the seats have a spot for them... I honestly wouldn't mind something that also went across the door down towards the front of the floor if it all was integrated and worked well..

Any help? Would be great if i didn't lose any of the seat travel as I am a tall guy.

Thanks in advance!
Vysoc
Casey,

Stable Energies has a Harness Bar that works in a 914 you have to do a little navigating on their Web Site but there is one in there.

Vysoc flag.gif
EdwardBlume
You can install eye bolts behind the seats and thread them through the back pad. Use big washers on the engine side to keep you strapped in during a collision. first.gif
nsr-jamie
How about this place Rennenmetal? They have excellent prices and better than the Weltmeister piece

Here is the link and looks to be on sale too right now as well

http://www.rennenmetal.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1800

Cheers
Jamie
nsr-jamie
Forgot to write, but would you happen to have some pictures of these GTS seats installed in your 914? I am thinking about getting the same seats as well....Can I ask where did you buy them?
casey944
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Aug 29 2011, 07:49 AM) *

Forgot to write, but would you happen to have some pictures of these GTS seats installed in your 914? I am thinking about getting the same seats as well....Can I ask where did you buy them?

Not the best photo but the only one I have of them installed:

Click to view attachment

If I were to do it again I would have gotten a more supportive seat than the Lemans for the drivers side. Bought them directly from Stefan @ GTS Classics
Dave_Darling
The routing of the lap belts would worry me. If they sit right on the bolster, they aren't snug around your hips which is where they should be. The shoulder belts I am less concerned about; I know that in my case my shoulders are above the wider part of the seat anyway.

The primary function of the sub strap (single or dual) is to keep the lap belts located low on your hips, which is where they belong. Too easy to pull them upwards with the shoulder straps. This is one big reason why four-point belts are almost never recommended by anyone for actual safety. (You'd fail tech with them for DE's locally; your stock three-point belts would pass.)

For the street, three-points are preferred. If the four- (or more-) point belts are as tight as they should be for safety, you cannot turn around to look behind you. Makes backing up a lot harder, and more dangerous. You will also not be able to reach some controls, like the radio. (Yeah, I know--but I do listen to the radio in my 914!) Again, not so good for a street car.

Stick with the three-points for the street. For the track, go with a five-point setup. Check the manufacturer's recommendations about mounting for those, and check with the local safety folks about installation. Some outfits will not allow the belts to be anchored to a harness bar, so you would need eyebolts (or bolts) through the firewall to actually be the anchors. And you might have to cut away the back-pad so the contact is metal-to-metal, as some sanctioning bodies insist on that as well.

--DD
eric9144
agree.gif

I'm with Dave on this one, 3 point or 5/6 point belts are going to be safer than 4 point... And as Dave also stated, most safety reg's will not even allow 4 point belts.

If you're going to do it, add sub straps and go 5 point...
carr914
I both Agree & Disagree with Dave's assessment

The waist Belt needs to be in proper alignment, BUT I have seen a lot of Shoulder Belts installed improperly and those seats do not have an Alignment slot like a racing seat has. Therefore the Belt could easily slip out of where you want it. Also misinstalled Shoulder Belts can lead to Compression Fractures in your back in a crash.

Sub Straps are there to prevent you from Submarining forward under the waist belt in a hard collision, not for proper alignment of your waist belt, even though it is often used that way
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.