Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another deck height question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I just finished checking my deck height. I used a flat piece of steel with a dial indicator mounted. I have the number I am looking for however I would like to double check using a second method. I was planning on torquing down the cylinders then checking with a flat plate and feeler gauges.

The trouble that I am having is- how do you safely and accurately torque the cylinder jugs to the case? I have seen people use several sockets or nuts. There is only a small edge for the sockets to sit on and the head studs start to bow out when I torque them. In the past, I cracked a fin doing this. What do people do to safely and accurately attach the heads to the case when checking deck height?
76-914
I just pulled them down snuggly then measured. After cross checking measurements for accuracy, I did the rest w/ a feeler gage and it was just as accurate!

Click to view attachment
tornik550
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 28 2011, 11:13 PM) *

I just pulled them down snuggly then measured. After cross checking measurements for accuracy, I did the rest w/ a feeler gage and it was just as accurate!

Ok- does everyone agree that putting the bolts on snuggly are all that are needed. I hope so cause that would make life much easier.
wertygrog
Yep just snug all 4 headstuds down as much as you can before you risk cracking a fin!
McMark
I've done back to back tests and haven't found a significant difference between perfect torque deck height and just snug.

Here's my setup...

IPB Image
pcar916
Snug will do it.
tornik550
Thank you to everyone for the advise!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.