Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Tender - if it's good enough for them...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skaufmann
Just a passing tip.

I bought a Battery Tender a couple weeks ago (easily found on Amazon) to keep my battery topped while I troubleshoot my alternator/wiring issue. Just this weekend while in LA, I took our New Zealander car nut guest to the Peterson Automotive Museum.

Besides a Bugatti Veyron, Elvis' Yellow Pantera he shot on multiple occasions because it wouldn't start (Fords...), and an elusive '88 Porsche 959 in the picture below, every car was hooked up to a Battery Tender hiding under each car. I was already very happy with the charger (price and reviews) so when I saw these cars all hooked up to one, I thought to myself that it was good enough for me.

Anyone in the market for one should definitely consider it. It's not full of bells and whistles, it doesn't even have a button or knob. It's a set-and-forget type of charger. Great for the non-daily drivers or for that battery sitting in you garage. It's very affordable too.

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
Been using a battery tender for years. Have one on the lawn tractor, 914, and Corvette. Sister uses one on the party barge. I used to have to buy a new battery for the lawn tractor every spring. After getting the tender, haven't had to buy a battery in four years. Yes, plug in and forget about it.....
Cairo94507
Which one are you using?
Thanks.
type47
hmmm, I bought a cheap Black and Decker one at the local hardware store. $20
GeorgeRud
The cheapest charger out there is the Harbor Freight one, but I started using the Battery Tenders as well. I think there are several good brands out there, and Battery Tender makes several models if you need to maintain several vehicles with the same charger.

These devices are real battery savers for those of us that need to store their cars over the bad weather months up north.
rfuerst911sc
Has anyone ever heard if Battery Tenders are bad on alternators ? I was recently told that by the head mechanic at Automobile Atlanta ( for what that's worth ).
RON S.
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 30 2011, 04:47 AM) *

Been using a battery tender for years. Have one on the lawn tractor, 914, and Corvette. Sister uses one on the party barge. I used to have to buy a new battery for the lawn tractor every spring. After getting the tender, haven't had to buy a battery in four years. Yes, plug in and forget about it.....

agree.gif Right on about the Battery tender.

I have 2 or 3 of them running all the time.

I have one on my 1995 Harley, and have only put 1 battery in it in 16yrs.

Well worth the 25 or so bucks for a unit.

Ron
pt_700
been putting my blackbird (motorcycle) on the tender every weekend (poor thing's mostly a commuter) after hearing stories about bikes with very old batteries that still work fine. i've typically had to replace mine after 2 years. current battery's already older than that.

never heard about them being hard on alternators. at the very least, they're good insurance for being able to start seldom used vehicles.

Scott S
We have them on every car in the collection - even the positive ground stuff. No issues on anything ever - no matter if it has an alternator or a generator. Our only rule of thumb is to make sure they are disconected prior to trying to start a car - but that is so we do not damage the actual charger, not over any sort of concern for the car.

The only time the 914 battery let me down was last fall when I forgot to plug it in. Prior to that, I went 10 years on a 40.00 "disposable" AutoZone battery.

beerchug.gif
kerensky
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Aug 30 2011, 07:41 AM) *

Has anyone ever heard if Battery Tenders are bad on alternators ? I was recently told that by the head mechanic at Automobile Atlanta ( for what that's worth ).
I know that full-on battery chargers that can take your battery from dead to full in hours can be bad for the D-Jet ECU, but I'm skeptical about it damaging an alternator.

As for 'battery tenders' or 'trickle chargers' I think the current amount is small enough that they shouldn't hurt anything. Having said that, I'd probably install a battery cut-off switch just for my own peace of mind.
underthetire
I just buy the Harbor Freight "float Charger" when they go on sale for about 5 bucks. Been using them for years now, they work really well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-bat...rger-42292.html
carr914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Aug 30 2011, 11:41 AM) *

av-943.gif
skaufmann
To refer specifically to what I was talking about, and the exact unit the Museum had every car in the Supercar exhibit, here is a link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0.../dp/B00068XCQU/
Scott S
These are what I use. I hard wire the battery side pigtail using the provided terminal connectors. Then it's just a quick plug/unplug deal.

http://batterytender.com/automotive/batter...v-at-0-75a.html
Ductech
Battery Tender brand is all we sold at the Ducati shop
All I ever use for a trickle charge/ maintenance charger
jt914-6
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 30 2011, 06:54 AM) *

Which one are you using?
Thanks.

I use the Battery Tender Plus....pn# 021-0156 It comes with a harness that has ring terminals that you put on the battery terminals...just plug and unplug as has been said.....
BigDBass
I have a Diehard trickle charger. I would like to use the ring terminal connector but they seemed the wrong diAmeter so I never really looked further. Sine I'm king of stupid questions, can someone tell me or post a pic of how to install the ring connector?
pcar9146guy
Here's what the Battery Tender Plus harness looks like. One ring terminal on the + post and one on the - post. The positive side has a fuse and the end is a two pole connector which connects to the tender. Plug & unplug with no alligator clips. This is on my "other " car..

Click to view attachment
Dion
I've had a Battery Tender on my 914 and GTI for more than 10 years. My Optima battery in the 914 lasted 8yrs with the Tender. No issues.

Dion
Rand
I use one. The cheap ass Harbor Freight one. It costs less than $10.

You can spend more for a special brand if it makes you feel better, or if you belong to a special garage with large budgets. But they all do the same thing... Not quite the same thing as a trickle charger. I suppose "float" is a better word. But I always cringe when someone pays bigger dollars for a brand when another product does the same thing for a fraction of the price and its the same thing under the plastic cover

Bikes, jetskis, cars in hard winters.... Yes, our batteries that are not used regularly need float charging.

Choose your poison, or buy a new battery.
osvolant
Been using a Battery Tender for the last 2-1/2 years on my 914, ever since I bought it. I have also used it to "rejuvenate" an old battery on one of my other cars, after adding water.

Aviation Consumer, a sort of Consumer Reports publication for general aviation, tested float chargers for aircraft a few years ago. Battery Tender and Battery Minder were the only ones that maintained the proper float voltages for 12V wet cell aircraft batteries- basically the same as car batteries but much more expensive, of course.
Rand
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 30 2011, 11:48 AM) *

I just buy the Harbor Freight "float Charger" when they go on sale for about 5 bucks. Been using them for years now, they work really well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-bat...rger-42292.html

Funny timing. I just got the HF promo email and guess what coupon is included?.......

IPB Image
underthetire
There you go! I add a molex connector from radio shack to the end and mating one on the dirt bikes. Abot a buck and a half, but I don't have to remove covers to get to the battery.
PlaysWithCars
For what it's worth. I used to use the inexpensive Harbor Freight units too until one fried a battery and boiled it over; lots of work to clean up. Doing the post mortim on it, I found it was putting out 18V. Got me thinking about the others I was using. Out of 3 of them, 2 were way too high for voltage.

I've since invested in a Battery Minder unit and love it. I got one that can charge AGM as well as wet cell batteries and does desulfation while in float mode (fantastic for recovering batteries). Everytime I've checked it voltage is right on.

Harbor Freight has some inexpensive tools that do the job, but they also have some cheap tools. I'm staying away from there float chargers since my experience.
nsr-jamie
Sorry, totally off topic but a silver Lamborghini Countach.....I can't remember seeing them in those colors, looks incredible...the 959 looks sweet too...always had a thing for the Countach cars...someday I would like to check out that museum if its widely open to the public.
Rod
Oh come on - buy the right one!!!!!

IPB Image

Did Porsche ever do a motorbike????? It's a Ctek 3600 rebranded by Porsche.
Rand
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Sep 3 2011, 10:44 PM) *

For what it's worth. I used to use the inexpensive Harbor Freight units too until one fried a battery and boiled it over; lots of work to clean up. Doing the post mortim on it, I found it was putting out 18V. Got me thinking about the others I was using. Out of 3 of them, 2 were way too high for voltage.

I've since invested in a Battery Minder unit and love it. I got one that can charge AGM as well as wet cell batteries and does desulfation while in float mode (fantastic for recovering batteries). Everytime I've checked it voltage is right on.

Harbor Freight has some inexpensive tools that do the job, but they also have some cheap tools. I'm staying away from there float chargers since my experience.

I hear you.
I've had no trouble over the past couple of winters. If it had been putting out too much voltage I would have exchanged it.
Point: If you buy a HF unit, check it with a meter. If it is within spec, you save a ton of money. If not, exchange it for free.
If money is no object and/or you don't want to see if it is in spec for yourself, buy the brand name.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.