Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost Title in Washington State
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biggy72
So I'm heading up Friday night to pick up a 73 2.0 liter without a title. It's not very complete, but it is VERY VERY solid.

It looks like the guy that originally started tearing everything apart was doing a really nice job and had a really nice car to start with. I found just a little rust in the rear trunk and the passenger side below the door hinge is a little rusty but pretty easily fixable. The floor pans are solid and not rusty at all. The front trunk has the center section cut out, but it could easily be patched back in. The hell hole has no rust and the long looks perfect. It has never been hit and I could not find a dent on it.

Now I'm not really looking for another project, but if someone was looking for a roller to put their parts on, this would be a perfect car. The problem is that it does not have a title. The guy that I bought it from never transferred it and who knows who the last person it was titled to.

Has anyone had any luck in Washington getting a title for an "abandoned" car like this? The DOL website makes it sound like I'm out of luck, but it would be a shame to chop this one up.

I looked at it last weekend and I'm heading back up Friday night with my trailer to pick it up. I will post pics after I drag it home.
jcd914
I have not tried this but am told it works. Here in CA after 5 years of inactivity the cars drops off the DMVs computer (this part I know) and then they can't figure out anything about the car (they can hardly figure anything out with it in the computer). File paperwork for a lost pink slip and they don't know how to verify whether you owned it or not and will process the paper work and send you a title.

Jim

PanelBilly
I have no idea what they will do, but pleSe follow up the story and tell us how it ends
r_towle
Look up "title service" on google. You can hire a company to get you a certified title
FourBlades
I have done this using getnewtitle.com.

They give you a Maine title which you can transfer to your state.

It requires a police inspection of your vin.

About $350...

Worked great for me.

John

a914622
Wash state requires you send a sertified reg. letter to last know owner. If it comes back unopened it will be regestered in your name for 3 years and then it will transfer title to your name. (best case)

I had a 59 ghia that was in a wifes name and at the devorce HE took the car and sold it to me 15 years later. Long store short SHE wanted the car back i got screwed with out a kiss!!

If the seller says I lost the title they can get one from the dvm in about 15 min.

jcl
toolguy
I got to disagree with how it works in California. .You got it partly right. . I believe it use to be 7 years that it drops off the DMV records. . but thats only 1/2 the story. . .
If you have no title, you go to DMV, they start the paperwork and take your money. . then they send you with the vehicle to the Highway Patrol. . . this is where it gets sticky cause you don't know what the real story is on the vehicle. . . The CHP verifies all the numbers, that's engine, trans and body, then they check it against the National database records which NEVER drop off the system. . If they get a hit on any of the numbers, they impound the vehicle. . you're left with nothing, up to you to go after the seller
RRietman
heres the thing in wa state. if the vin has fallen out of the system (IE not registered for 7 years), AND YOU HAVE A LOST TITLE. you are shit out of luck. you're only option is to try for a 3 year registration only. you get a registration but no title. if the title holder comes forward during the three years, they get the car. if nothing happens for three years, you get a title.

If the the vin is still in the system, then a signed/notorized release of interest from the current registered owner will do it. send the letter certified mail, if it is returned undeliverable, that will suffice.
MikeSpraggi
Here's who I used to get a title for my DE/track car. Picked it up in Philly with no title. The PO got it from someone a few months prior without a title. The story sounded good to me so I bit. The guy I bought it from told me about this particular service. Was quick and easy. Don't know about Wash state, I live in Md., but when I went to the DMV they examined the documents and processed without a hitch. I guess all these services are about the same.

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/
6freak
QUOTE(biggy72 @ Aug 30 2011, 05:58 PM) *

So I'm heading up Friday night to pick up a 73 2.0 liter without a title. It's not very complete, but it is VERY VERY solid.

It looks like the guy that originally started tearing everything apart was doing a really nice job and had a really nice car to start with. I found just a little rust in the rear trunk and the passenger side below the door hinge is a little rusty but pretty easily fixable. The floor pans are solid and not rusty at all. The front trunk has the center section cut out, but it could easily be patched back in. The hell hole has no rust and the long looks perfect. It has never been hit and I could not find a dent on it.

Now I'm not really looking for another project, but if someone was looking for a roller to put their parts on, this would be a perfect car. The problem is that it does not have a title. The guy that I bought it from never transferred it and who knows who the last person it was titled to.

Has anyone had any luck in Washington getting a title for an "abandoned" car like this? The DOL website makes it sound like I'm out of luck, but it would be a shame to chop this one up.

I looked at it last weekend and I'm heading back up Friday night with my trailer to pick it up. I will post pics after I drag it home.

you can file for a lost title through the DMV smile.gif
luskesq
In Ca another approach is to do a lien sale based on storage. Notice is given to the PO and unless they step up with $ to cover storage it is yours. Don't know if your state has something comparable but that might be worth looking into.

keith
biggy72
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 31 2011, 07:16 AM) *

If it were only that easy. The title holder can file for a lost title through the DMV. I can't legally do anything in Washington, but it sounds like I may be able to get a title through another state and have it transferred here. It has to be inspected, but as long as everything matches and the car isn't stolen, it should pass.
Ductech
QUOTE(biggy72 @ Aug 31 2011, 08:56 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 31 2011, 07:16 AM) *

If it were only that easy. The title holder can file for a lost title through the DMV. I can't legally do anything in Washington, but it sounds like I may be able to get a title through another state and have it transferred here. It has to be inspected, but as long as everything matches and the car isn't stolen, it should pass.

whoever mentioned the title lien might be on to something there.

A mechanic's lien that I am familiar with allows someone who has an open bill on a vehicle that has been repaired can fill to obtain the title of said vehicle. The titled owner gets informed of the bill (usually storage)and if they don't reply in x amount of days the mechanic gets to apply for the title after the customer doesn't reply.

This is all for a biz in washington. It may not work out the exact same way. but might be worth going thru. Just say the car has been on your property for the last couple years after repairing it for a friend.
914werke
Derek what about the "rebuilt 2.0"?
76-914
I bought a 914 2 yr's ago in WA. I registered it in CA. All they asked for was a bill of sale and verification of the serial numbers. My neighbor was a cop and signed it off. When I got ready to license it the stupid DMV couldn't locate my paper work. After 2 frustrating trips I joined AAA. They lady at AAA handed me my plated 7 min's after I got waited on. I think AAA hires anyone with a brain away from the DMV. laugh.gif
biggy72
I honestly don't know about the 2.0. It's definitely a 2.0 and has dual weber intakes on the engine, but no carbs. The top side is covered in dust. I'll pull it all apart before it actually goes in anything.

Now the tranny on the other hand looks like someone just went through it. It's really clean with all new hardware on everything I could see. It shifts really nice and tight. There is also a new starter and all of the wiring around the starter looks new. The calipers on all 4 corners look like they were freshly anodized. This kind of leads me to believe the engine probably is pretty fresh since everything else seems to be new or freshly rebuilt that didn't get covered by dust.

I was honestly just looking for a side shift tranny and all of the parts. The guy told me he had another attached to a 1776 on the floor next to it.... well it's a 1.7 and a tail shift, which is what I've already got in my car.

Anyway I'm going to drag it all home and sell off what I don't need. I'll have three spare tail shift trannys and 3 spare 1.7's when this is all said and done.... I think it's time to get rid of at least a little of it.

About the title lien, I'll get ahold of one of my buddies with a shop and see what he says. It may be the easiest way to go.
EdwardBlume
IMHO - I wouldn't buy any car without a title. Too risky. I would never "lose" a title personally, and I wouldn't be OK with paying $1 to anyone selling car this way.... just my $.02... stirthepot.gif
biggy72
If this car had just been drug in and was complete or was being parted out, I would have been suspicious. But from where it's at it's pretty obvious this was the guy's parent's or grandparent's place that they're now turning into a rental. It's obviously been there forever since it was burried and had a huge pile of dust on it. Because of this I wouldn't be surprised if this was his dad's or grandpa's car originally.

There was a 64 bug sitting next to it that they did have the title for that he sold really cheap too ($175 with a huge pile of parts). That would have been another great project, but I only have so much time money and space.
Root_Werks
If it originally had a WA title, this isn't that hard to do, it just takes time.

Find a local DMV that you possibly alread know with nice people. Find a person adn stick with them through the process if you can.

Be nice and ask for thier help, it makes them feel important.

Don't be in a rush, never get defensive even if the person is an A-Hole.

They will tell you what you need to do, each DMV is a little different regardless of what people say. The buck does stop at each DMV. It's their tail on the line and their discretion what they want to do. Follow the law to a "T" or if they like you, just "get er done."

I've walked in with some pretty goofy stuff over the years and had "My" counter person I've gotten to know really make things easy for me. I always joke what a D-Ass I am for not doing things right, tell her she takes care of me etc.

There are two ways to do something like this in WA, fight it all the way or use pieces in the system to help you get what you want.

smile.gif
jsaum
The Washington state patrol keeps records and most likely will have who the registered owner is on file. I tried to transfer a title on a Harley I've had for twenty years, the license agency didn't show it in their system but WSP did, that stopped me in my tracks I had to get the registered owner to file for a lost title and finally got it transferred in my name. Your best bet maybe a storage or mechanics lean.

Good luck!
Jsaum
914werke
actually as has been described, it is a pretty easy process in WA state & has been described pretty accurately...

with one caveat blink.gif

You need the WSP to inspect the vehicle and provide you a form that is carried back to the DOL verifying that the car hasn't been tampered with and it doesn't show up on their "Hot Sheet".

Only problem is they wont inspect a car unless its complete, it doesnt have to run but they insist it has the motor trans interior ect. installed screwy.gif

Catch 22. If you PU a roller like this, you have to roll the dice finish the car then have it instpected just so you can get a registration and a opportunity to get the title transferred into your name after 3 yrs ..
IF the owner of record doesnt come out of the woodwork and make a claim on the car during that time frame.
SirAndy
QUOTE(luskesq @ Aug 31 2011, 07:26 AM) *
In Ca another approach is to do a lien sale based on storage. Notice is given to the PO and unless they step up with $ to cover storage it is yours.

Careful with that!

The lien sale can easily go through with no red flags even if the vehicle is reported stolen!
sad.gif

I know someone who did jail-time after a "clean" lien sale. popcorn[1].gif

MartyYeoman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 2 2011, 12:10 PM) *

I know someone who did jail-time after a "clean" lien sale. popcorn[1].gif

I was thinking the same thing.
sixnotfour
FYI- There is a missing maroon 76 2.0 somewhere in WA. The owner passed the brother cant find the car, he has the title.
raw1298
I called the local police department and gave them the vin# and they verified within 3 minutes that it was clean, (not stolen). I gave the officers information to them at the DMV along with his phone #. Paid the back registration( $375) and two weeks later got a title in my name. This was in Sacramento Ca. , but it was very easily done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.