Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: toasted my motor w/ the new clutch and stuff..;o
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
well yesterday was an eventful day.....I learned how awesome the 914club really is...got a lot of help from skline and slits...everything went together smoothly...I was stoked when it was done... rolleyes.gif...Well driving home from scott's, in fact barely getting on the freeway on ramp I take off...a little fast....speedshifting in my tailshifting hit second...riding the powerband go to third...go for fourth...second gear instead........10,000 rpms later my engine is toasted...no power...I drive home slowly....nearly in tears sad.gif .....kind of killed my motivation...dont want to touch the car right now...not for a few months I would imagine...just too down to pull the engine, pull it apart and pay an arm and leg to get it rebuilt...not to mention I owe everyone and their brother for helping me...scott wink.gif ...well...I am probably just going to pull a loan and buy a beater daily driver to play with in a couple of weeks when I recover from the costs of this weekend...anyways...I dont know how much of you will hear of me for awhile...prolly will lurk but not much else...thanx all...will get back to you all when I come out of my cave.... unsure.gif...thanx guys for your help...

Jared Villanueva

dead 72 2056cc with 900 miles on engine...... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif ...wish I had a real job... givemebeer.gif
seanery
hey man, i did the same thing at the track in april. Time to get rid of the tailshifter. I know I am. wacko.gif
Joseph Mills
That Sucks. I feel for ya. I think you're the third one this year with the missed shift/blown engine scenario. This seems to be the summer of engines going down. Mine did as well.

Give it some time and look at it later. May not be as bad as you think. Hang in there.
Aaron Cox
shit jay, that sucks man.

some parts shoul have survived..., i hope

dude. im sorry sad.gif sad2.gif
seanery
this is what happened to mine, could be similar damage:

Bent valve
broken rocker
dented piston

If you're lucky the damage could be contained to the head(s).
MXMARK
Jared, I am sorry to here this news. Aaron told me about the you and the trip to LA. I may have some parts in the garage. Sorry Mark
newdeal2
Excuse my ignorance but would a rev limiting rotor do any good in these situations?

And I am sorry about your mishap

ohmy.gif
Duffster
Ah Poop Jay!!

That just sucks. Let it sit for a while. It will tell you when it is time to get back to it.

When you do, just put out the call and we'll see what is really wrong.

Type IVs can take a lot before utterly grenading, and like others before me have said here, it ran home with out a lift from AAA, it can't all be shrapnel. drunk.gif
SirAndy
dude, that sucks!

looks like i may have some 2056 parts for sale soon ...
sad.gif Andy
skline
I was wondering when you were going to post about it. I have thought a lot about it and I really think teh weekend warrior thing could fly. I am going to give it a try this weekend on the red one out here. I want it out of my driveway and so I think I am going to have another party this weekend to power the engine out, pull the heads and lap them in and put it all back together and have him drive it home on Sunday. Maybe we could all come out to your house and do the same on it one weekend. I will see who if any will volunteer to come over and help with Joes car this weekend, I will do it myself if I have to. It will only motivate me to get mine done a little more. Mine is on hold till I get the registration figured out. So in the meantime, I can help others get theirs going. Again, sorry about your car Jared, I have a rev limiting rotor here too we should have put on your car. It could have saved you. I dont think it will be as bad as you think. What would be even better, get another set of heads ready to go on and we could do it in a day.
Mueller
a rev-limiting rotor cannot save or defeat the laws of physics when a mis-shift is at fault....

sorry to hear about your motor...
Mrs. K
Hey Jared,
I am so sorry! You worked so hard on Sunday!
That totaly bites! ohmy.gif

Hang in there, lots of good club members willing to help! wink.gif

Great to meet you!
Lisa driving-girl.gif
ChrisFoley
I'm sorry to hear that Jay. sad.gif
10k is a lot of revs for a TIV. I took one of my race engines to 11+ the same way once, on the track. You probably have a few bent valves. Nothing more if you're lucky.
After you feel a little better start taking things apart and get the heads rebuilt.
You are in good company my friend... Spent all winter tearing a car apart and refabbing into a race car, pro build on the motor, get about 8 hours out of it before (we think - need to confirm next weekend) a rod busts and cracks the case. Best thing for you is to get back on that horse and ride it till it behaves!
SLITS
Ok Jared - to ease the pain, I may have a 1.7 or 1.8 long block that is useable to get you back on the road. Have to support our troops ya know flag.gif You can worry about fixing the other engine some other time. smash.gif

Maybe we can do the sideshft conversion at the same time. biggrin.gif

Oh, I would post the images of an "overrev" of my engine, but I'm trying not to remember. sad.gif
rick 918-S
What a great group! smilie_pokal.gif It was sounding real bad. sad.gif But now it's sounding like it could have be worse. huh.gif
Take these guy's up on their random act of kindness and do the same for someonw else. burnout.gif
machina
Will an improved shifter like the rennshift make the shift to 4th safer, more accurate?

My experience has been that these thing happen in the heat of battle when you are shifting and braking by instinct and thinking more about the race.

I zinged my old 1.7 to 8 grand or so a few times hitting 2nd by mistake but somehow it held together.

Don't want to make that mistake with the new motor.

dr
Bleyseng
Yeah, at the track day I over reved the motor too. Damn cone screw was backing out as I was driving and hit 2nd instead of 4th but only hit 7500rpms lightly. My 2056 justs leaks oil like a sieve now and no time to pull it to reseal it. No AX or track days until I fix it.
I think what happens is that with stock valve springs the valve float and the pistons hit them cuz the valve stay open. Bent valves aren't too hard to fix.
Moral of story- Make sure your shift linkage is in top notch shape!

Geoff
SLITS
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Jul 13 2004, 06:40 AM)
Will an improved shifter like the rennshift make the shift to 4th safer, more accurate?

Ok, I'm gonna get flamed for this one - A road race is not a drag race and to me there is no need to speed shift. My rule of thumb was always two fingers and thumb on the gear shift and left foot on the clutch UNTIL I was positive that I had the correct gear. If I lost a race because of a missed shift at least I didn't have a blown motor to deal with.
nine14cats
Hi Slits,

I thought the same thing about road racing...until I started doing it and you start being able to go faster, deeper into the corner, faster through the corner faster everywhere and start shifting quicker. On a 3 mile track...it makes a difference in your lap times if you are hitting the shift quick and right...it really is a good time. Unfortunately you do pay a price when you miss. I'm one of those guys paying the price....

Would I do it again (speed shift?)....yup...next year I'll be at it again...I can't explain it...I'm a speed junkie.... laugh.gif

Sorry to hear about the motor Jay....parking it for awhile is a decent idea. I'm feeling okay after blowing my motor a few weeks ago...now I'm just trying to find the time to tear the engine down...I'm just going to figure it out. We'll see....I built my house with no experience by myself...just figuring out things as I went. I had plenty of help by asking knowledgable people....and I plan on using this board to help me with my engine rebuild.

Hang in there.

Bill P.

Bill P.
Instead of "speed shifting", why not improve your equipment and methods? Little tricks like having your clutch grab way up high by adjusting where the pedal engages is a nice one. Imagine you have 20 or so shifts to complete on a long track like Sebring or Watkins Glen. A tenthof a second less time every single shift becuase the engagement point is higher can save you 2 SECONDS!!!!! The pro drivers have this down pat first because of skill, but second because the equipment supports it. Or working on your heel-toe so that shifts are nice and smooth with minimal wear on the engine and tranny. How about working on braking points to eek that tenth or so on every corner? The thing about "speed" shifting is that it often doesnt equate to "smooth" shifting, and Bill probably has that down cold. On the equipment side, enough cannot be said for well designed, well maintained equipment.

Bill
SLITS
Hey Guys, wasn't saying you can't shift fast - experience gets you there - actually experience in YOUR car not someone elses. It's the newbie "slamming shift" I was talking about - Ya know - the gorilla grip on the stick and side stepping the clutch.

No, I didn't have a beer between shifts laugh.gif either and I have toasted a couple of engines/trannys in the process.
Mueller
I'm thinking some people are getting speed shifting and shifting @ speed confused with each other smile.gif

unless you have the gates 1 foot apart, it can happen in the heat of things or just if you have a brain fart and "forget" what gear or for me, what car I am driving since my P-cars have totally different patterns.
DrifterJay
hey guys, hows it going...thanx for the support....I appreciate your offer on the longblock...will give it thought...still feel like a bastard for getting that clutch from you...and Scott for the towing...will take my time on the engine...maybe source some clean heads for cheap...well see....might be back in socal this weekend...not sure yet...if I am, I can probably help with Joes car if you want Scott...will talk to you all soon...thank you all for being there for me and my beater smile.gif .

Jared Villanueva
street legal go-kart
Buy a used engine from a club member,drive the car and save the big ducats for a fix on your big moter.
Also until you pull the heads don't think worst case. When my bro inlaw was racing buggies we regularly just pulled just jugg and heads on Type one 1600cc stock class moters that had been just tortured . Put new stuff on the lower end and run the same 3 bottom ends for 2-3 years without tear downs. 1600cc Desert buggies is one of the most demanding to run with drivers running 5-600 rpm over red line constantly.
good luck

JT
Joe Bob
Well....I have an extra head....rebuilt. Have to get some $$ for it....but I have some FREE flywheels and clutches....
Joe Bob
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 13 2004, 08:52 AM)
Hey Guys, wasn't saying you can't shift fast - experience gets you there - actually experience in YOUR car not someone elses. It's the newbie "slamming shift" I was talking about - Ya know - the gorilla grip on the stick and side stepping the clutch.

No, I didn't have a beer between shifts laugh.gif either and I have toasted a couple of engines/trannys in the process.

Porsche transmission's have been the best teacher for patience....you simply can't hurry them.....kind of like my wife and kids... wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.