Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: White interior-how rare is it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PBC914
I have a 75 1.8 Malaga Red 914 that I just purchased 2 weeks ago. While doing the PPI, I found that the black interior had worn by the seat belt, and white was showing through. Then while perusing through the owner's manual, there it was, confirmation that the car interior was white (and change to black by the DAPO!). I'm in the process of carefully removing the black and bringing back the white.

I've seen other's point to the Porsche ad that shows a blue 914 with white.

If it is rare, I'll have even more fun bringing it back! Fun either way.

I would be glad to post pics too.

Seats, back rest, center pad and door vinyl is white, with light tan carpeting (all painted black, but being revealed!).
SUNAB914
Click to view attachmentYou mean like this? My center pad is now white.
PBC914
umm...yeah-that is a NICE white interior!
markb
Do it! It's nice to see something other than black.
watsonrx13
I owned a '76 for a couple of weeks that had a white interior. Here's a link to my website showing the car.

Click to view attachment

--- Rob
PBC914
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Sep 1 2011, 05:59 PM) *

umm...yeah-that is a NICE white interior!

Your center console sides are white, mine had air conditioning and was removed, and the sides are black. Was that something you did or is it factory?
rick 918-S
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif aktion035.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Cap'n Krusty
IMO, not rare enough. But that's just my opinion ...............

The Cap'n
BajaXJ92
My '75 is Laguna Blue with white interior.....really the only reason I bought the car biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSbB1K0x5CA...be_gdata_player

JmuRiz
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Sep 1 2011, 04:08 PM) *

My '75 is Laguna Blue with white interior.....really the only reason I bought the car biggrin.gif

Hey, is that John's old car? I loved his blue car with white interior!
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 1 2011, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Sep 1 2011, 04:08 PM) *

Hey, is that John's old car? I loved his blue car with white interior!

It is! I bought it from John in May '06. I haven't heard from him in a while, any idea how he's doing?
poorsche914
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Sep 1 2011, 06:10 PM) *
...Then while perusing through the owner's manual, there it was, confirmation that the car interior was white (and change to black by the DAPO!). I'm in the process of carefully removing the black and bringing back the white...

The DAPO of my LE dyed the tan interior black dry.gif
What are you using to remove the dye? I may try that on pieces of my interior.

thanks,
steve

driving.gif
rick 918-S
I wonder how hard it would be to find white basket weave..... idea.gif Didn't some of the beetles have white basket weave or was it more like a small square block pattern?
VaccaRabite
Wow. Until today I had no idea white was ever even offered. Learn something new daily!

Zach

PBC914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 1 2011, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(PBC914 @ Sep 1 2011, 06:10 PM) *
...Then while perusing through the owner's manual, there it was, confirmation that the car interior was white (and change to black by the DAPO!). I'm in the process of carefully removing the black and bringing back the white...

The DAPO of my LE dyed the tan interior black dry.gif
What are you using to remove the dye? I may try that on pieces of my interior.

thanks,
steve

driving.gif

Although not recommended by some, carefully I used lacquer thinner and then followed up with a rinsed rag to wash down the vinyl. Others will say this will melt the vinyl. It didn't. If I can get black off of white (with no trace of black), you'll be fine. I followed up with a wipe down of baby oil on the vinyl, let it sit for an hour, and then wiped off whatever was not absorbed. The vinyl looks brand new, and is very pliable.
nsr-jamie
Wow, don't see what everday...mostly black...I like the white....whats with the center console? I always thought they came in black....I believe white was only on the later cars....nice interior
poorsche914
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Sep 1 2011, 10:14 PM) *
Although not recommended by some, carefully I used lacquer thinner and then followed up with a rinsed rag to wash down the vinyl. Others will say this will melt the vinyl. It didn't. If I can get black off of white (with no trace of black), you'll be fine. I followed up with a wipe down of baby oil on the vinyl, let it sit for an hour, and then wiped off whatever was not absorbed. The vinyl looks brand new, and is very pliable.

Thanks, I will give this a try!

driving.gif
IronHillRestorations
I don't care much for the chocolate brown, but I really like the white and light tans. Alex Buller ^RIP^ founder of the 914 Renegade Festivals had a beautiful copper car with a white interior.

With an open cockpit car I really like the lighter colors. The dark metallic blues with white interior is a look I could live with.
clow
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 1 2011, 05:47 PM) *

Wow. Until today I had no idea white was ever even offered. Learn something new daily!

Zach

+1.

I really like it. Although it would look nice in my car I don't know how long I could keep the white clean before it got dirty and greasy.
Rand
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 1 2011, 04:56 PM) *

IMO, not rare enough. But that's just my opinion ...............

The Cap'n

I will join the Krusty one in the unpopular corner. beerchug.gif
Not as hot in the sun, but otherwise I don't like it.
I love the unique factor. Just not my style.
SUNAB914
I recovered the center console in white, I think i ordered material from JBUGS. AC was a dealer option of course. Still works too, nice to have on those hot days. Thanks
majkos
somebody say White Interior!?
"Beauty" has white interior
Click to view attachment
Drums66
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Sep 1 2011, 03:49 PM) *

Click to view attachmentYou mean like this? My center pad is now white.

....Man that is so cool!(not reccomended for teeners with kid's...LOL) idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Drums66
QUOTE(majkos @ Sep 2 2011, 05:57 AM) *

somebody say White Interior!?
"Beauty" has white interior
Click to view attachment

......High 5 to you!! first.gif
sunglasses.gif bye1.gif
jt914-6
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 1 2011, 10:10 PM) *

With an open cockpit car I really like the lighter colors. The dark metallic blues with white interior is a look I could live with.

Click to view attachment
my wife hates my car
Click to view attachmentSo I guess this ISN'T original? unsure.gif ha ha....was probobly pretty neat in it's time. I'l bet you guys will tell me that the purple center console isn't factory either? Man.thought I had a 916 there............

IronHillRestorations
Dat's it JT!
Tom_T
FYI white interior folks looking to do CW resto, George at AA has a bunch of the NOS OEM very light tan/oatmeal color loop pile carpet in his attic NOS stash. Not sure if he has a complete set(s), but IIRC he picked up the last available & still has a significant stockpile. It won't be cheap, but I suggest that you call George directly to tell him what you need, so he can see what's up there - but you may need to wait for cooler weather to send someone up in that non-A/C attic!

IMHO the white really looks sharp with certain OEM paint colors - esp the blues for me! wub.gif
.... but it's probably a PITA to keep clean, but definitely cooler in the heat.

... in fact my 85 BMW 325e has an Ivory interior & I love it!

Nice ones shown here! beerchug.gif
SirAndy
The guys at EASY had a full white interior a few years back that was in *perfect* condition. I posted it here but nobody was interested. So it went to the crusher with the rest of the car.

dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.