Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What To Use For Fuel Tank Pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pilothyer
After seeing rust and pits on the fuel tank where it contacts the felt pads, I am wondering what else I could use in their place. It seems like the original felt pads held moisture and created a rust patch at each location on the tank. What would you replace them with to prevent this from happening again ? Any suggestions? Thanks.........Jerry
PanelBilly
I used rubber from the plumbing department
tomeric914
I used rubber base molding, the kind that goes around the base of kitchen cabinets. Cut it to fit and stacked it as needed. Use upholstery adhesive to keep it together and in place.
jcambo7
Other than a rubber pad I would suggest moe hair. Seeing your avatar it seems like you fly so you may know what this is. They use it on airplanes in areas where the sheet metal may contact other sheet metal. Example is like where flaps track back to 0 degrees into the wing. It may work better than rubber.
pktzygt
Recycle your old stained white with black lettering 914world.com mousepad.

Probably not the most professional looking fix, but...
Spoke
I've used the furniture foot pads from Home Depot or Lowes. They have some that come in 4x6in or so pads with adhesive on the backside.

I don't worry about water much since I try not to have my 914 out if it might rain.
dlestep
...do NOT use neoprene (mousepads, etc.) under the fuel tank.
Open cell foam and rubber holds water.
I went to a local rubber company and purchased three 12 x 12 inch
cuts of .250 inch thick sheet.
I've cut two 2.250 x 4.000 strips for the tank.

I plan to use the same thickness of rubber on the floor in front of the seats.
It will provide protection for the floor from being scrubbed by shoes and
crap, and is easy to remove and clean.

You can even purchase pre-cut rubber sheets on-line from McMaster-Carr.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.