Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is heater blower motor in engine compartment always suppose to be on?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hi, I have done lots of work to my car and am now starting to work out some of the smaller and annoying problems...one of them is this....

My heater blower motor in the engine compartment seems to always be on when I turn on the ignition or start the car...is this how they are supposed to be? I always thought it was turned off and on with that switch or lever on the floor with the red knob that you pull up.

I know that when I pull up the lever on my car the flappers in the exhaust open and allow warm air into the car....but I always thought this was also how you turned off and on the engine blower...

Is my car wired wrong? I have fixed quite a few wire problems this year from the past owner who screwed things up badly....or is this is how the cars come? I just noticed this recently.

If anybody can help or offer some advice would be great, thank you

beerchug.gif
underthetire
It's supposed to go off. The red lever is a grounding circuit.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 3 2011, 08:29 PM) *
Is heater blower motor in engine compartment always suppose to be on?

No

I know that when I pull up the lever on my car the flappers in the exhaust open and allow warm air into the car....but I always thought this was also how you turned off and on the engine blower...

Yes

Is my car wired wrong?

Probably

biggrin.gif
nsr-jamie
Wow, that was fast...so now it looks like I need to fix this little problem..I will check out my Haynes manual for starters..I am guessing it has got to be in the relay board in the engine compartment. Yet another small problem I need to take care of...you would be surprised how many problems I have fixed over this year and they never end.
jt914-6
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 3 2011, 10:46 PM) *
you would be surprised how many problems I have fixed over this year and they never end.

NO....us old timer teener owners would believe it....it's just part of owning a 914.... smash.gif
904svo
The heater lever grounds the green/white wire when operated, this in turn operates the blower relay which supply's power to the fan motor. I would check
the blower relay first, change it first and see if this clears your problem, if not
check the green/white wire on the heater switch it may be falsely grounded.
It should have 12Volts on it when not connected to the heater lever.
nsr-jamie
Thank you, I will try this out this weekend when I have some time to work on my car...wish I had more time to do things on the car...I feel I am pretty lucky and have made some serious progress in the last 8 months or so....I also have some big news coming up soon too about my car
swl
My best guess is at the switch. Relays usually fail open.

Pull out the relay and measure resistance between pin 86 and ground. Betcha find it is a short. Then all you have to do is find out where that short is happening. Again - odds are on the swtich itself in the red lever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.