Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: not so typical build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
yellowporky
I thought is was time to start a build thread now that it is clear the car will be completed.
The project started as a 1975 1.8 in good condition. Here are the specs for the car.
- Audi 2.7tt v6 with Vems standalone ecu
- Boxster (Audi 012) 5-speed transmission
- F&R suspension from 993

This is how the car has sat for about 10 years
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JRust
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. The build sounds cool though. I think Rohar up in WA is doing an Audi motor too. Congrats on doing something out of the norm. Love to see your progress pics as you go along beer.gif
rohar
Yup sitting on two Audi motors now smile.gif The 2.7 is a nice choice assuming the rings are still good. People tend to run the snot out of them, but I don't blame them. What're you planning for half shafts?

edit: I just noticed this part "F&R suspension from 993" I have a feeling where this is gonna go. Good on ya!
rohar
That is beautiful. Two questions: Why is your exhaust pipe sticking out where the front bumper should be? wink.gif How do you expect to live through the shake down?
rick 918-S
Nice!
Mike Bellis
Very Cool! I will have to come visit you sometime...
yellowporky
I guess my pics are to large so I will make multiple posts. These will be some of the underside of the car.

Click to view attachment
yellowporky
Click to view attachment
yellowporky
One of my favorite angles
Click to view attachment
yellowporky
Click to view attachment
yellowporky
Almost ready to drive. Waiting on the calipers to get back from the powder coater and some final programing of the ecu. Seems strange to see it as a whole car after 12 years of pieces in boxes.
The builder has already had it running but I have not heard it yet. I can't wait to hear it.

rohar- the half shafts are boxster, no mods required

If anyone local wants to stop in for a peek let me know.

Click to view attachment
yellowporky
So now where does the top go?
Click to view attachment
cwpeden
Any concern for the plastic tail light buckets right next to the exhaust?
mark21742
Beautiful build! Can't wait to see this when It's finished!
nsr-jamie
Wow! That engine looks pretty good in there....how many HP are you talking about? First time to see something like this...please make sure you complete the project and show us all with lots of pictures. We like pictures
Vysoc

I guess my golf clubs will have to go on the passenger seat. idea.gif

That is A LOT OF ACTION - wow. flag.gif

Have fun!!

Vysoc flag.gif
abnrdo
Awesome work. Cant wait to see more!! popcorn[1].gif
Mike Bellis
What I see is very impressive. I can hardly wait to see it in person. Only 20 miles away!
yellowporky
We will be addressing any heat issues like the proximity of the plastic tail lights as we complete the car.
I believe that it is going to be around 325hp on pump gas.
The reason that I waited so long to start the thread is that I wanted to be sure that the car was actually going to be completed.
I will keep updating progress.
Thanks for the possitive comments,
Chris

veltror
Stunning, this really is the dogs bollocks
rohar
So after sleeping over my visceral excitement, I've got a few questions. Where'd you source the fuel tank? Looks like you ran cooling lines down the center tunnel, what are you doing for insulation around them? What did you do for a clutch pedal solution?
yellowporky
I forgot to mention that we retained the power brakes and power steering of the 993. the pedal assembly is stock 993 so the hydraulic clutch was straight forward.
The fuel tank is 964/993 and bolts in to the stock 993 pan as does the pedals, brake fluid reservoir.
jimkelly
why are all the most insane fabricators in CA?

that is looking sweet : )

jim
rohar
I love the build so far. Guess I'm REALLY gonna have to step up my game this winter with all the amazing builds happening lately.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 4 2011, 01:50 PM) *

why are all the most insane fabricators in CA?

Great weather and cheap drugs!
smoke.gif smash.gif smoke.gif welder.gif smoke.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smoke.gif chair.gif smoke.gif sheeplove.gif smoke.gif poke.gif
okieflyr
That is really cool! Is this going to be a street car? or track only? I am interested to see how you did the pwr brake setup. I couldn't see any bead flair on your coolant tubes. I ran mine through the console as well and it definitely cleans up the bottom of the car. popcorn[1].gif
yellowporky
This is going to be a street car and maybe occasional autocross. We will run it on the track to test it out but not to compete.
All of the coolant lines were beaded in place using an earls ez-beader.
The power steering was straight forward (if there is such a thing) using the pump that came on the engine and the rack that was included with the front suspension. We used a 993 reservoir that you can see mounted in the engine compartment behind driver.
rohar
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Sep 4 2011, 05:20 PM) *

That is really cool! Is this going to be a street car? or track only? I am interested to see how you did the pwr brake setup. I couldn't see any bead flair on your coolant tubes. I ran mine through the console as well and it definitely cleans up the bottom of the car. popcorn[1].gif

That's the next decision on mine. How's the heat coming from the console? I've got some terrible ideas for insulation if you notice it at all.
okieflyr
Chris, where did you mount and link the vac booster for the brake system? Did you eliminate the ABS? I used the Earls bead tool as well when I had the steel lines. I've since gone to silicone coolant lines that are insulated inside the console.

Rohar, I do get a little bit of heat wafting. I don't think it is so much from the lines directly, as much as the air and vaccum dynamics pulling around the less than perfect body sealing. Engine heat is playing a role as well. The slight amount I do get is welcome on cool mornings and evenings with the top off. It's not much fun in the sun when it is 85* plus. Overall the heater core works well to clear the fog on the windshield on rainy days, and comfort in the winter.
yellowporky
The booster is included with the 993 front suspension.
Yes we eliminated the abs.
rohar
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Sep 4 2011, 06:47 PM) *

Chris, where did you mount and link the vac booster for the brake system? Did you eliminate the ABS? I used the Earls bead tool as well when I had the steel lines. I've since gone to silicone coolant lines that are insulated inside the console.

Rohar, I do get a little bit of heat wafting. I don't think it is so much from the lines directly, as much as the air and vaccum dynamics pulling around the less than perfect body sealing. Engine heat is playing a role as well. The slight amount I do get is welcome on cool mornings and evenings with the top off. It's not much fun in the sun when it is 85* plus. Overall the heater core works well to clear the fog on the windshield on rainy days, and comfort in the winter.

Not to threadjack, but it seems we're all in the same boat. I'm pretty much convinced my cooling is going down the tunnel. I'll take the top off it and push some steel tubes right through the middle.

I'm a little concerned about the heat in the cabin, so I intend to cover it with insulated pieces made of pearlite and silicone. Pearlite is an awesome refractory an light as hell. I'll add just enough silicone to keep it together. All the heat should exit under the car.
Mike Bellis
You could do a simple ghetto insulation. Get some rolls of heavy paper and Aluminum foil. then wrap several alternating layers; Aluminum, paper, Aluminum, paper... Wrap it tight and put 6-7 layers on it. Works very well. I would also recommend Aluminum electrical conduit for coolant tubes (available at electrical wholesale house) It will conduct less heat into the cabin than steel or copper.
rohar
Meh, too hard and expensive. 1 bag of pearlite, $3 at the local garden shop. A tube of silicone, $8 at ACE. They're overly helpfull, when I walk in the door an "associate" asks me if he can help, I say yeah go get me a tube of pure silicon caulk an they do. I just realized they carry pearlite too. Guess I don't have to pull anything off the shelves. Mix until sticky and form. $11 for a lightweight thermal barrier seems like a good choice.
yellowporky
Here is a photo of the gauges that north hollywood speedo did 10 years ago and then were set on the shelf until 6 months ago when they had to redo the speedo again for the electronic speedo and then the tac to add the boost gauge. The temp had to be changed to water from oil and also the oil tank level was changed to a voltage gauge.
This should be the final configuration.
The interior was done in tan leather and wool carpet about 10 years ago. Maybe will finally be installed this year.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
roadster fan
Wow! Cant wait to see it in person. That is gonna be a fun ride!

Jim
rohar
Great, now it's going to be pretty too. There's no point in competing against this one. Good on ya!
rohar
Oh, and the redline on your tach seems a bit low and your speedo doesn't go high enough smile.gif
yellowporky
We realized the deficiencies in the gauges also but we are planning to have an on board computer to help track the actual speeds when being tested on the track. These gauges are for street driving.
We are planning a matte titanium paint job to keep things subtle.
I am hoping that the 930 flares will go on soon.
yellowporky
I found the original wheelbase dimension on Pelican Parts
Wheelbase= 96 1/2"
New Wheelbase= 97 3/4"

One interesting thing that we notice when hooking up the steering column was that it was off center and pointing towards the center of the car. So with the 993 steering rack having the input on the driver side we were able to move the steerng column to the center of the driver seet and have it pointing strait forward.
So many things to remember to post.
yellowporky
It felt like christmas today. I recieved the caliper rebuild kits from Bob at Sunset imports in Beaverton Or. Great prices compared to my local dealer and no sales tax.
I also picked up the calipers from the powder coater and they look amazing. Now I need to remember where I put the Porshce decals for them.

Then when I got home I had an email from Marc Swanson at EFI Express that had the base programing for the ecu. Marc is a great guy and very helpfull.

Very excited for this week, maybe I will get to hear the car run.

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
It doesn't look like there is any room in the front for a spare. How will you power you windshield washers???

Yes, I am joking. Incredible build! Can't wait to see this unfold.
Cheapsnake
Looks like excellent engineering and workmanship. That engine/tranny install is a work of art. Did you replace any of the structure/stiffness lost with the removal of the trunk floor?

Tom
yellowporky
Thanks for the positive comments. The 993 subframe adds stability to the rear end and the builder added lots of reinforcements to the chassis. You would need to see it in person to really appreciate the detail and engineering.
All of the weight of the engine and trans sit on the suspension now instead of the hanging from the frame. Look at where the motor and trans mounts are located in relation to the pick up points for the rear sub frame. No more trying to fold the rear of the car with the trailing arms.
yellowporky
I have allways wanted big red calipers on my 914.
One step closer to driving.

Click to view attachment
Chris Pincetich
can't wait to see this monster on some NorCal roads beerchug.gif
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Sep 3 2011, 10:55 PM) *

So now where does the top go?
Click to view attachment

Can you get heat resistant lexan to cover the rear? Why hide all that?
biggrin.gif
yellowporky
Most likely there will be some large ducts in the rear lid that you will be able to see in but primarily
so the car will not get sucked off of the road at over 130mph like a normal 914. My buddy who is building this in my garage is a pilot and general all around einstien so I feel confident he will make it stick even if we have to run a wing on the track when we test it.
yellowporky
Here are a couple shots of the front suspension all cleaned up and put back together

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jaxdream
Dem big hairy a$$ rotors !!!!! Ruuufff !
As close as you are to Bonneville , it would be a hoot to see what you could get there !!!
Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.