Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 Turbo Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
Why aren't they used in 914 conversion cars? I did a search on the board for 944 transmission but came up blank. For a six speed a 968 transmission could be used.

I'm sure there is a reason why they are not used but I don't know it. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Jeroen
It has been discussed here...
IIRC, the problem was that in a 944, the starter is on the engine and not on the tranny
(same problem with the Boxster / Audi trannies)

cheers,

Jeroen
soloracer
I knew there was something. That makes a lot of sense because of the location of the engine in relation to the transmission on the 944.
Mueller
you could always be the 1st to do it.......someone has to step up and take the plunge smile.gif

even without the fitment issues, cost is a driving factor in why some parts are not used....I'd guess the price for these transmissions are still up there...not too sure about the strength of these as well, for a few bucks more, there might be better choices...........
seanery
Couldn't you just build a little ramp in your driveway. You drive up, pull the emergency brake then go inside. In the morning you put the key in, turn it on, release the brake, car in 1st, clutch in and voila. biggrin.gif Unless the car won't start the 1st time. headbang.gif
Andyrew
Also the clutch unit is different, Ie no clutch fork. Its hydraulic.. Could that be helped?

Heck, if its just the Starter.. One could always cut into the trani cover. then weld a plate from the 914 trani in..

Me and dad where thinking about this one....

Actually I thought about cutting the 914 trani in half or so... So that the clutch assymbly and the starter could be retained in the enine side piece, then cut off the same thing on the 944 trani... Then weld....

Eh?

Andrew
TimT
Also the 944 LSD is a bit "wanting" its only a two plate dif.....
Andyrew
The 944 turbo trani with LSD is pretty good....

The race car has it, and If im going to break loose, then both are going to break loose...

Its nice for auto x.... But with extra hp on tap, both me and dad never are fully on the throttle... (honestly great practice for my v8 swap)

Tim, the trani's are less expensive than 930 trani's... And less expensive than 915 trani's. Plus there wide gears, and it shifts pretty good. (you'd have to go with cable shift because the shift lever is on top of the trani)

They are like 600 dollar trani's... Support 500+ even 600 hp..

What about.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33733

Good buy? Cant afford it.. so someone might want to jump on this one.

Andrew
soloracer
My 89 944 turbo dyno'd at 280 rwhp/307 lb-ft torque at 15 psi (k27/8) and I've never had a transmission problem. I know others who are making more power and it seems like the transmission is holding up fine. The 915 transmission I have for my project car is not an LSD model and from the looks of it the cost to purchase and install an LSD could be in excess of what a good used 944 turbo transmission would be. However, if a 944 turbo transmission has never been done and there are a lot of problems getting one to work I think I will keep looking for a cheap LSD for my 915.

The Kennedy Engineering info I got with my adapter plate says that the G50 is for rear engine (not mid engine) use only.
iiibdsiil
I heard the G50s don't fit. Or was I mistaken?
Mueller
i thought the deal with the G50's are that the ring gear cannot be flipped??? please correct me if I'm wrong !!!! smile.gif

no big deal if doing a Chevy V8 or Corvair motor or 4 banger Honda since the last 2 run "backwards" and special cams are sold to make Chevy V8's run "backwards" as well (I'd think almost any engine can be conververted to run the "other" way if have to)
Jeroen
From what I heard, you can mount the G50 upside down in a 914 (instead of flipping the gears). You'd need to take care of some oiling issues though and a cable shifter

cheers,

Jeroen
andys
The 944 trans is nearly identical to the Audi type 016 found in the Audi 5000. Can be had for cheap ($200-$400 range), as there's lots out there. Differences are, that the Audi has a starter/clutch/TO bearing provision, and the 944 does not. Kennedy does make an adapter for a SBC or SBF to the Audi. The 944 turbo differes in that the ratios are taller (trans and diff), has an available LSD, oil cooler, and the inputshaft/1st gear is heat treated. Un-confirmed, is that the turbo trans has larger differential bearings. I don't expect it reasonable to adapt the 016 to a 4 cylinder.

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.