Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 1.8 - idle issue and exhaust spitting gas and air
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iove1052
Hi guys

I am back with unsolved problems..

I have 73 with 1.8 european engine (VIN starts with AT and according to Dave, AT is from a European-spec VW 412. http://tunacan.net/t4/reference/case.htm)
So I thought the car has FI but now I do not know what it has..ha...ha.. yes I simply do not know anything...

Anyways let me start with the most visible issue the car has.

Well I mentioned on the other post that I had a tune up from this place.
They worked on replacing 4 spark plugs, wire set, and oil change, wire to injector foul EDI adjust timing & A/F meter and he was mentioning of valve so perhaps valve job done as well?

After tune up the car runs better as they set the idle higher but still has problem turning on if it sits for couple hours or less...

Once the car starts, it starts pouring out gas and air(massive amount of white gas).
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Someone from Pelican had asimilar issue and people were mentioning of doing valve adjustment. (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914-914-6-technical-forum/334985-914-1-7-4-carbs-spitting-gas-exhaust-carb.html). As of this point, I am not sure if this is caused by the valve job that was done by my mechanic or something else.(I did not have this issue before I had the tune up so I guess it's their fault?) What would be the solution?

When the car is initially started, idle is set on 1200-1300 no oil pressure light on, then the car starts vibrating (that's when gas and air starts coming out of the exhaust) and idle starts going down.. if it hits below 1,200, oil pressure light starts blinking. Eventually car dies.. Basically car does not hold the idle when warm. (Car died when I reduced the speed to exit freeway too) Any suggestion?

Thank you guys I will post more pics later so those will give you better idea where I should start from
iove1052
Click to view attachment
iove1052
Click to view attachment
iove1052
Click to view attachment
iove1052
QUOTE(iove1052 @ Sep 4 2011, 09:45 AM) *

Click to view attachment
iove1052
Click to view attachment
iove1052
Click to view attachment
Sorry for big files..
underthetire
Well, that aint good. Looks like a standard '73 Djet injection. You have an injector sticking open i'll bet. Could be a bad injector, bad ECU, or even bad injector points maybe? Either way, your doing serious damage if thats fuel coming out the tailpipe.
914_teener
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 4 2011, 10:04 PM) *

Well, that aint good. Looks like a standard '73 Djet injection. You have an injector sticking open i'll bet. Could be a bad injector, bad ECU, or even bad injector points maybe? Either way, your doing serious damage if thats fuel coming out the tailpipe.

I might agree with the bad ECU which is what my D-jet was doing.

But....I rebuilt my entire D-jet injection....so I don't admit to not knowing anything.

First bit of advice is to stick with the folks here....and learn about these cars.....OR find a mechanic who knows D-jet ......and has a reputation.

Where in CA are you...and maybe someone has a good suggestion for you.

Running that engine with that much fuel out the exhaust means you have a serious problem...or multiple problems with the FI.
iove1052
Thank you guys...
Haha I am in big trouble now I guess..
I do not know where and what to start from..

QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 4 2011, 11:16 PM) *

Where in CA are you...and maybe someone has a good suggestion for you.

I live in Orange County... Yes please refer me some good mechanics..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.