Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice on a potential 914 purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
O0 Ia
Sorry if this question has been asked before (this is my first post).

I'm looking at my first 914: 1974 2.0 original owner (garage kept has most/all records) approximately 80k miles. Sounds like it has both the sports package and appearence package. $3000

The owner seemed to indicate that car is mostly rust free (I haven't seen car yet - I plan on looking at it on Saturday). According to him there's a rust spot on the back near one of the tail lights and battery tray has some rust unsure.gif but is still intacted. The frame rails, rocker panels, and floor plans are rust free. Also he mentioned that the rear sway bar wasn't attached (not sure if it's actually removed or just disconnected). Appearenly it wasn't working so he had it removed (Is this common issue, is that a rust prone area?). He says the car runs, doesn't burn or leak oil, and he used it as a daily driver for about first 27 years.

Other things of note: the owner drove the car in the snow ohmy.gif (salt?) and lives near the coast (salt?). So there's the potential for more rust.

Does this sound like a good deal?
Anything else I should look for or ask?

thanks
EdwardBlume
Sounds like a winner if there really isn't too much rust. Look at the gaps particularly on the passenger side. Wrong gaps, doors not fitting, etc would indicate rust and body sag -bad things.

Look for rust behind the seats, underneath the battery and behind the rockers if possible. The rust in the trunk is common as the seal on the real lense typically leak.

Take picts and post here if possible.

Good luck and I hope it works out. !!!!!
JeffBowlsby
There is an active N Virginia 914 group too...with some knowledgable 914 owners that may be able to help you. They just had a nice 9:14 breakfast a couple weeks ago...

Search for and contact JohnB on this forum for more info.
ChrisFoley
I don't think you can go wrong with this one, and if you don't buy it someone else will snap it up at that price. A garaged, one owner 914 is kind of a rare find.
Just to be on the safe side you could have a knowledgeable 914 person in your area do a Pre Purchase Inspection for you as part of your purchase agreement with the seller.
Good luck, and welcome to the club!
seanery
knowing where to look for the trouble spots will help in your inspection. The best choice, as the others have said, is to take someone who'e been there done that. It could save you lots of $ and headache.

Welcome to the club!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.