Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing Shoes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I'm looking for some nimble shoes, right?

I go to the race track and look at the $120-$180 pairs. barf.gif

The guy says: " Let me give you a little advice. Go buy wrestling shoes. They are exactly the same as karting shoes".

I went to SportMart in Vacaville on Sat afternoon and found Nike's for $40. mueba.gif

Very good fit. They feel like stiff socks.

I put them on in the parking lot and drove to Winters, over the hill on 128 to Lake Berryessa and into Napa. SPIRITED ALL THE WAY.

Look out.

KT
Joe Ricard
Yup and if you want to whipp someones ass you are all set. slap.gif
Aaron Cox
heheh, my racing shoes

*converse all stars
*vans old skools......
biggrin.gif
Randal
wrestling shoes

Do they have rubber soles and if so how thick?

We need a picture Mr. T.
URY914
I've seen guys wearing them at autox's. Always found it odd that a Mustang driver needs to change shoes to drive the course. confused24.gif

But I guess it looks faster, therefore it is faster... cool_shades.gif

Paul
jandro62
Yeah, the wrestling shoes are pretty much the same thing. Alternatively, Puma has started selling speedcats through local retailers, and they are basically a lowtop racing shoe, and more comfortable imho than the wrestling shoes all around.
djm914-6
What about the Piloti that Griot's Garage has been pushing? They look ok though my preferance is a leather moc style.

Normally I just wear my well broken in Sperry Boat Shoes.
jandro62
The piloti's look a little bulkier to me, but I don't know about their comfort level.
TimT
What about the Piloti that Griot's Garage has been pushing?

I had pilotis...there is nothing about them makes them any better or worse than any other driving shoe Ive owned...

but please dont buy them from Griots...Im sure you can get them for much less than the price you see in griots... that is if you want to buy them

Ive seen lots of guys use wrestling shoes at DE's Aisics etc..

You cant race with wrestling shoes... well maybe you could, but if they ever scrut you you may be SOL
seanery
Simpson Lowtops are reasonable at $79 list
Simpson Lowtops
IPB Image
Mueller
thanks for the link Sean...those are pretty reasonable...and they have Nomex® liners, which the wrestling shoes do not have cool.gif
jgiroux67
If you want good racing shoes that are cheap go with the adidas tuscany gt, monza, or monaco. They can all be had for under $80 and they look great. The tuscany's are lowtop but the monza and monaco are high tops.
drew365
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 14 2004, 05:03 PM)
thanks for the link Sean...those are pretty reasonable...and they have Nomex® liners, which the wrestling shoes do not have cool.gif

I've always wondered why I bother wearing Nomex socks when the engine is behind me. I guess if I run straight into a wall they might come in handy, but I'd probably have more problems at that point than socks will cure. ohmy.gif
Mueller
ummm.....gas tank sitting damn near on top of your feet ??? a crash could cause leakage???? wacko.gif
carreraguy
If you bike, try using your biking shoes - works great for me since you have a much narrower shoe and reinforced sole it makes heel and toeing much easier. Of course I'm assuming your bike soles are flat and not the clip on/quick release kind.
EdwardBlume
Yep... wrestling shoes.... Big 5
Trekkor
I've driven in these for about one hour so far and they are very comfortable.

They are extremly lightweight also. When I pick up the shoebox it feels like the box is empty.

Randal, firm rubber soles, semi flexible.

here's some pics cool_shades.gif

KT
Trekkor
uno mas, amigos biggrin.gif
RoadGlue
I drive with Adidas Sambas - they are an indoor soccer shoe that's been around since the 80's. Thin soles, comfortable and narrow.

IPB Image
KenH
Hummmm - if you are going to be in a situation where there may be fire...

HOW MUCH ARE YOUR FEET WORTH???

Ken
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jul 14 2004, 05:12 PM)
I've always wondered why I bother wearing Nomex socks when the engine is behind me.

because as you stand there, fire extinguisher in hand, as the burning fluids begin to seep toward you, you will thank youself that you had the foresight ...

when i bought my Simpson lowtops i really had no other suitable competition driving shoes, so i had to buy -something- anyway. i just don't like the idea of buying stuff twice, and as i expect that someday i will be in an environment that requires the Nomex, it just made sense to buy them the one time. i do have some Nomex Pilotis that i like pretty well.

the thing about racing shoes at an Autocross is that they really suck when it's your turn to go work the course, standing on the hot asphalt for hours at a time. they work for driving, but not for that ... the Pilotis are much more versatile in that regard.

and while it's not required, i do in fact have and wear Nomex turtlenecks at AX and DE events. longsleeve is required at DE, and i like the additional sun protection at the AX - again for those hours working the course. i have never been exposed to serious fire, but i understand skin grafts are painful, and proper protective clothing is not that expensive...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.