Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question From A Newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Scott - a fellow 914er (and new to this site) who lives here in the hood, has a 76 914 which he and his son are in the process of rebuilding. He has a list of parts he wants to buy in the next few days, and wants to know if his list is OK.

I'd like to open it up to the experts here. His goal is to have a fun street car which can handle an occasional autocross.

He wants to know recommendations for:

Front:
Swaybar (size) -
Shocks (type) -
Torsion Bars
Turbo Tie Rods - Y or N
Bushing Type
Ball Joints - Y or N

Rear:
Springs -
Shocks
Bushings
Rear Sway Bar ?

Other stuff- Y or N
Solid Tranny Mounts - Y or N
Brad's new Hub
Rennshift
Shift bushings
Pedal board rebuild kit
Front turn lenses
Rear Euro lenses

What other types of things should he consider before reassembly?

Also... any ideas where best to get a "package deal" on all these items. Where's the best place to go to get all of these things?

Thanks guys!
davep
I would say that for this purpose the basic 914 suspension would be okay. That is, standard sway bars, torsion bars, good shocks (Bilstein or Koni), springs about 140/160. Turbo tie rods are good as are new ball joints. Solid tranny mounts may be a bit too hard. Good tires are a must. Rebuild the brakes. Restore the gearshift linkage and probably a good shifter.
rhodyguy
considering some of the roads i experienced while at the wcc, i think 100# for the springs are a better choise for a car being setup for the street.
Dave_Darling
MHO follows. I think that a street-oriented 914 should be pretty close to stock....

Front:
Swaybar (size) - 19mm, adjustable
Shocks (type) - Boge or Koni adjustable
Torsion Bars - stock
Turbo Tie Rods - Y or N (just maybe, if the current ones are bad)
Bushing Type - stock rubber, unless the stockers are bad...
Ball Joints - replace 'em if they need it

Rear:
Springs - 140 lb/in
Shocks - Boge or Koni adjustable
Bushings - stock rubber unless they're already bad
Rear Sway Bar ? - nope

Other stuff- Y or N
Solid Tranny Mounts - Y or N
Brad's new Hub - nope
Rennshift - Yes
Shift bushings - ALWAYS
Pedal board rebuild kit - Only if needed
Front turn lenses - whatever
Rear Euro lenses - whatever

...The above is pretty much what my car has. I like the way it drives; it works pretty well both street and autoX. The short-sidewall tires provide crisp response and a somewhat punishing ride (at least, over the course of several hours it gets pretty brutal). It should be pretty civilized with 195-65 tires.

--DD
ChrisReale
I think Dave Darling summed it up pretty good.
scotty
Yeah, what Dave said. While I love my Rennshift, maybe get a Rennshift Jr? I dunno confused24.gif

Get a good alignment -- check this bbs for varied advice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.