Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side stripes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
I just spent a few minutes looking at the show your cars thread only to see a single example of positive side stripes.

I have just aded positive stripes to my car and would like to see the orientation on other cars to know if I got it right, or close enough.

I'll post pics of mine when I get a chance. beerchug.gif
THE STIG
"PORSCHE" centered on door .75 " above lower body line. This is from the factory letter instuctions for placment. Jeff Bowlsby has it I believe.
ripper911
dry.gif That confirms my suspicion. I bought positive side stripes, and tried to return them because they were to big. king.gif Someone... said they were right, the lettering dosen't fit on the door istelf it's cut off at the door gaps more like the negative ones. bs.gif
They are already on the car.
Tom_T
These are from 1970's Porsche+Audi adverts for the 914, so the stripes are right on these....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Note that they used the same pic for the 73 & 74 MY 2.0's in these ads....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hope this helps from the "official" PAG & P+A/VoA marketing materials from back in the day!
beerchug.gif
THE STIG
If you really study these adverts you will see that they are not the same car (red v yellow) to car. I have seen them installed many different ways, but there is a letter from PORSCHE AG on how to do it. I am sure Bowlsby has a copy of it. If the word PORSCHE is to big for the door they are probably 911 stripes. Did the come from the Atlanta area? I made the same mistake 12 years ago.
ripper911
They were just a short distance from my house at a reputable 914 parts supplier whose ad I see at the bottom of the page while posting this.
THE STIG
Found it, it comes with the decal. I got this from Jeff's site. I still remember seeing some sort of letter that specified .75 inches from the lower body line. The ads change every few seconds. No big deal. I had mine made from an original. The shop here still does them. Not sure on the price. I also have an original black one I bought a few years ago without the bag. It is in 3 parts however, I do not know if someone cut it, or its original that way. The person I bought the stripe from told me that it was original, and came in 3 seperate parts so it was interchangeable left to right. Good luck getting that straight.
ripper911
I think I have these.
IPB Image
ripper911
This is on my car, not the best angle but it's hard to get far anough away in the garage.
IPB Image
r_towle
Yup, those re 911 stripes and I have also BTDT.
I am repainting my car this year so I will replace it with the correct one this time.
I had mine on for ten years...it looks fine.
I hand painted the fender lip in front and back, and hand painted an extension of the stripes to the front and rear fender....looks interesting.

Rich
gandalf_025
This is a picture of my car as it was in early 73..
The Stripe was installed by the Dealer in 71, when the car
was delivered.
Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Sep 7 2011, 02:48 PM) *

This is a picture of my car as it was in early 73..
The Stripe was installed by the Dealer in 71, when the car
was delivered.
Click to view attachment

lol, did they blank out the E at the end of Porsche?

Americans blink.gif
gandalf_025
Just needed a little focus sharpening..
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 7 2011, 11:53 AM) *
lol, did they blank out the E at the end of Porsche?

Americans blink.gif

Naaah, he just had Aaaahndy taking the picture!!

Germans. rolleyes.gif

--DD
RFoulds
Here is mine, with the original dealer installed positive stripes. Yes, centered on door, letters contained to door olny, and stripe should wrap over both fender lips.

IPB Image

MDG
Side stripes, sheesh. I remember when I went over to Dave's to help him install his. When I got there he had already done one side AND he had finished off all the beer.

And, a personal pet peeve of mine, he kept calling the duct tape Duck tape.

Click to view attachment
balljoint
Dood. You told me you had erased those pics. mad.gif
RFoulds
QUOTE(MDG @ Sep 7 2011, 07:43 PM) *

Side stripes, sheesh. I remember when I went over to Dave's to help him install his. When I got there he had already done one side AND he had finished off all the beer.

Click to view attachment

THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!!
JRust
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 8 2011, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Sep 7 2011, 07:43 PM) *

Click to view attachment

THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!!

agree.gif Instant classic evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.