Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RTV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I felt compelled to post these pics and do a little admonishing.

First off let me make it clear that while this is Jim's engine this is NOT Jims handiwork. He bought this engine as is and had no idea of the " work, previously pervormed.

Whoever put this intake manifold on not only liked RTV, but also felt it was needed in some VERY unnecessary areas. First off there is NO need to put RTV on an intake manifold gasket. The blue seam in the center of the gasket is a crush ring. When the bolts are torqued down, the blue insert crushes and spreads out to form the seal. Hence NO NEED FOR RTV. Looking at the water jacket you can see how the RTV goozed out into the water jacket thus closing a fair portion of it off. Now this alone is not all that detremental as the coolant will still flow, BUT what would happen if this chunk managed to break off and start flowing through the passages ? The worst spot is at the ends of the manifold. It IS common practice to use a bead of RTV in these areas as the " factory style " rubber strips are notorious for slipping upon torquing the bolts down and end up leaking. This engine however, once again had too much RTV applied and you can see the dingleberry hagning down just waiting to break loose into the intake valley. Nexzt stop is the oilong passages. NOT GOOD. This is certainly not the first time I have seen this and I am sure it will not be the last. sad.gif Please be careful with your RTV usage
Andyrew
Daaaammmmn!

RTV on gaskets should be applied microscopic thin! Tiny dot on the finger and spread it around to a thin thin film.. If you think you dont have enough, you have to much.
jimkelly
i told my mechanic that i thought he was using too much rtv and that he should have been using high temp duct tape - but he would not listen to me : ))
mojorisen914
WTF.gif That looks like stromberg.gif

Waaaay too much RTV.
Jake Raby
Guess what that tells me? Yep... An idiot was there. What else is there that you can't see?
jimkelly
here is a pic of the engine when it was still in a 1969 camaro convertible 4 spd.

rohar
This tells me we obviously need a new contest thread for prodigious use of RTV.

Oh, and just to help some folks out, RTV should never be used in place of KY. I know, they're both spelled with initials, but that's not a good bet. Don't ask me how I know.
IronHillRestorations
Ya see that extra RTV gooped in the water passage is a secret trick, it creates a venturi effect for the water flow.... yea that's it.....a venturi effect.... screwy.gif
sean_v8_914
its a Nascar cooling restrickter. it increases the dwell time of teh coolant passing thru the radiator to cool longer and more betterer
...and teh blob in teh lifter valley is to re-direct the oil flow for superior lubreekatin of teh ventury described above
Dr Evil
RTV should need a license and a prescription.
sean_v8_914
hmmmm...shinny
wingnut86
Sorry guys,

8's are where I cut my teeth.

Any good drag-racer knows you add RTV to the NOS feed for the intake...

Geez

sheeplove.gif stirthepot.gif blowup.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 5 2011, 09:59 PM) *

The worst spot is at the ends of the manifold. It IS common practice to use a bead of RTV in these areas as the " factory style " rubber strips are notorious for slipping upon torquing the bolts down and end up leaking.

The way I learned it was, use RTV only at the corners where the molded rubber strips meet the flat type gaskets.
Cairo94507
OMG! I have never seen anyone slather it on like that. That is just sloppy and bad.
BajaXJ92
Well..........did it leak? poke.gif
andys
I still prefer old school Permatex #1 or #2 where/when needed (sparingly).

Andys
JRust
I had a simliar problem with my manifold. One of my water jackets was completely plugged off. The other was about half covered. It was no wonder I was having cooling issues at the time. Amazing how when I got all the RTV out of there. MY cooling problems went away too idea.gif
pt_700
btdt - used to own a '71 240z that developed a loud squeak / squack sound at about cam lobe frequency. when i removed the valve cover, one of the lobes was dry. turned out a little glob of gasket sealer had broken off somewhere and found it's way into the oil feeding the cam lobes plugging up a little feed hole...

pieces much smaller than the gobs in scotty's pics will plug holes!
VaccaRabite
There was 1/4 inch of RTV used to seal my intake when I tore down the 350 for my truck. I found boogers like above all over that motor.
Zach
scotty b
So today I gave the block and heads a quicl wire brushing to remove the loose paint and hit some of the crudier spots relaly well. then proceeded to paint the engine. Once the painting was done I removed the valve covers, t.c. cover and oil pan. Guess what I found dry.gif
jimkelly
more RTV - doubt anyone is surprised : (

oh yeah - that rtv on the thermostat filler neck - yup - THAT was me - gotta take credit for that area - though my lawyer warned me against it.

thanks from me and my car - nice to see it is getting the love it deserves : )

Root_Werks
icon8.gif
mudfoot76
RTV = barf.gif

My RTV saga

The only thing good about my experience was it provided a wonderful excuse to acquire a 2270 built by Mr. Raby driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.