Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake light stuck on & no turn signals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
I'll be replacing a bulb in my front left tonight. I noticed last night on my ride I had no turn signals. I also noticed when I got home my brakes lights weren't working. My brake light on my gages is stuck on. Parking lights worked fine.

Would my turn signals not working be tied to the one burned out bulb (I am assuming it it bruned out)?

On my brake lights is my brake pedal switch stuck? Bad? Or is it something else?

I'll troubleshoot it more tonight. Just hoping for some extra tips I might not think of smile.gif
r_towle
I found that the socket portion where the lights go gets corroded and needs to been cleaned every 30-40 years or so.
I use a wire brush on a dremel on every socket.
Works wonders and elimintates all the wierd things that happen as the bulbs lose contact...

I would suggest cleaning..then clean all the grounds..then clean the fuses...and new bulbs.

I smeared in di-electric grease into each socket with a q-tip also.
Mine were a real mess of corrosion...and it fixed all the odd lighting issues I had.
Biggest issue was on the rear lights...the fronts do not see as much moisture I guess.
Rich
swl
I think the same flasher is used for the brake warning light and the turn signals. I'm wondering if the flasher unit itself has failed? Might be a red herring though because of the brakelights themselves not working. They are a totally different cct than the guage light.

If I remember correctly a mechanical flasher still works with a failed bulb but the flash rate speeds up. That alerts you to a failed bulb.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 6 2011, 03:03 PM) *
On my brake lights is my brake pedal switch stuck? Bad? Or is it something else?

Did you fiddle with the switch at all? If so, you probably have it backwards.
popcorn[1].gif
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 6 2011, 07:01 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I will check the switch another night. I drove the car to golf a quick 9 holes tonight. Ran well & cooled great considering the hot muggy night. I checked the front before I left & the connections just weren't quite on. Looked like it just glancing in there. I got those on & checked my fuses. Fuse was blown so I replaced it & my signals are back & working great. I just need to deal with the brake light now
AZ914
Good deal on the fuse. When my car was in for paint when reinstalling the front turn buckets, I got a couple of wires crossed, would blow my fuse everytime I signaled for a right turn..
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 6 2011, 07:01 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I changed the switch out today. Light is still stuck on the dash. Also still no brake lights confused24.gif . the swith sits on the front side of the little plate right.
ripper911
the switch has a little adjuster that you turn to move the lever closer or further from the pedal.

shulew3
so where is the relay for the turn signals?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.