Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: poom, poom, poom, ting, poom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
headbang.gif blink.gif huh.gif

Got my car running last week and it was running pretty good except for an exhaust leak. Pulled the heat exchangers, cleaned things up and reinstalled. Leak gone - until I ran it down the road and then tick-tick-tick from #4. Can't feel anything from below so maybe a valve ticking. confused24.gif Checked the valves and the #4 rocker assembly nut took a half turn or so to tighten back up. About a quarter turn on #3. Adjusted the valves and went back to the topside.

Pulled intake system to replace intake runner hoses since mine are leaky. Had NOS hoses ready to install and then found out they are for the 1.7 dry.gif I reinstalled the old hoses and put tie wraps on the ends hoping that would stop the leak. Nope... leaking thru the rubber so need to order some new ones for a 2.0

With intake system back on and points gap and timing set I get a lot of popping from exhaust and occasional intake pop. Still ticking at #4. When I pull that plug wire the ticking stops. Decide to pull the plugs and #3 is BLACK! Checked the usual - spark √. fuel √. compression √. For some reason, #3 is not firing.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Should I pull this "history unknown" engine and get a Raby 2056? happy11.gif

• "used" 2.0 long with unknown history (swapped out original due to dropped valve)
• working D-jet system from original engine (well, it was working)
• compression is 125-130 on all four cylinders

And here is a picture of plugs #3 & 4
Click to view attachment

driving.gif
VaccaRabite
I bet you that your #3 valves are off.
I'll bet you a cookie.

Zach
poorsche914
I was so hoping you were right. I ended up pulling the rocker assemblies and reinstalling just in case something was "off". Put it all back together and... headbang.gif

Pulled #3 plug and it is black hissyfit.gif

914_teener
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 6 2011, 07:50 PM) *

I was so hoping you were right. I ended up pulling the rocker assemblies and reinstalling just in case something was "off". Put it all back together and... headbang.gif

Pulled #3 plug and it is black hissyfit.gif

High Voltage short on the No # 3 plug or wire?
yeahmag
That's oil. My guess is you have a bad valve stem and the heads need rebuilt.
brant
is this a recently installed motor? (of unknown condition right)
man that plug looks crappy... did you put new plugs in when you installed it? how many miles on that plug? it looks shot!

if the electrode is square and not worn, clean it again with a wire brush and some carb cleaner at least. it won't solve your problem, but will give you a guage of how much oil.

I know you said you switched plugs around... but do you have a spare you can put into #3 or a new one?

test that wire for resistance and continuity also

poorsche914
Thanks for the replies/suggestions.
Yes, used engine with unknown history.
I will replace the plug and post before & after pictures.
Hoping its something easy and not a bad head.

driving.gif
poorsche914
Finally had time to swap the #3 and #4 injectors. Looks like I have a bad/dirty injector. I had done the flow test on the injectors and fuel showed up in the cup. Could be intermittent or something confused24.gif
Going to pull the injector back out and give it a good cleaning and hope that cures it.

Update:Took it for a 5 mile drive and it is running relatively good.
Plugs no longer fouling. Do have some exhaust popping on decel and off throttle coasting.
Still have known air intake hose leaks which I will replace this week. And #4 still ticking.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.