Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlight relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rj777
i was screwing around w/ my headlight relay trying to get the brights to work consistently...when i turned it one way i had brights, another way no brights...i've purchased a new relay, but have forgotten the pinout sequence...can anyone please help...thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(rj777 @ Jul 14 2004, 01:01 PM)
i was screwing around w/ my headlight relay trying to get the brights to work consistently...when i turned it one way i had brights, another way no brights...i've purchased a new relay, but have forgotten the pinout sequence...can anyone please help...thanks

huh? confused24.gif

if i understand your question right, there's only ONE way the relay could fit.
one pin has a *offset* ...

wink.gif Andy
rj777
the wires are not sleeved...there are 4 loose wires w/ crimpers ...a white, a yellow (1 goes to reg beam, the other to high beam)...then there is the smaller guage wire (probably the ground) and then the red hot wire
SirAndy
QUOTE(rj777 @ Jul 14 2004, 02:40 PM)
the wires are not sleeved...there are 4 loose wires w/ crimpers ...a white, a yellow (1 goes to reg beam, the other to high beam)...then there is the smaller guage wire (probably the ground) and then the red hot wire

aha, that explains it. wink.gif

there's usually a round rubber socket for the relay (same as on the fuse-block relays).
i'll be able to look it up once i get home ...

Andy
SirAndy
ok, here are the wires for your headlight-relays. the pins on the relay should have numbers next to them!
NOTE: the relays are only for the motor. the headlights still work without the relays, they jusy won't move up/down.

pin 30 goes to the green wire
pin 85 goes to the black wire
pin 86 goes to the brown wire
pin 87 goes to the red wire
pin 87a goes to the brown wire

the yellow and white wires from the headlights go directly to the fuse panel, they're not run throgh the relay.
yellow goes to fuse 3 and 4, white goes to fuse 1 and 2

hope this helps,
wink.gif Andy
rj777
still confused...PET calls this relay "relay for lowbeam and high beam headlamp"...the part number is 111 941 583A...it only has 4 connectors...it is silver w/ red diagram and lives on the upper side of the piece the fuse box is attached to...it connects the lights to the switch on the steering column that changes regular lites to brights...the 4 pins have the flat sides towards each other...the red diagrahm has 4 terminals w/ designations 56,S,56a,56b

thanks for your help
ramajon
SirAndy
ohhh, i thought your were talking about the headlight relay !

biggrin.gif

yes, that's a completely different relay, behind the dashboard, not the standard round one ...
i'll get that info later tonight.

sorry sir,
Andy
SirAndy
ok, here's a color scan from the shop-manual.
again, the relay should have the numbers next to the pins.
the manual calls it a "combination relay" ...

F = white/white-blue
56 = red/white
56a = yellow
S = yellow red

closeup:
SirAndy
and the bigger picture:
rj777
thanks...you guys are great

ramajon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.