Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Rails
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
Are there any good replacements for the stock FI rails? My stock ones look a bit crude.

These are on eBay but I think they are overkill...yes?
newdeal2
try this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Mueller
My stock ones look a bit crude
.....if you like the way they look, go for it...if you are expecting an increase in HP, save your money and paint the stock ones smile.gif

I do like the fuel pressure gauge, so that is one positive thing about these new rails.
Mark Henry
Save you coin, the stock ones work fine.

Their claims that their rails work better is bs.gif
Email them and ask for dyno proof that these work better wink.gif

You can add a gauge with a bit of hose an a couple of clamps.
newdeal2
I have an in line gauge already.

My question was is there a dcent replacement/upgrade for the original fuel rails. I'm not looking for a performance upgrade.

Thanks
mike_the_man
Partnering up with Autoatlanta, 9xauto has finally produced this high-capacity fuel system.

Enough said about that particular fuel rail. I don't know of any decent replacements, although I'm sure there is one out there. I like the idea of painting the stock one, myself.
newdeal2
That's probably what I will do

Thanks
PorscheTom
Along the lines fuel pressure gauges, how and where do you guys add one without going to a setup like the one asked about in this thread?

I'd like to add a fuel pressure gauge, but don't know where or how to add it?

Seems to me there was also an auction for a block with two slip on fittings and a threaded fitting that allowed you to add a gauge in it? Something like that perhaps...?

Thx for any info.
newdeal2
Just add one with a barbed T after the fuel pressure regulator . Just clamp the fuel hose on each side, cut and clamp on the t and add the gauge. I think Pegasus may have a kit. I think I saw one on eBay this week.
Eric_Shea
supply the injectors with a more constant supply of fuel while helping to reduce the chronic vapor lock. You racers will also love the high rpm power increase

Partnering with AA seems to prompt one to print all sorts of bullshit marketing hype.

Oooooooh I just wub.gif my high RPM power increase slap.gif
mike_the_man
I sent them an email asking if they had any dyno results to back up their claim. Here's what they said:

Fuel rail is only a part of the puzzle. By it self it does nothing beside preventing vaporelock. To make it worth while you need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure plus install less restrictive intake. Then you can go to the dyno. This is just for starters
newdeal2
Since I have had no response on my other subject line what is the best way to clean the fuel injectors off the car ?

Peter
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(newdeal2 @ Jul 15 2004, 09:46 AM)
Just add one with a barbed T after the fuel pressure regulator .

Not with the stock FI setup... You want to T into something "downstream" of the fuel pump, and "upstream" of the pressure regulator.

Pressure regulator analogy time--
Picture a garden hose. Turn it on and watch the water come out of the end. There's some pressure in the hose, right, but not a whole lot because you're letting it out the end. Now, put your thumb over the end. What happens to the pressure inside the hose? It goes up. Now, let your thumb just a little tiny bit off the hose. You get a spray of water, of course, but what happens to the pressure inside the hose? It drops, by some amount that partly depends on how much of a gap you leave.

OK, now picture the water supply as being the fuel pump. The garden hose is the "high pressure loop" of your fuel system (including both fuel rails). Your thumb is the pressure regulator.

The regulator is a spring-loaded valve. When the pressure inside the rail is high enough, it pushes the valve open and bleeds off enough fuel to drop the pressure back down to the set amount. It's as if you moved your thumb to make a larger or smaller opening according to a pressure gauge on the garden hose. (The L-jet one has a vacuum diaphragm as well as a spring, and the fuel has to overcome the manifold pressure as well as the spring force in order to bleed off into the return line. But it's a very similar idea.)

--DD
TimT
Marren Fuel Injection can supply fuel rails, clean and blueprint your injectors, etc... good peeps to do business with
newdeal2
Back to dave's comment. My pressure gauge was istalled by the PO and it was right after the regulator ....as far as I can recall since it's apart now.

It was operating properly so what's the probelm?
newdeal2
So what Dave is saying...now that I have read it all...is the gauge should be installed BEFORE the regulator...hmmm, that's interesting. wacko.gif
newdeal2
Tim T

Thanks for the source. I am sending my fuel injectors up to them.
SpecialK
This may explain what Dave is trying to "lay down" as far as gauge location goes. If the regulator is your thumb, the injectors are leaks in your hose upstream of your thumb. You need to know what the pressure is in the hose.

Whatever...a picture is worth a thousand analogies

Ooops...compliments of the 'Bird' and Dave.
newdeal2
The gauge was located just above the regulator in the diagram before the fuel rails
SpecialK
Should work correctly then wink.gif
StratPlayer
This is where I mounted my fuel pressure gauge within the engine. It works just fine.
Eric_Shea
One would think you could mount them in both locations. They're just pressure indicators so they should have no effect on fuel distribution.

Before the regulator tells you your fuel pump is delivering the proper volume to the regulator.

After the regulator tells you if your regulator is working properly.

No? confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
What kind of car is that Jim? confused24.gif biggrin.gif

(The game is: Find the hidden crests on Jims car)
mike_the_man
When I add one for adjusting or checking the fuel pressure, I just disconnect the cold start injector and put the guage at the end of that hose.

I believe that after the regulator wouldn't be a good location. Remember that the regulator is like your thumb, so the pressure is actually created before the regulator, between the fuel pump and the regulator. At least thats my understanding.
Dave_Darling
Mike, your understanding is correct.

The "after the regulator" appears to be a small misunderstanding on the part of the poster--his gauge was indeed plumbed in upstream of the regulator, which is why it worked correctly.

--DD
Curvie Roadlover
Is that a steel braided hose from the airbox to the oil fill? blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.