Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why don't we allow 3 letter searches?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I can't find a way to email the server admin, so posting instead. Why can't we search for 3 letter words? I like to combine search terms and often can't refine the search due to the inabilty to use 3 letter words (+bore +1.7). Or this weekend I wanted to look up a past thread on the throttle position switch, but can't search for TPS (and no one ever fully spells out throttle position switch!).

am I missing something or can we enable this?
smontanaro
I've never found a forum system with a decent search facility. Instead, let me Google that for you. :-)

Skip
SirAndy
QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 7 2011, 07:30 AM) *
why don't we allow 3 letter searches?

Currently, the site uses the MySql full text indexing for the searches and unfortunately that has build-in restrictions that are not easily overcome.

I have been thinking about redoing the search completely, but that is a LOT of work as it is a build-in part of the IPB forum software.

popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
Have you tried Google?
In the search bar put in your search phrase.
Then after that put site:www.914world.com

See if that works.
Rand
Could just paste this code into the search page....
CODE

<div id="cse" style="width: 100%;">Loading</div>
<script src="http://www.google.com/jsapi" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
  google.load('search', '1', {language : 'en'});
  google.setOnLoadCallback(function() {
    var customSearchControl = new google.search.CustomSearchControl('013769333545032935419:pwbcgpgf1ma');
    customSearchControl.setResultSetSize(google.search.Search.FILTERED_CSE_RESULTSET);
    customSearchControl.draw('cse');
  }, true);
</script>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.google.com/cse/style/look/default.css" type="text/css" />

Works like this: 914world search sample
Note, this would also include results from /roadglue.
Series9
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 7 2011, 01:10 PM) *

Have you tried Google?
In the search bar put in your search phrase.
Then after that put site:www.914world.com

See if that works.

That's exactly what I do. Google finds stuff on this site way better than the built-in search engine.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Series9 @ Sep 7 2011, 10:28 AM) *
Google finds stuff on this site way better than the built-in search engine.

As long as the content was indexed by Google. Usually not a big deal, but there is a good chance that Google does not have all the posts in their index.

Either way, fixing our search is on my todo list, but as i said above, it is a rather large undertaking.

type.gif
r_towle
You do plenty as it is....
Google works quite fine and I can find all sorts of wierd old threads and three letter searches with it.

You have plenty to do....go drive your damn car, finish the limo, enjoy life.

Rich
McMark
Also, be warned that links from Google will often automatically change how threads appear on your computer. About every two weeks we seem to get a new post panicking about 'The new layout of the site', and it turns out they've just been searching through Google. wink.gif

I used Google sometimes too, though.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 7 2011, 12:16 PM) *

Also, be warned that links from Google will often automatically change how threads appear on your computer. About every two weeks we seem to get a new post panicking about 'The new layout of the site', and it turns out they've just been searching through Google. wink.gif

I used Google sometimes too, though.

agree.gif

For some reason, Google likes to index our pages in "outline" mode and it'll screw up your thread display if you click on a Google link ...

popcorn[1].gif
smontanaro
I wonder why viewing a thread in outline mode sets that as the default after that.

popcorn[1].gif

S
SirAndy
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Sep 7 2011, 02:27 PM) *
I wonder why viewing a thread in outline mode sets that as the default after that.

Because changing the viewing mode is done by passing a url parameter to the page. If Google indexes in outline mode, the url you click on will have that url parameter. Thus making it the default until you change it back.

type.gif
computers4kids
You can use google to search this site...really? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.