Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken odometer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyecolor
I don't want to run into trouble with inspection time here in Delaware.
The odometer portion is stuck and I need to have it repaired or replaced. I certainly don't want to be accused of "setting back" the milage.
What are my options?
Als914
I repair them. Check the link below
rnellums
agree.gif its not to difficult to rebuild them. If it has been stuck for a long time, unless I had been VERY meticulous recording the mileage I would feel guilty about not declaring an odo discrepancy on the title.
r_towle
Its pretty simple to fix if you read the Pelican Parts tech article.
Palo Alto speedo and North Hollyood speedo are the same firm, and they fix them.

It can easily be fixed with the exact same Odometer reading.

Rich
campbellcj
Mine had been long-broken from the PO so the true mileage was unknown. I chose to reset it to my new engine's mileage when I had NH Speedo redo my gauges, so at least it would correspond with something.
mgphoto
Check to make sure the angle drive on your transmission is not the culprit, disconnect cable and turn the drive with your fingers if it moves freely angle drive is broken.
If it is the speedo, I use North Hollywood, they will not reset your mileage, they do a great job and they really know there stuff.
Good luck.
Mike
Dave_Darling
If the speedo is working, the speedo drive (the angle drive and the cable) is working. It's a relatively common failure for the odometer to stop counting; it is generally caused by a pot-metal gear inside the odo starting to slip on its shaft. It is originally pressed on, but the pot-metal deforms over the years, especially if the odo is reset while the car is moving.

--DD
aircooledtechguy
I just had a couple repaired at Palo Alto Speedo. GREAT folks and I think it cost around $120 shipped. Also, before you send it in, check to see if the speedo is accurate. If it's not (like mine was), they can custom calibrate it for you. Mine was WAY off before and now it's PERFECT!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.