Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Used 165/80-SR15 Michelin XZX's of any value?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
osvolant
This isn't really a classified- more of a question to the members.

I am replacing the OEM size Michelins that were on my '76 2.0 when I bought it 2-1/2 years ago. PO had no idea how old they are- they don't have a modern date code. Cosmetically they are nice for an original look (presently on repro Fuchs wheels). The rears are evenly worn with 5mm of tread; the fronts have more inner wear with 2-3mm tread. I can post pictures if there is any interest.

I am replacing the tires because they don't seem to have much grip- the car oversteers easily under power, on dry pavement, and I spun it once on damp pavement. Am putting on 195/65-15 Potenza 960's.

Anyway, the question is whether these Michelins are of any value to anyone or should I trash 'em?
confused24.gif

bigkensteele
The last three digits of the DOT number is actually a date code, but it might not help much. The first two digits are the week of the year they were made, so 01 = Jan 1 - 7. The third digit is the year, so 5 could mean 2005 (doubtful), 1995, 1985, or 1975. Good luck guessing which. I would bet that if they aren't too dry-rotted, they were made in the 90s.
bradtho
I just made the exact same tire switch. no damp driving yet, but dry grip is fantastic. what surprised me was how much better the ride was. like a subtle suspension upgrade. enjoy.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 9 2011, 01:21 AM) *

I just made the exact same tire switch. no damp driving yet, but dry grip is fantastic. what surprised me was how much better the ride was. like a subtle suspension upgrade. enjoy.

Better ride?? How so>? I have 195/45 and they are stiff and HARD riding. Bob
EdwardBlume
You can still get the vintage tires in SR 165 but not Michelins. A CW *might* be interested but IMHO, you don't see them on drivers since newer wider tires offer more traction, better build quality, and are much more readily available.
r_towle
QUOTE(osvolant @ Sep 8 2011, 10:49 AM) *

This isn't really a classified- more of a question to the members.

I am replacing the OEM size Michelins that were on my '76 2.0 when I bought it 2-1/2 years ago. PO had no idea how old they are- they don't have a modern date code. Cosmetically they are nice for an original look (presently on repro Fuchs wheels). The rears are evenly worn with 5mm of tread; the fronts have more inner wear with 2-3mm tread. I can post pictures if there is any interest.

I am replacing the tires because they don't seem to have much grip- the car oversteers easily under power, on dry pavement, and I spun it once on damp pavement. Am putting on 195/65-15 Potenza 960's.

Anyway, the question is whether these Michelins are of any value to anyone or should I trash 'em?
confused24.gif

Toss them.
Tires older than 5-6 years start to become dangerous.
I just lost a belt on a tire that was 9 years old...looks perfectly fine, but its old.
Yes is was on the highway, and yes I may have been travelling at a higher speed than most of the other cars around me....but ...tires are all you have to keep you safe.

Ozone is what kills tires and you cant avoid it unless you wrap them up in an airtight plastic bag.

I would not feel good about selling a set of old used tires to anyone..they will eventually, on the highway when they get hot, blow out, and it wont be pretty...
Large sections of rubber will come off the tire.

Rich
osvolant
Thanks for your responses- pretty much reinforces what I thought. I would give these away for show purposes only. Into the dumpster they go!
windforfun
http://store.cokertire.com/
tomeric914
Here's my spare and what happened to it just sitting in the trunk out in the sun at roughly 32psi. It's probably more than 20 years old. Good thing I've never needed it. I've got more pictures if'n yer interested.

Kinda cool how the tread pulled apart.

Click to view attachment
Porschef
Jeez, I gotta get me a new spare...... sad.gif
bradtho
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 9 2011, 05:01 AM) *

subtle but noticably smoother ride over road imperfections. I'm attributing it to modern materials, sidewall construction, or just the fact that my previous tires were tired.

note that I'm running 65 aspect ratio (preserves original speedometer reading pretty well). I'd suspect your harsh ride is from using the 45's. but I'm no expert.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 9 2011, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 9 2011, 05:01 AM) *

subtle but noticably smoother ride over road imperfections. I'm attributing it to modern materials, sidewall construction, or just the fact that my previous tires were tired.

note that I'm running 65 aspect ratio (preserves original speedometer reading pretty well). I'd suspect your harsh ride is from using the 45's. but I'm no expert.

Now comes the prob of finding tires near 65 aspect that will fit my wheels and under my finders??????? Bob
osvolant
I am happy to report the 195/65 Potenza 960's (one of two or three decent tires in that size available from Tire Rack) do improve the ride slightly and have oh so much more grip than my 20? year old Michelins. My tightest clearance is the right rear fender lip where I have less than 1cm.

My spare is another old XZX on an original steel rim. Doesn't look quite as bad as tomeric's. It has to be better than the micro-spares on my other cars. driving.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(osvolant @ Sep 12 2011, 08:09 PM) *

My spare is another old XZX on an original steel rim. Doesn't look quite as bad as tomeric's. It has to be better than the micro-spares on my other cars. driving.gif

Assuming you are talking about the collapsible spare, the difference is that the micro-spare is tucked away without exposure to the sun and elements. Besides normal wear and tear, it's UV exposure that does the majority of the degradation to a tire over time.

I've got some original Continentals tucked away from an early 60's VW convertible I once owned. They look pretty new mainly because I have limited their exposure to the sun. Would I trust them on anything but a trailer queen? No way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.