Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newest PCA member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I joined the PCA Orange Coast region today, I then started reading the rules and stuff for events, I didnt see any listings for my car per say. Can I run my car in their events? A V8 converted 914 with a full body kit? If I can, or they let me, what class would that put me in? Anyone here know these answers? I sent an email to the guy but I got a response that he is getting married ( Poor guy) and wont be replying till after the 20th. I plan on attending the donut meeting towards the end of this month in Orange and will ask a bunch of questions then. Was hoping someone here might know.
SLITS
Ah Scott, you and your car are in a class by yourselves clap56.gif
lapuwali
I can't speak specifically to that region's rules and attitudes, but the PCA rules generally don't allow you to run a car with a non-Porsche engine swap. If you're looking to AX your V8, look for the local SCCA region, or some other car club with a relaxed attitude about what you run. You might try calling the AX person in your PCA region and see what he/she has to say. They may be willing to look the other way, they may have a bug up their ass about it. Only one way to find out.
Mueller
I thought Steve Malm ran with his V8 a few time down there...up here in Nor-Cal, for DE's, it must be Porsche chassis, motor and transmission (no big deal on the body kit as long as it is safe)

for auto-x, a few people have run V8 cars here and there, they are classified in the run group "fun" and it is up to whoever is running the gig and who is inspecting the cars. if it looks like a total hack job or your car sprews radiator fluid all over the place, good chances they'll be denied to play ....so Andrew, you better do a good job smile.gif smash.gif
Howard
Scott, you can come out and play with POC @ Willow, but just in exhibition class at short track. No trophies or points. We get all kinds of cars there, and good times earn you respect. If keeping score is not that important, come on out.

Even better is Shelby Club's open track day. No timed runs, but a real hoot tooling your teener with a Cobra, Lotus 7, or Hooter's stock car. Think next event is 11/04, and pretty sure I will be there.
Andyrew
Actually Mike, Im going to rebuild the engine completely. I am selling my 4 cylander, and I'll have money to play with for the engine. Then all the conversion stuff, Im going to paint and have it look really good (which I noted lacking of for most of every other conversion, was details). It may not be the best, but it will look darn near it!

Gona get me alot of phoenix red from the paint store though.. dang.

Scott, if you have another porsche, then your fine (which you do). Especially since your car is done right.

Andrew
skline
Well, actually, I dont have another Porsche, thie Chalon is the only one. I only joined for 1 year the first time around. If they dont let me play then I will have made a mistake but it will only last 1 year. I am going to paint the car by the end of the month I hope so its maiden voyage will be pretty much complete. When you refer to details, I think I have been pretty complete on my conversion from the suspension all the way to the engine and in between. I used some of the best hoses money can buy, not the stuff they suggest that people use but beyond that. I will contact the PCA director in this region and see what they say, if they dont let me play, I will take Howard up on his suggestion and play with the big boys. If they dont let me play, the only reason I can see why they wouldnt would be the fear of defeat. Its just a car.
seanery
Scott, the way it works here is that you can do DEs, but any Porsche Club of America Racing are off-limits. The engine and tranny case must be manufactured by/for Porsche. A/Xs are hit and miss, our region allows non-Porsche cars at it's A/X and DEs, so you would work here, but not other regions.
Joe Bob
The local PCA club you are in is the most lenient when it comes to non Porsche V8 conversions.....Malmzx and Sammy were allowed to play at sanctioned events but not for points of trophys.

If you get TTOD....that would be another matter. wacko.gif

The other regions most likely won't even let ya on the track....the generic VARA, SCCA, Touring Car Club and such will let ya race, but then ya got the ricers and the other stuff out there.....the rule books vary A LOT...best to take a look at the various sanctioning bodies websites and read up on them......

SCCA and VARA are the more professional but require classes and other experience to even get a license to be ON the track. Touring Car club is a little more lenient but you'll know why when you see some of the Yahoos they let on the track.

Good Luck......

My choice? Buy a kart and race that....keep the car for the street and few AXs.....
seanery
Touring Car Club will definitely let you run as long as it passes tech. I ran with them when I was in LA. I enjoyed the group quite a bit.
drew365
There is a Chalon 914 with a Buick V6 that runs the Streets of Willow with POC. He is in EX, exhibition class, but you get a plaque if you win the class. I don't think they award a championship at the end of the year. You can also move up to time trials and cup racing since there are two Ferrari's that run there. Again I think they are just running to have someone to play with and I don't think they are eligible for a championship.
Andyrew
You dont have another car? Hmm, I thought that I saw another 914 in one of the pics of your car...

Andrew
Elliot_Cannon
Hi Scott,
This saturday is the 3rd saturday of the month and some of the Orange Coast people get together at Krispy Kremes at 330 The City Drive South, The Block of Orange, 1/3 mile No. of the 22 Freeway at 8:30 am. I might see you there.
Cheers, Elliot
skline
There is another 914 in my driveway, it belongs to Joe, the one they stole the wheels off. I am going to pull the engine and re-seat the heads on it and fix the oil leaks this Friday and install the engine on Saturday. I guess I could use it for some of the events even though it is not mine. As for the Krispy Kreme this Saturday Elliot, yes, I was planning on attending that to get a feel for everyone on what I can do with my car. So if you are there, then I will see you there.
Andyrew
Just snag a parts car for free, and say your rebuilding it and you'll be driving this till you fix the parts car.. biggrin.gif

hehe

Andrew
JoeSharpOld
Scott: I have been to 3 OCR events and what I have seen is that they let any thing run (944 with a 350 cheby) Audi, Mini's, VW's, Madas, almost like Runwhatyoubrung. If you go to one of thier A/X events you will see me.
I wanna hear your car run.
Joe
Joe Bob
ocr WILL LET YA RUN ANYTHING....UNLESS it's a Zone 8 event and the spaces are limitted. Just like I did when I ran the SBR AXs at Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara.....
campbellcj
Unfortunately, for me PCA is just an expensive magazine subscription at this point. The local TT or race events are just too oversubscribed and spread-out to be very appealing. The concours and other whine and cheese events are nice once in a while but I don't even think you have to be a member to spectate and take pics, which is all I do.

In SoCal, if you actually want to -drive- your car, there are lots of other choices...
Joe Bob
My renewal was last month.....I was due for my 10 year member badge.....BFD mueba.gif

.Just got a "why didn't join back up" letter from the PCA...anybody wanna help me draft the letter? idea.gif

IF I re-up....it will be with another region other than the Whine and Cheese bitches that dominate the local chapter.....prolly gona do either San Diego....or the one that Mark B and the Crusty one belong to.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.