Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another seat option - Cobra Classic RS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
utah914
Has anyone ever installed Cobra Classic RS seats in a 914 (that you know of)? Any thoughts on them fitting in the stock backpad? I'm ready to take the plunge.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bcheney
Haven't heard of or seen those before...They look damn nice!
NORD

Those do look good. Do you have a link for them?

If you measure the outside dimention, to make sure

they clear the Parking Brake Handle, also do the

seat rails/sliders match up? driving.gif
utah914
QUOTE(NORD @ Sep 8 2011, 05:39 PM) *

Those do look good. Do you have a link for them?

If you measure the outside dimention, to make sure

they clear the Parking Brake Handle, also do the

seat rails/sliders match up? driving.gif

Here's a link where they are sold

http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Sea...bra/prodID/1986

And a little more info with a better picture

http://www.cobraseats.com/-ClassicRS

I don't know what the dimensions are on the 914 rails, but I did see the mounting dimensions for this seat posted somewhere. I'll see if I can dig 'em up.

Anybody know the dimensions on the 914 seat rail mount points?
utah914
Just called the Cobra dealer. Here are the mounting dimensions:

11 3/8 inches across
13 inches front to rear

(rectangle pattern)
Rand
They look to be considerably higher than stock seats at the top/front of the cushion. Just be sure they aren't so much that you have inadequate leg room under the steering wheel. I've heard others complain of this with some seats. Not a problem in the 911, but possibly in the 914.
utah914
I measured these off my passenger seat. Don't take the measurements too seriously because I used a tape measure. But close enough for a discussion about mounting.

Click to view attachment
ripper911

explain.
utah914
The dimensions shown above are for the 8 holes used to mount the seat rails to the stock seats. At least that's what mine look like.

This shows my mounting holes with the Cobra RS holes overlaid.

Click to view attachment
NORD

The stock 914 seat is 18" wide and the front bottom to top of seat foam

is 5" tall.

The Cobra seat is about 19" wide and 6" tall. These are close enought

That they would fit. The adapter rails have no information how much

they would lift the seat. The problem I have now is my Recaro sits

high on the sliders and has little room under steering wheel.

keep us updated if you use these. They are nice seats. popcorn[1].gif
EdwardBlume
Do they make them in fat butt?
utah914
Well, we'll know soon enough how they fit.

I just bought a pair and they're shipping out this afternoon. biggrin.gif

Gonna have to figure out some adapter brackets. idea.gif
utah914
Look what just showed up. This is just a test fit without adapter brackets, but I've got to say they fit really well. And look great.

Very pleased with my decision biggrin.gif I'll take a couple of detailed pictures when I pull the other seat out of the box.

Oh, and the headrest is adjustable. All the way down in the picture.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
ooo
Take some pics of how it fits into the backpad...that looks sharp from this angle...but how does it look against the backpad...that is a big question.

Also, what is your waist size and how do you like the fit?

Rich
jim912928
looks good...wonder if you could have an uphostery shop take the old seats and cut the headrests off...then modify with the new head rest internals so you get that 914 look from the outside aka the period Konig and Scheel seats? Just a thought
zymurgist
Me likey.

I too want to know if a generously sized American can fit into one. wink.gif
jaminM3
Utah 914, I have never seen a green 914 driving around? I'm in Saratoga Springs. You missed the RRC dude...

And the seats look nice, but I know Cobra is $$$
BIGKAT_83
They look really good .....Is the seat setting on the floor or are the stock 914 seat sliders under the seat.
utah914
I made up some brackets to mount the seats on the factory rails. Well, the driver's seat at least. I'll do the passenger's over the next couple of days.

Initial impression... they are awesome. Very comfortable and fit great in the stock backpad. I definitely sit higher than the stock seats, feels like about an inch and a half. May go down a bit as the pad wears in. And the seats are a tad wider than stock, so the parking break is a bit less accessible, but can still be operated.

As far as bigger guys fitting in them, hard to say, but I'm a 32 and I've got some wiggle room. I'm thinking 36 would be the comfortable limit, but someone really ought to try it out and report back. Anyone in the area is welcome to come by.

I'll have to get used to sitting a bit higher and having more cushion under my thighs, but I don't think it will be a big deal for me. Your mileage may vary.

Now I need to get new carpet to match the seats, then new door panels to match the carpet, then new rubber to keep the water out, then new.....

Click to view attachment

nsr-jamie
Looks good!! Like the corduroy inserts a lot!! Did you get your rails sorted out? Keep us updated

beerchug.gif
KaptKaos
The shoulders hit the backpad just like my corbeau classic IIs. I just finished my install this past weekend.

The Corbeau's use stock rails, with the holes needing some widening, and about a 1/3" spacer between the stock rails and the seats. There are mount points built into the seats at the factory width.

I plan to pull the backpad and put up a fabric back cover, with some sound deadening soon.

Regardless, those are some fine lookin seats!
bcheney
When you get the chance can you post more details and pictures on the brackets you made that allow mounting on the stock rails? This is very interesting thread...the price is much more attractive than the current alternatives on the market and the look is very nice as well.
utah914
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 14 2011, 11:05 PM) *

The shoulders hit the backpad just like my corbeau classic IIs. I just finished my install this past weekend.

The Corbeau's use stock rails, with the holes needing some widening, and about a 1/3" spacer between the stock rails and the seats. There are mount points built into the seats at the factory width.

I plan to pull the backpad and put up a fabric back cover, with some sound deadening soon.

You are right, the shoulders are what hit the backpad first. Seems like I can't get my seat back as far as the stock seats, must be why. I'm 6'0" and I can get them where I like them, but I can only go back about another half inch is all. Might not work for really tall drivers with the extra height and decreased rear adjustment.
utah914
QUOTE(bcheney @ Sep 15 2011, 04:57 AM) *

When you get the chance can you post more details and pictures on the brackets you made that allow mounting on the stock rails? This is very interesting thread...the price is much more attractive than the current alternatives on the market and the look is very nice as well.

Sure. They are pretty simple. When I make up my second set (now that I know what I'm doing, they will look much cleaner), I'll take some good pictures. But the concept I came up with seems to work.

NORD

popcorn[1].gif icon_bump.gif

How are the adapters coming? Post more pictures

kconway
Any photos around the parking brake?
ottox914
Hey Utah- now that you have lived with them for awhile, thoughts?

I'd be interested to know how the seat belts fit/work with the high sides of the seats and no belt cut outs. I think it would be a little strange to have the belt riding high like that. Maybe shoot a picture of someone in the seat with the belt on, and post that?

Seats look great.

-Dave
NORD

I have also been looking. Found them at 425motorsports.com They

are here in the Northwest, about 100 miles South of me. Any way

all orders over $99 get free shipping. Though I'd pass that on for

anybody else looking. driving.gif

The Pelican Site also has a thread on how one guy used 3/8 X 2"

plate drilled with both patterns and bolted to the stock rails.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 14 2011, 10:05 PM) *

I know I'm getting into this coversation late but do you have any pictures of the Classic II's in your car? How have the held up over the last year. Where did you buy them from?
KaptKaos
I bought them online. I did a search for them and found the cheapest retailer and ordered them.

They've held up fine, but truth be told, I haven't driven the car much. Hopefully that will change here shortly =)
dgraves
I just spotted you Cobra Classic seat comments.
Now that you have had them for a while in the 914, how do you like them? Pros ? Cons?
I need replacement seats.

Thanks,
Dan

QUOTE(utah914 @ Sep 8 2011, 12:10 PM) *

Has anyone ever installed Cobra Classic RS seats in a 914 (that you know of)? Any thoughts on them fitting in the stock backpad? I'm ready to take the plunge.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mr.Nobody
Anyone have any newer than 2012 thoughts on these seats?

Anyone running them? Anything to add about fit in a teener? How about the durability? How does the fabric hold up?

Figured I'd bump this thread instead of start a new one.
914forme
Not sure but I have a set of them in the trunk of my Jetta right now. I have a feeling that one, they might be a bit high for me, especially with a helmet on. And two I am going to hate tearing them apart to install seat heaters. The brackets will be the easy part for me. dry.gif But then I will not have them in a running car until next spring. I might get a chance to play with them this weekend, not sure I want to slow down with a squirrel.gif moment..
socal1200r
I was thinking of replacing the stock seats in my '73 with some Acura RSX seats. I'm not a big fan of fixed back seats, and can't see spending $900 on a set of those Cobra seats that the OP wanted. With some other projects I have, I decided to leave the '73 pretty much alone. But these are what the Acura RSX seats look like, and Craig's List can be your friend, seller was asking $200 for the pair. With how the seats contour up at the top, I was thinking they just might fit into the backpad cutout:

IPB Image

I'm a Craig's List junkie, and it definitely can be your friend! This is a set of Cobalt SS Recaro seats I got for $160, and installed them in my V8 Sonoma. These were a direct bolt-on into my truck:

IPB Image

This is a set of Audi TT seats I got for $125, had them installed in a 1991 Mercury Capri turbo. Used a welder I found thru Craig's List that installed them for $200:

IPB Image

This is the first seat swap this welder guy I found on Craig's List did for me. Jetta fabric seats in a Suzuki Samurai, and yes, I found these seats on Craig's List:

IPB Image
914forme
I added my new to me set in the classifieds.

Long story short, my overall abundant frame did not like the test fit. I am 6'2" long torso, and have a 44 inch waist. dry.gif Everything fit great, butt in seat, bolstering up the sides, until I got to my shoulders. It was just an odd feeling as they where not supported. I barely fit in a 914 with the stock seats and take the cushion out to fit in with a helmet on. So these are out for me.

Other than that I think for the price they are a great seat option if you are closer to a more normal height and build. And it should make for a very nice drivers seats. Has suspension and give, instead of cushion onto of fiberglass. Head rest is adjustable, which is nice.
barefoot
These were the seats installed in my 914 when I got it. Could barely get my legs under the steering wheel and my head hit the targa top. Were too wide, so the PO had REMOVED the hand brake lever & mounting. Don't know their source.
Found a stock set and had them re-done with cloth cushions and welded in new hand brake mountain boss.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BIGKAT_83
The price 914forme has these listed for is a steal. If i wasn't trying to break the 914 habit I'd buy these myself.
socal1200r
QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 30 2016, 08:56 AM) *

These were the seats installed in my 914 when I got it. Could barely get my legs under the steering wheel and my head hit the targa top. Were too wide, so the PO had REMOVED the hand brake lever & mounting. Don't know their source.
Found a stock set and had them re-done with cloth cushions and welded in new hand brake mountain boss.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Yeah, those seats look too wide and the bottom cushion looks too thick to fit correctly into a 914. A 911, 944, or 928, but definitely not a 914. I lucked out with the Audi TT seats in the Capri, because I figured those seats were low to the floor, like the stock Capri seats were, and the difference in seating position is negligible. But having to remove the parking brake and such, in my book, is a no go, get different seats.

From looking at pics of Acura RSX seats, with how low they are to the floor, and that they're not too wide on the seat cushion, leads me to believe they'd fit correctly into a 914. But, like I said, I'm going to leave the 914 alone, and work on the other projects. I'd only drive the 914 maybe once or twice a week, so I can live with the stock seats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.