Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I've been side tracked lately!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
So the 914 is sitting at my pop's place under a piece of cardboard. I've been rushing this summer to finish up the first stages of restoration for a '73 Fiat 124 Sedan that I picked up in January so that I could attend an annual Oregon Fiat event that I go to every year (but have never had my own Fiat there). The car and I made it, and even entered into a track event. Not bad considering the little sedan had been sitting under a tarp from the late '80s until this year.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Anyhow, the above has been a distraction. Though I have more work that I need to do to it, I'm taking a break to make the time to wrap up my 911 suspension upgrade. I've got most of the bits, including hubs, studs, shock inserts, 7' wheels, etc etc. Still need ball joints and some needed repairs to the trailing arm mounts. Dug Wright has 911 22mm hollow torsion bars for me.

Now what? I have this nagging feeling that my 165# progressive rate springs are going to be too soft combined with the stiff front end. Thoughts?

Considering the torsion bar choice, will I really need much a anti-sway bar? I've got SC control arms and an SC bar (along with the aluminum cross member), and think it will be an OK match, though it's not adjustable (mounts directly to the a-arms and cross member).

I DO want to auto-x this car next season, yet be able to drive it to track, tours, work. smile.gif Should be fun when it's all done. So, no more distractions for a while and I'm hoping to have it done in a few months. I guess that means I'll be happy if it's done before '05.

And then there's Roadglue.com... don't get me started. <-- another potential distraction from what really matters.

Happy driving everyone!

I'll see some of you in Napa on Monday, and I'll be in the Fix It Again Tony mobile.

--
Randy Wentzel
The guy who is supposed to be maintaining Roadglue.com
thesey914
Wow -theres a really nice silver 914 at the back of the grid!! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 14 2004, 10:58 PM)
Now what? I have this nagging feeling that my 165# progressive rate springs are going to be too soft combined with the stiff front end. Thoughts?

yupp, time to upgrade. go with 180 progressive or 175 straight.

funny that you mention a sway-bar, looking at your fiat pics, i was going to suggest getting a front sway-bar for that little sucker.
wink.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
EWWW! an X19 at the back of the grid....where it belongs wacko.gif
RoadGlue
funny that you mention a sway-bar, looking at your fiat pics, i was going to suggest getting a front sway-bar for that little sucker.

Spring-rate is the first issue I need to tackle with the Fiat, then we'll see what I need in terms of additional roll control. The car has the stock 5/8 bar on it, but as you can see from the roll it too is rather ineffective.

Front end:

IPB Image

I upgraded the springs once already with a readily available "sport spring" set, but they are still too soft. Time to get some teeth chattering #600 springs in the front I suppose.

What spring/torsion bar/sway bar/ combo are you using?

Where's Brad? I've gone through a lot of the more recent posts and he's not chatting. Very unlike him... Is he in Texas still?

--
Randy
SirAndy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 15 2004, 10:35 AM)
Where's Brad? I've gone through a lot of the more recent posts and he's not chatting. Very unlike him... Is he in Texas still?

he just got back. probably going to take him a week to catch up with all the email ...

i have stock 911 ('86) carrera torsion bars, boge shocks and a 22mm Tarett-Bar (on full soft).
180lbs progressive springs in the back which are too soft. i need to get into the 200lbs range (and ditch the progressive) ...

Andy
RoadGlue
yupp, time to upgrade. go with 180 progressive or 175 straight.

Geez, that's only a few pounds heavier than what I have now. You think 200# would be too stiff? Oh, did I mention that I use my 914 to haul lead brick around?

I guess the heavy springs would be setting myself up for oversteer and potential front wheel lift, eh?

Still going to Napa on Monday?

--
Randy
SirAndy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 15 2004, 08:52 PM)
Still going to Napa on Monday?

yupp, that's the plan. sans 914 tho ...

beerchug.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.