Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Pad Glue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grelber
Just as it says. I ditched my engine bay pad, and the old glue looks like crap. Any good products out there that will dissolve the glue, but not the paint?
barada
QUOTE(Grelber @ Sep 8 2011, 05:15 PM) *

Just as it says. I ditched my engine bay pad, and the old glue looks like crap. Any good products out there that will dissolve the glue, but not the paint?

I lost a saturday doing that job. I used PPG's DX330.
stewteral
QUOTE(Grelber @ Sep 8 2011, 02:15 PM) *

Hi Greiber,

I was just attacking the same issue with my '73 restoration car:
-First I tried media blasting with walnut shells and found it ineffective.
-Then I dragged out my hand drill with a 6" wire brush and found it did a very good job. I would suggest finding the softest wire brush you can so it will not dig into your paint.

In my case, I was ok with scuffing the paint as I plan to paint the car a new color,
but a softer wheel should serve you well.

Best,
Terry
Randal
Go to any body shop supply house (like paint) and they will have the 3M adhesive remover. It works perfectly.
ripper911
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 8 2011, 10:01 PM) *

Go to any body shop supply house (like paint) and they will have the 3M adhesive remover. It works perfectly.

lol, that sounds right.

I was going to say to try dry hair cleaner or dry wash, they will take anything off.
BTW if anybody is lookng fo a good anything remover, let me know I'm ordering for work soon. Second thought, may not be legal to sell/ship.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 8 2011, 07:01 PM) *

Oh yea, it doesn't tank any paint off. aktion035.gif
ripper911
My stuff might take the paint off, but it will have skull and crossbones poison labels on it, who wants some?

I'll check on the price.
Grelber
Thanks, all. I'll go down to my local auto paint shop and see if I can get some of the 3M stripper.
EdwardBlume
I used goo be gone and a razor blade. Results may vary... confused24.gif
barada
Here is my before and after using the PPG products.
Randal
QUOTE(Grelber @ Sep 9 2011, 05:45 AM) *

Thanks, all. I'll go down to my local auto paint shop and see if I can get some of the 3M stripper.

3M adhesive remover
cary
NAPA has it. It comes in either aerosol or in a can about the size of charcoal lighter fluid. Old school, before plastic. LOL.
Solid red with white letters.
JFJ914
Purple Stuff worked on mine.
McMark
I've noticed a vast difference in how easy it is to remove the glue. I've safely removed large sections on some cars with brake cleaner, others won't come off with any product and require removal methods that take paint off as well. Some cars have glue that's dry enough to sand off, some cars have glue that gums up sandpaper immediately.

You may have to try a few methods to see what works for your situation. thumb3d.gif
mrdkrantz
I used a plastic putty knife and brake cleaner... then I saw all the overspray from earlier paint jobs and decided to paint it anyway
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.