Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 74 Super Beetle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
I'm going to look at one for sale this afternoon.

I know of a few areas prone to rust like around the battery under the seat and the front and rear edges of the longs.

Anything else i need to look out for that i'm not aware of?
idea.gif
ripper911
If it has a sunroof, it probably leaks. That would let water into the passenger compartment whenever it rains and could possibly rust just about anything thats attached to the floor. I've had a couple of them that had drivers seats that would rock side to side.

Also the suspension bushings go bad often, and make the steering wheel (or the whole car) shake.

SirAndy
Mechanically, the car was actually in pretty good shape and the engine ran great.

The rust, however, was substantial. The whole rear part of the floor pan was rusted through, the battery had fallen half way through and was held in the car by some plywood and straps.

Bummer ... dry.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Floor pan repair panels are available for standard beetles, but that may not be true for super beetles. Lotta work, but not as much as a Porsche. Best done with the body off. I wouldn't own a SB anyway. Too much hassle with the front end and the steering boxes (or rack, on the later cars).

The Cap'n
r_towle
pans are a breeze, talk to McMark...its a two day job to do both pan halves.
Heater channels are about a day a side....buy the best parts...there are thin parts and thick parts...buy the thick ones.
I would also suggest removing the bottom of any new heater box and coat the insides with something to convert the shelf rust and then paint it....

As far as the front suspension goes, its the best of the beetles.
Look at superbeetles.com.
There are some coil over kits that are superior to the original setup, 944 parts fit...wider wheels fit .....

Many of the problems we faced over the years have been addressed and then you have a beetle that handles.
The new coil over struts, new disk brakes...and new front suspension bits are really the best way forward with one of these...it solves all sorts of old issues.
Keep looking if you want one..the supers have the lowest resale value right now, but the best suspension.

Take a look over in Germany and the UK...they have a very serious passion for the supers....cause they race them.

If I was looking (I have three old beetles, thanx) I think I would go for a sunroofed later style one with the curved windshield.

There is also an Ljet version that you can get from the few people that have imported the mexican ones.

Rich
veltror
The Mexican cars used Digifant not L-jet...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.