Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coated fuel tank is peeling - Options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
It looks like the prior owner had used some type of do it yourself tank sealer to contain the rust. The problem is I have found evidence of chunks of this stuff inside the fuel filter, so I know the tank is no good. Pity, because he powder coated the tank and the outside is beautiful.

I have done some research and it seems like you can take your tank to a radiator shop and have them boil it out or some such process.

I have also heard that either they can 'coat' it for you or you can do it yourself. The problem is,as you can imagine, is that I am gun shy about any more coatings.

Questions: 1) Is the radiator shop going to be able to get all the old crap out of my tank? Is it possible for some of the coating to stay behind? Should I buy a used tank and start from there or is that unnecessary?

2) Do I really need to re-coat the tank?

3) Isn't there anything better than the two-part crap that the last guy used 14 years ago? Is the new stuff really any better?

4) Can't they coat a tank like the factory does, with something like galvanizing? I know there is a hot galvanizing facility not far from here.

5) Couldn't I just have the whole thing galvanized inside and out and forget the black paint? My gas tank in my Roadrunner, on the exterior, was clear coated over the galvanizing and looked great.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
IronHillRestorations
http://gastankrenu.com/index.htm

Find the nearest dealer and go have them do the full process. It's not the cheapest option, but it'ts the best way to go. I had the process done on a customer's tank and it's great. For the full warranty they want to do inside and outside (like for a Detroit car where the tank is semi exposed), but I had them do just the inside. You'll never have to worry about your fuel tank again.

If you can find a really clean used tank, that would be the cheapest way out.
sean_v8_914
you're in LA, get a different tank.
moparrob
OK, so assuming I can find an internally clean tank is there anything I need to do to it to protect it from rusting in the future?

What causes these things to rust anyhow?

914werke
yup, keep it full of gas & drive it!
Water & air
wingnut86
The guys are correct.

Find a better tank or use a renewal service. I just received 5 of mine back (2 earlies and 3 late models) from a recommended radiator shop. The guy couldn't paint the outside worth a crap, even with 2 coats on primer of black exterior enamel.

Now the insides, and the repair patches are worthy of an Egyptian Mummy Embalmer's envy. You would need to run diesel, mineral spirits and gravel inside of these cans for quite a while before you broke through to the undercoat.

West Coast boneyards should have plenty of dry tanks that just need a good wet sanding on the outside and a couple coats of Wurth or similar.

Good Luck.

Dave

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.