Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you guys think about the temp fan belts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I was at the FLAPS this week and saw a emergency fan belt kit. It is a belt that has a link in it so it can me adjusted to most applications quickly.

Would this be a good thing to keep in a road trip kit? Seems like it would be easy to install along side the road. smash.gif smash.gif

Cheers
tbil
I wouldn't bother. Nothing to do with the quality of this emergency belt but a spare belt doesn't make my road repair kit. Fifteen years of 914 ownership and 120K miles and just haven't seen much wear on the belt. Maybe it's my engine but the belt is pretty short, not too much tension..... I just replace every 5/6 years and don't worry about it.

Clutch cable is another story - don't go around the block without a spare...

Probably just jinxed (SP?) myself with this comment - belt will probably shred on the way home.... thought to self - better check this weekend.
Dave_Darling
The stock belt is cheap, and it's easy to replace--even on the side of the road. I don't think one of those "temporary" belts would be any easier, in fact. So I wouldn't bother--just keep a spare stock one around if you're worried.

Remember, the "fan belt" in our cars doesn't drive the fan, just the alternator. And a fully-charged battery will let the car run for several hours at least without an alternator. (At least, during the daytime...)

--DD
Kerrys914
Thanks...I just saw it and was curious. I'll pick up a normal alt belt for my road trip, just incase.

Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.