Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
02loftsmoor
I've now have a 914 1.7L It was parked in a garage 17yr. and it going to need some TLC need some help with looking engine shop, parts, and so on. taking my time looking at over, the hell hole seems in good shape, all the rubber is rotten, need bumpers. I going to pull the engine and go though it change the cam and put carbs on. help me ge this thing moving in the right direction.
41ghost
go to the garage you'll get plenty of help
Rob-O
Where in Fort Worth?
euro911
agree.gif Post questions, progress thread etc. in the 'GARAGE' forum.

Use the 'CLASSIFIED' forum to search for parts and to post for parts you want to buy ...

... and most important of all ... welcome.png
02loftsmoor
Keller

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 12 2011, 10:32 PM) *

Where in Fort Worth?

cpfoster
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Sep 12 2011, 11:11 PM) *

Keller

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 12 2011, 10:32 PM) *

Where in Fort Worth?

I'm in San Antonio and can probably help with bumpers and some other stuff if you want to make a roadtrip at some point, just drop me a message.

Chris
hot_shoe914
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
ThinAir
welcome.png And welcome to the insanity of 914 ownership - it's great!

I'm curious about that you already plan to switch it to carbs when you haven't gone through it yet. Yes, there are lots of carbed 914s around, but there was never a stock 914 in the U.S. with anything other than fuel injection. Once you get the vacuum lines changed and the valves adjusted the FI will probably run like a champ and give you no problem.
flowerfish
Good luck and have fun with your beauty
Grelber
welcome.png Welcome to another DFW'er. There are quite a few of us here in the area. We can point you in the right direction for just about anything here.
02loftsmoor
Thanks, I need all the help I can get. First Porsche, I've had MGs and Austin Healys.

QUOTE(Grelber @ Sep 13 2011, 06:35 AM) *

welcome.png Welcome to another DFW'er. There are quite a few of us here in the area. We can point you in the right direction for just about anything here.

StratPlayer
welcome.png
pt_700
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Sep 13 2011, 12:23 AM) *

I'm curious about that you already plan to switch it to carbs when you haven't gone through it yet. Yes, there are lots of carbed 914s around, but there was never a stock 914 in the U.S. with anything other than fuel injection. Once you get the vacuum lines changed and the valves adjusted the FI will probably run like a champ and give you no problem.

agree.gif unless you know the fuel injection's finished, it may well be cheaper to fix anything wrong with it compared to buying and setting up carbs.

welcome to your new brand of madness!
02loftsmoor
Your right I havn't checked the FI system, I was looking over priceing the parts needed (worst case) and could slap on some carbs and be more reliable and better breathing. (Could be wrong) But having said that I will listen, I have ZERO knowage of this little puppy.
I would like to improve the breathing pull a little more out. One thing i noticed the engine being based on 70 year old tech you have to drop some coin to pull out some power

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Sep 13 2011, 02:23 AM) *

markb
welcome.png

It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
abnrdo
welcome.png

Welcome!!
ripper911
How long have V8's been around?
windforfun
IMO, carbs are a bad detour. IMO.
02loftsmoor
Look for a Engine machine shop. fly cut the heads, valve job. and put plug in the oil galleys remove the press fit plugs. and engine parts for a over haul.

QUOTE(Grelber @ Sep 13 2011, 06:35 AM) *

Grelber
Wes can do all that, and a lot more. He's the Porsche guru in the metroplex. H & H Enterprises in Plano. Go by there at lunch on Saturday and say hi to everyone.
02loftsmoor
It will have to be later, going to the drag boat races in Ft Worth Sat. I take it H&H has a web page?

QUOTE(Grelber @ Sep 13 2011, 08:50 PM) *

Wes can do all that, and a lot more. He's the Porsche guru in the metroplex. H & H Enterprises in Plano. Go by there at lunch on Saturday and say hi to everyone.

Rob-O
Ya know, I'm not sure Wes has a web page. I've never checked. Wes doesn't seem like the kind to have one, or for that matter, need one.
ThinAir
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Sep 13 2011, 03:45 PM) *

Your right I haven't checked the FI system, I was looking over pricing the parts needed (worst case) and could slap on some carbs and be more reliable and better breathing. (Could be wrong) But having said that I will listen, I have ZERO knowlege of this little puppy.
I would like to improve the breathing pull a little more out. One thing i noticed the engine being based on 70 year old tech you have to drop some coin to pull out some power

Although it is old technology as far as FI is concerned, the D-Jet system is actually pretty reliable and is no slouch in the performance department. When I switched a carbed 1.7L back to stock D-Jet the performance improved so much that you would have thought I'd done an engine overhaul.

Brad Anders has published some incredible stuff on the D-Jet system at his site. It is well worth your time. He also recently posted a correction to some common hose routing.

Based on your description of how this teener was stored, and assuming that it was running okay when it was stored, you need only a few things: oil & filter change, air filter refilled with oil, valve adjustment, new vacuum lines. You will probably find at that point that it will run wonderfully and you can then get a feel for what the car is really like. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It is unlikely that you'll need anything on your list of expensive parts.
Grelber
Wes is REALLY old school. No web page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.