Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennshifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I just installed the Rennshifter I bought from JWest Eng. at the WCC. It works great. What a difference!! I also have installed the new fuse block and the fog light flasher. Great products. A lot of the aftermarket stuff I have tried turned out to be krap. The shifter is fantastic. Very positive feel. Highly recommended.
Cheers, Elliot
scotty
Another one joins the Rennshift club! smilie_pokal.gif

How was the installation of the fog-light flasher? Tough? Easy? It sounds like a gizmo I may want... cool.gif
PorscheTom
Yes, how was the flasher to install? I'm planning on ordering one soon as I sort out most of my FI issues - pretty soon here!

I too can vouch for the Rennshift as my 914 had it in it already when I bought it. biggrin.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
The fog light flasher was a piece of cake. It would only flash in low or high beams, not both. A quick email to James and he sent easy directions and now I can flash the fog lights in iether high or low beam. I also installed the Pilot driving lights instead of the fog lights. I am real happy with the set up.
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I think that might have been a little confusing about the high-low beam issue.
It would only flash with the headlights in low or high beam, I'm not sure which. Now I can flash them in iether high or low beam.
Cheers, Elliot
lagunero
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 16 2004, 02:06 PM)
that might have been a little confusing

Still confusing! laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
I haven't installed mine yet. Doesn't it allow you to run and flash them without the lights on?
john rogers
To make the shifting even better, replace the cast aluminum coupler in the middle of the shift linkage with one of the race type-sealed couplers and the car will shift like a new Honda.....
mistro
Elliot, I'm deciding on a Rennshift too. What throw reduction did you go with? How long did it take to install? Did you replace the bushings? ANy piz? Rgds, Michael
mistro
We need a spell checker... I meant any pix...
Martin Baker
QUOTE(john rogers @ Jul 16 2004, 08:43 PM)
To make the shifting even better, replace the cast aluminum coupler in the middle of the shift linkage with one of the race type-sealed couplers and the car will shift like a new Honda.....

Can you give a manufacturer of this part, or supplier. Any more info at all. Thank you.
914efi
What is a rennshifter and will it work in a -6 with a sideshifter?
seanery
914efi, do a search for the word "Rennshifter" here and you'll find ton of info.

In short, it's a new shifter for your 914 or 911. They are made for any config, tail/side shifter. 3 or 4 choices of reduction. Very nice piece at a reasonable price.

JWest Eng Home Page
seanery
also see:

Parts & Resources page

JWest Products

RennShifter page
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(john rogers @ Jul 16 2004, 07:43 PM)

The only Hon-duh I operate is my motorcycle bravo.gif other than that, I don't care to ever own or drive their cars since German cars are my preference wub.gif ...so...explain how a new Hon-duh shifts blink.gif Positive stops or it just kinda stops moving? Smooth or notchy motion? Spring loaded sides? Push down for reverse? Long or short throws?

Just messing with ya, you don't have to explain :finger2: biggrin.gif
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(mistro @ Jul 16 2004, 08:47 PM)
Elliot, I'm deciding on a Rennshift too. What throw reduction did you go with? How long did it take to install? Did you replace the bushings? ANy piz? Rgds, Michael

Hi,
I went with the 30% reduction which seems to be the most one ordered. It took me about an hour and a half to unstall the shifter. I've put about 50 miles on the car since installation and am still very happy with it.
Cheers, Elliot
john rogers
The coupler I user came from Stomski Racing, website is www.stomskiracing.com. It was the lowest priced one we have seen. The coupler front is a sleeve with set screw that fits over the front shaft. The coupler rear is splined and I tack welded mine into the tube I used to make the rear shift bar during the six conversion. There are some picts during the conversion on the other 914 site if you do a search under my name. Good luck
Martin Baker
Found it, looks great, little pricey. Looks worth it. I'll add it to mile mile long list-o-parts. Thanks John.

SR010 - Our high quality, precision engineered coupler ends sloppy shifting caused by worn (and even new!) factory couplers. Fabricated to exacting tolerances, the SR010 provides a precision feel and allows for accurate shifting. No more missed shifts during the heat of battle because of a sloppy factory coupler. The SR010 provides the precision and accuracy you demand when down shifting into that high-speed turn. No need to worry whether you are going to hit the wrong gear and over rev your engine. Shift with confidence, shift with precision. -Available for 901/911/915/356

SR010
SR010- $192 (+S/H)
TimT
This is a shift coupler I made for my 911, its a $30 steering universal., I cut the spline off an extra POrsche shift coupler I had, and welded it on the new universal. I also had to shorten the shift rod a wee bit..
JWest
The fog light flasher is 100% plug-in - no wire cutting. It allows the fog lights to be operated with the headlights off or on low beam, and flash with the column lever when the headlights are off.

Some years of 914 require cutting of wires to make the fogs operate with the high beams on, which is why it was not included as part of the kit.

Demick's fog light page outlines the particulars for making the fogs work in high beam - Follow option #2.
john rogers
As James has noted on his website, I was really happy to have the Rennshift on my car in the first race I did in Tijuana. I also had the new coupling and new bushings in the firewall and transmission. I can shift from 5th to 1st and backup twice a lap down there and the chances of a missed shift have dissappeared!
jgiroux67
Why does everyone say "it will shift like a new Honda"? Hondas don't shift that good. I have driven them and they are not that great. Why don't you compare it to something that is acually descent such as an Audi or BMW. Now those shift very smoothly. I mean I haven't been fortunate enough to get the Rennshift yet, but you can atleast compare to something better than a Honda!
Jeroen
Check here for more couplers...

http://www.wevo.com/wevopsjpage.htm

cheers,

Jeroen
bongo monkey
This coupler, it's only for sideshifters, right? I don't remember seeing anything like that on my tailshifter.
Chris Julian
I must agree. I installed the Rennshift in my 914-V8 a couple of weeks ago and it feels very smooth and precise, but it was the centering springs sold me.

Hey James- why don't you add a link to the Hurst website so your cutomers have the option of changing out the shift stick. I relocated the shifter and changed out the shift stick to a straight and shorter model.

Chris Julian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.