Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanJ
Thought I'd better check back in.

A few years back I'd been toying with getting myself a 914 to use in sprints in Scotland. Then in 2006 I ended up moving with work to Perth in Western Australia.

Move on to May this year I picked up a yellow 1970 914 from over in Brisbane and had it shipped to me in Perth, and the garage ornament (as the kids call it) has sat there ever since. Work seems to have gotten in the way but I'm now ready to start properly on my project!

I took a bit of a gamble and bought the car unseen (work commitments kept getting in the way so I agreed a price and bit the bullet!)
The car is now out of registration and my first task is making it legal again so I can tinker and have some fun driving it at the same time.

I have a lot of plans for this and if half them come to fruition it should turn out a tidy little car. Its very solid with a bit of worn stock type 4, engine running carbs. (I'll get some pics over the weekend)

Well that's the story up to date. I'm looking forward to hanging out here a bit more frequently and more so to getting the 'teener' up and going!
shoguneagle
Welcome to the 914 World and know you will enjoy the car. Lot of help here along with members who will enjoy your car along with you.

Steve Hurt
SirAndy
welcome.png

and

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif
markb
welcome.png

It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
jsayre914
My current car was also purchase sight unseen, I drove 200 miles with cash in hand and a tow dolly. It turned out pretty good for me biggrin.gif Good luck beerchug.gif

and

welcome.png
Cap'n Krusty
Welcome to the World!

As a word of caution. Where I live, it's best not to " tinker and have some fun driving it at the same time." It's bad enough dealing with all those folks driving while talking on their cell phones, never mind the tinkerers ................

The Cap'n
JRust
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 14 2011, 12:31 PM) *

Welcome to the World!

As a word of caution. Where I live, it's best not to " tinker and have some fun driving it at the same time." It's bad enough dealing with all those folks driving while talking on their cell phones, never mind the tinkerers ................

The Cap'n

lol-2.gif Good one Cap'n. welcome.png It's official now that the Cap'n has posted. Although where was teh crustiness poke.gif evilgrin.gif . Seriously get some pics up. This is a great community to be a part of
Sleepin
Ian, I am curious to the laws regarding importing a 914 into QLD. I may be looking at a transfer to Brisbane in the near future. I take it that these are old enough to stay left hand drive?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 14 2011, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 14 2011, 12:31 PM) *

Welcome to the World!

The Cap'n

lol-2.gif Good one Cap'n. welcome.png It's official now that the Cap'n has posted. Although where was teh crustiness poke.gif evilgrin.gif . Seriously get some pics up. This is a great community to be a part of

Most folks get one freebie, then the gloves come off. What with our newbie driving on the wrong side of the road (and upside down, at that), he may qualify for a second "pass".

The Cap'n
IanJ
haha thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll try and keep the 'tinkering' off the roads!

Sleepin. Yip it's old enough to stay LHD. I did look at buying a US car and shipping it over (have some links somewhere I can look out if you're interested).

In summary from my research. If you've owned the car for more than 1 year taxes become less of a worry. You will need to have the car cleaned thoroughly (Australia are pretty strict on bringing outside flora and fauna in). You will need to buy a new set of tyres when it gets here, also needs KPH speedo (however I have seen a few oldies with MPH so suspect this might be a grey area) and then it will need a roadworthy check and pay the government to register the car and you're off.
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif assimilate.gif
majkos
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 14 2011, 07:23 PM) *

welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif assimilate.gif

agree.gif
IanJ
I'll get some up over the weekend biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Welcome to the madness of the 914 lovers. Take lots of pictures all along the way and keep a folder for the receipts. At some point you may (or not) want to know how much you have actually spent on your toy. Or God forbid the car get wrecked and you need to show value based upon the work you have done and parts you have bought. Best to document from day one. Congratulations.
IanJ
OK, I know it's been a while apologies for holding back on the goods.....
Some pics from the previous owner.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

My project is about to kick off properly with a WRX conversion. The time for researching is over. Time to pull my finger out and do it!

Wish me luck
carr914
welcome.png
76-914
welcome.png Nice looking car, Ian. I notice that the wheels are American Racing or Dan Gurney's (don't know their proper name Down Under) and wanted to know about those spinners (or centers). I've never seen them before. The look alot like the old Chevy spinners on the '63-65' hub caps. If you remove those, post some pic's of them. Thx, kent
rick 918-S
Right hand drive is so cool! aktion035.gif
abnrdo
welcome.png

Awesome base to start with! From one Suby project guy to another, cant wait to see your progress!

popcorn[1].gif
Irish914
welcome.png beerchug.gif
IanJ
Thanks guys. It certainly seems a nice solid base.
I'll be tinkering over the weekend and try and get more pics.
I think the wheels are Gurney too will take pics of centre cap and see if there are any identifying marks.
IanJ
QUOTE(IanJ @ Apr 6 2012, 10:42 AM) *

Thanks guys. It certainly seems a nice solid base.
I'll be tinkering over the weekend and try and get more pics.
I think the wheels are Gurney too will take pics of centre cap and see if there are any identifying marks.

A look at the part number inside and a quick google tells me the wheel centers are these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-Bar-Spinner-...58#ht_500wt_689

Seem to be pretty solidly built too if anyone is interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.