Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics of lifter testing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.ph...p=508302#508302

Go check that out! The fun is just beginning, now we are adding dual springs to enhance the effects...

we are seeing measurable wear on 4 out 8 lifters so far.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2004, 01:45 PM)
we are seeing measurable wear on 4 out 8 lifters so far.

smilie_pokal.gif

when are the ceramics going to go on the tester?

would be nice to see the comparison ...
Andy
newdeal2
Jake,

Have you done any testing on the Webcam lifters [w/the circlips]?

Peter
74 2 Liter
lapuwali
Jake, thanks very much not only for doing all this, but esp. for sharing the results with the rest of us.
Jake Raby
The ceramics won't be seeing the spintron.. They don't need to- They WILL NOT WEAR! Now we can't get them and the price is going up...

webcam lifters are in those pics, but I cannot divulge which pics are web cam, nor the results.
ChrisReale
One question regarding the ceramic lifters. Do they create any more lifter noise due to the fact they are ceramic? I am just curious.
Allan
Cool looking stuff. Based on the feedback, you (Jake Raybe) are the one to trust. I am currently deciding to either pull my motor and rebuild the whole thing or do the minimum. One question, if I go to the euro pistons will it blow me out for the Ca. smog requirements confused24.gif Man this sucks, My mouse sticks and the wife say's, "Don't touch anything" confused24.gif Plus I can't spell
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2004, 01:45 PM)
webcam lifters are in those pics, but I cannot divulge which pics are web cam, nor the results.

# 2 is the scat units so web is either #3 or #4 and they both look rough.

How long are going to test them for Jake?

Lets bring on the duals!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jul 16 2004, 04:11 PM)
One question, if I go to the euro pistons will it blow me out for the Ca. smog requirements ...

No, the 8.0:1 compression setup will not cause you to fail a smog test. It may not, strictly speaking, be smog-legal, but it should not significantly change the results of a smog test.

Note that Jake hates the stock cam, which you need to keep the stock FI happy and passing smog.

--DD
cnavarro
Ceramics are slowly but surely coming in. We should have everyone's sets shipped out in the next few weeks. At current rate, we'll have a nice overstock of drop ins as well as machine ins by September, so start planning ahead and get your name on the list. Prices are holding now at $450 set, only $50 over the intro prices. I'll also be offering the billet Pro-Extreme lifters once Jake finishes their proofing. Either way, we'll have everyone's need for lifters filled!

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Jake Raby
The test will span a total of 40 hours, we are only a little more than 1/4 finished and its already cost me a ton in time!

Since January I have spent 21,000 bucks in R&D- its paying off everyday!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(cnavarro @ Jul 16 2004, 05:10 PM)
Either way, we'll have everyone's need for lifters filled!

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering

I'm glad Jake and Charles have stepped up to bat on this issue, a few extra bucks is a small price to pay, compared to tearing down a new engine.

Two years ago I got a bad batch of T1 lifters, I had one engine fail and 3 more (never run) that I had to tear down. My supplier gave me a $500 credit (plus new lifters) but that didn't cover it. They only gave me the credit because I do a fair bit of business with them, I very much doubt if they did that for anyone else. Totally sucked, I've seen guys give up on their cars and sell them because of issue's like these. barf.gif

These lifters may not be as cheap as in the good ol' days, but at least we won't have to cross our fingers when we turn the key.

Thanks Guys!
Jake Raby
One bad lifter costs me 4,000.00 !!! The cam is the second part that is installed- and the second to last to repair if it goes flat because of a lifter. Until you lay on your back at 3 Am a few times making repairs because of one piece of shit part, that just cost you your profit for 2-3 weeks- you'll never understand it!

Hell, a thousand bucks isn't too much for a good set of fail proof lifters and camshaft!

I'll bet that unless ewe can get these lifter issues solved and find which ones work or don't work that 20% of the people that read this thread will become a statistic due to a lifter!

I know of shops that were pushing those OEM style lifters that have lost 25 engines since the frst of this year!

I got tired of it, and thats why I invested my time and money in the spintron, hell last week cost me 1000 bucks in materials, time, fuel etc... Interesting thing is that NOT ONE of the current lifter manufacturers or cam manufacturers has a testing device- AT ALL! Their customers prove their products- and sometimes lose their ass doing so!

It makes me want to puke, then rub the president of the shittiest company that makes lifters nose in it! He still says that theirs are the best!! What a damn liar!
lmcchesney
Nicely done Jake. Unless you have experience in experimental design, pilot run and adapation to the final design, it is hard to appreciate all the man hours and dedication required to have a method work. Congratulations and respect.
L. McC
Jake Raby
Thanks!! Testing for this week is already underway! Should be done by weeks end!
ChrisFoley
Jake,
In the past you have mentioned regrinding old OEM (Johnson) lifters. Have you made any progress on this front? What about using DLC on OEM iron lifters to improve their performance after regrinding?
Jake Raby
The next batch of test lifters will have various processes done to them to enhance them.. One set will be just reground, another reground and DLC'd and another cryoed. After that we have a test with micropolished Vs. parkerized, Vs' standard reground..

This machine has logged 100 hours in just under 2 weeks.. Last Thursday it ran all night, and all day!
phantom914
Stupid question: what is DLC?

Andrew
Jake Raby
"Diamond like carbon coating" Its the revolutionary way to kill wear in its tracks! I'm experimenting with iton 4 engines now and alot of my lifter testing..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.