Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 914 2.0 SOLD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
73Euro911S
FS: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 Liter

1973 Porsche 914 2.0
901 5-speed gearbox

VIN# 4732906320
125,814 miles
Black on black- original color
5-speed 901 manual gearbox
Recent service and deep maintenance

SOLD sad.gif smile.gif

The 73 2.0-liter 914 is considered the most desirable of the 4 cylinder models from the 914 production line with the combination of its reliable, powerful engine, light curb weight and improved interior features. The 2.0-liter car hit the sweet spot and remains a favorite today among the knowledgeable collectors for Porsche’s first production based mid-engine sports car.

This 914 2.0 is well equipped and retains all it original equipment from the factory except for the radio and aftermarket rear springs. I have not obtained a COA from Porsche but as a 73 2.0 it came standard with the appearance package that includes 15X5.5 light alloy Fuchs wheels, a leather covered shift boot and steering wheel, a padded storage bin between the seats, anti-roll bars (the rear was removed) and the 3 gauge center console.

Shortly upon acquiring the car in January 2011 I took it to Wayne Baker’s shop (Personalized Autohaus) in San Diego, CA and had them perform a comprehensive service and “deep” maintenance with the instructions to “make everything right” so that I could enjoy the car worry free and take it on the Targa California in early April 2011. $4,341 later the 914 was done and ran with the big boys on the Targa. It performed flawlessly and excelled on the tight twisty back roads of California’s central coast. The 914 never missed a beat, it returned great gas mileage and over the 1200 mile trip I didn’t even need to add oil!

The work completed in Feb 2011 included:
• Replaced all vacuum hoses and re-sealing injectors
• Replaced clutch and flywheel, TO bearing fork bush
• Repaired front clutch tube
• Installed new speedo cable
• R&R fuel tank (swapped 1.7 for correct 2.0 tank), replaced fuel lines
• R&R blower switch controls
• Major tune-up. valve adjustment, plugs, Pertronix ignitor, oil & fuel filter

Compression results were 140 on all 4 cylinders

Prior to my ownership the car spent most of its life in California and I am aware of its past 3 owners. To the best of my knowledge the car spent 26+/- years in Sacramento, 4-5 years in Encino (LA suburb) and now 2 in San Diego. The car has been very well cared for and well maintained since new and the recent records I have show the following:
• New distributor and Bosch coil 7/07
• New alternator and starter 7/07
• SS brake lines 7/08
• New (4) Bilstein shocks and 140
lb rear Weltmeister springs 7/08
• Michelin Exalto 195/65 15 tires 2008. I currently have a set of almost new BFG G Force 205/55 15's on the car. Bothe sets will go with the car if you want em'.

The car was repainted in its original black paint about 5 years ago, and still looks very nice. It’s not a concourse car, but the paint is still nice and shines very well. I repainted the hood in March 2011. Overall the paint is in great shape, there are no rust spots visible, but it does have a few nicks here and there. The bumpers are nice, the chrome has the typical fading on the front from road exposure but it is straight and dent free. The bumper top is very good. The rear bumper has one small dent, barely noticeable and the chrome is excellent. The top is also wave free and in great shape.

I bought this car after I inspected it and found it to be rust free. I checked the longitudinals, the hell-hole, the firewall (incl. behind the backpad) the floorboards and all the other rust prone spots. The car checked out and I wrote the check.

The interior appears to me to be original; the dash, seats, door panels, backpad, carpets, center console, and the gauges are all there and seem to be original to the car. Everything is in great shape for a 38 year old interior but it’s not perfect. But if you love patina and originality, well then it is perfect. The seats have a few small holes on the bolters, and a seam or two are beginning to split. The carpet is worn on the driver’s threshold and against the floorboard, but all the pieces are intact. The dash is un-cracked (very rare) but the top vinyl piece need replacing as it has shrunk ( I have the kit). For a driver level car, I can honestly say the overall appearance of the car is very, very nice and it has all aged gracefully.

Everything works on this car as it should. It shifts very well, it accelerates smoothly through all the gears, it handles great and the brakes perform well. Nothing vibrates or shakes or feels wrong, it’s tight and smooth. The Targa top periodically squeaks at the rear latches, but I think they all do. All the gauges, lights, switchgear, doors and locks, and mechanical systems perform as they should. This car could take you cross country.

Needs: Some of the rubber seals/trim pieces could/should be replaced. I just replaced the expensive front main Targa seal and the rear Targa seal on the top. Everything else is really minor. It does leak a small amount of oil, but it's not enough for me to worry about at this point.

This is an honest and great running 73 2.0-liter 914. This is the perfect Porsche for someone looking for a fun and affordable sports car that is mechanically sound and a blast to drive. Keep it as is and enjoy it. Everyone that sees it loves the car and appreciates the condition that it’s in. It would also be a great restoration candidate; it doesn’t need much from where it is now. It would also be a great platform to do a 6 cylinder conversion if more power is your thing. You would be spending your money on an engine and not rust repairs. It’s a great fun little car and I think it should be kept as is as there are fewer and fewer complete, unmolested 73 914 2.0’s on the road in this nice condition.

I have decided to sell this car as I would like to buy a more track focused car that is already prepared (or at least on the way). I just can’t seem to modify this car and alter the originality of it. Buying an existing track car is also more cost effective than starting from scratch.

I have tried to accurately represent this car the best I can, but you are welcome to inspect the car which I would recommend to verify for yourself. I am happy to supply you with additional photos and a copy of the recent mechanical service that I reference.

Thanks for looking,

Nick
DblDog
Really off topic...what size tires are on that car?
73Euro911S
QUOTE(DblDog @ Sep 14 2011, 07:54 PM) *

Really off topic...what size tires are on that car?

205/55 15's. They are BFG G Force Sports.
PegasoMex
Hi Nick
I am interested in your car.
How can I get in touch with you?
Best Regards
Javier
73Euro911S
QUOTE(PegasoMex @ Sep 19 2011, 12:59 PM) *

Hi Nick
I am interested in your car.
How can I get in touch with you?
Best Regards
Javier

Javier

Feel free to call me at 619-985-6162, or email: nick.psyllos@cbre.com

Thanks,

Nick
Tom_T
Nice 914 Nick!

Are you going to have it &/or another at the Coronado Speed Festival on Saturday per chance? confused24.gif

A FS sign in the SDR/PCA's Corral might get you some great exposure there.

I'll look for it Sat. blink.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
73Euro911S
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 22 2011, 11:17 AM) *

Nice 914 Nick!

Are you going to have it &/or another at the Coronado Speed Festival on Saturday per chance? confused24.gif

A FS sign in the SDR/PCA's Corral might get you some great exposure there.

I'll look for it Sat. blink.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom. I for sure would have the car at the Speed Festival but I will be in Hawaii during the event. I've had a few buyer's who have been really interested in the car but no sale so far. I'll start bringing it to Cars & Coffee Irvine soon. I sold a 356 cabriolet there a few years back.

A few people have asked about the steering wheel. In the photos the car has a vintage Clay Regazzoni Momo wheel. It's smaller (350mm) than the stock steering wheel and fits me better. I have a small collection of vintage steering wheel BTW, about 35 strong, which is about 34 more than any rational human needs! I will put the stock wheel back on the car for the sale.

Nick
AZ914
Wow, nice car! Good luck with the sale.
sean_v8_914
sweet 914
73Euro911S
Ok, back from Rennsport; time to get this car car sold. Lowering the price to $14,500 and of course, open to reasonable offers.

Nick

Cairo94507
Man, I love this car.
73Euro911S
I have lowered the price to $13,750 on this nice 914 2.0. Let's make a deal!

Nick
ramcycle
Nick, do you still have the car? If so, I would be interested. Your description is excellent. Do you have more pics?
My '73 2.0 had the rubber "thingys" on the front and rear bumpers, supposed to add more low speed crash protection. I don't see them on your car, which makes it look like a '72.
Also, you mention "anti-roll bars (the rear was removed)". What do you mean by "the rear was removed"?
Thanks.
73Euro911S
Ramcycle

I still have the 914 and it's still available for sale. I have not put any effort into marketing it lately and the weeks have tuned into months. I keep the car in a wherehouse that I have so it's been a bit of "out of sight, out of mind."

I am also doing an engine re-seal and detail on my 911S which has been taking all my $$$ and most of my Porsche car time over the past few months. I would like to sell the 914 as I need to replenish my bank account to cover the costs of the 911.

I have several more pictures of the car and I can easily take additional photos of anything you may be interested in. PM me your email address and I'll send you more.

I am not an expert on 914's (like I am with old 911's) so I can't really answer your question about the bumper guards (commonly referred to as tits) on my car. My car is a US version 73 914 2.0 and I don't know if the car was originally fitted with the bumpers you refer to or not. The extra protection would be marginal at best as there are no absorption dampeners on the 73 like on the 75-76 car have. The big black bumpers on those cars are ugly IMO and look like a solution to a government mandated requirement.

With respect to the rear sway bar, it's pretty common to replace the original rear springs (something like 90-95 lbs, but not sure) and the rear sway bar with a heavier rear spring and then remove the rear sway bar. They are easy to find and the bracketa are in place on my car. Others on the board can comment on the virtues or negative of this set up. But if that's the only thing keeping you from making a run at my car I'll find a rear sway for you and gift wrap it for Christmas!!

Nick
Tom_T
Glad you two got together! biggrin.gif

FYI for both of you & others looking in -

Re: the front bumper guards or "tits" - & many will back date the 73 & 74 bumpers to the non-tit variety for the cleaner look. US-DOT mandated a phase-in of F & R low speed crash protection, so 73 MY required 3 mph protection up front, & 74 both F&R, then 75 required 5 mph & 7 mph in CA IIRC (ergo mini-tits on the CA 75 & 76 914's big bumpers). I thinj it was 80-ish when they jumped to 15 mph bumpers.

Most of the 73 914-2.0's came "fully loaded" for the standard base price with both the Appearance Group of options (chrome bumpers with driving/fog lights & dual tone horns, vinyl & chrome trim at sails/rollbar, leather covered steering wheel & shifter boot, center console with 3 gauges [clock, wide-red-bar oil temp & voltmeter] & hinged center cushion on stowage box, loop pile carpet); and with the Performance Group of options (Fuchs 2L Forged Alloy Wheels & 16mm F & 15 mm R [anti-]sway bars ). As the DM escalated against the dollar in 73-74, Porsche first offered a few more basic 914-2.0's without all the options/groups to cut base cost (so verify any 73 missing the full AG+PG set-up), then in 74 MY everything became optional.

Re: rear sway bars - as Nick says, some take off the stock rear sway bars for AX, racing & heavier springs, etc. You can probably get them on here from several sources if you want them back on. IMHO for street driving, the F&R sway bars with stock springs/torsion bars & Koni or Bilstien shocks/inserts were the best balanced ride with good handling.

Hope this helps you two! santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
73Euro911S
Thanks for filling in the blanks Tom. This nice 914 needs a new home!! I think I'll take it out of the warehouse and drive it around for the next few days; it needs the exercise biggrin.gif

Nick
73Euro911S
My car has sold. I am happy to report that the car will remain in San Diego and has been bought by my close friend Wayne Baker who will use it as his DD while his long time 356 is being restored. He has raced 914's forever, says they are his favorite track car but he's never owned a stock, street 914. He loves the originality of my car.

Along the way I have acquired a few items for the car that I will be listing on this forum right after the first of the year, but include:

Complete sliver knit carpet kit (black)
RS style door panels (black vinyl)
Complete set of gauges, silver dot with led light upgrade
Scheel race bucket seat, black vinyl and corduroy insert
Koenig race bucket seat, black cloth bolsters and corduroy insert

Both the bucket seats are 914 specific seats and will come with tracks. I used them when I autocrossed the 914 and they worked great.

No pictures or prices (sorry) yet on the parts but I'll get that going after Xmas when I'm back in SD.

I enjoyed the 914 and while I didn't get to meet many who frequent this forum you guys and gals are a passionate group of good folk; always very helpful and accommodating. My plans for a track car as a replacement for the 914 are on hold as well. I'm pouring way too much money into my 73 911S right now (long story) and maintaining marital bliss takes prescedent over a track car. I also found that owning 3 P cars at the time time is a royal PITA for me. Two is plenty; I'll be happier.

Tom, I hope we can still get together in January. I'll still show you a good time.

Best to you all for a happy, healthy holiday shared with family and friends.

Nick
levonfarra
Hi Nick,

Congrats on the sale of your car.

Even though I do not have a 914 right now, I still check back on this site every once in a while to reminisce. And today I decided to browse and came across your post. I owned that car before you bought it from John C.

I am glad it is staying in SoCal. Maybe one day I will see it again somewhere. I miss that car!

Will your friend be joining this forum?

Wishing everyone a Happy Holiday season!

Levon
Tom_T
Congratz Nick,

I'll let you know if we can squeeze some time away from the girls when I'm down there.

It seems that this "Black Beauty" is making the rounds in SoCal, and would be interesting if she returned o one of her POs at some point! biggrin.gif

Merry & Happy!
santa_smiley.gif
73Euro911S
Thanks Levon and Tom

Wayne will not be joining the forum, I'm quite certain. He's not a "computer guy;" it's a generational thing! Wayne is a very well know and accomplished racer with most of his success coming in the early 80's. He won the 12 hours of Sebring in 1983 in a 934 and was the last privateer to do so. He was also very successful on the IMSA circuit back in the day driving a 914. Any vintage racer knows him, and I've been friends with him for several years. His shop has restored a few cars for me and do all the work on my air-cooled cars; I hang out at the shop at least once a week so I will see our old car frequently.

Tom- if your timing is good, please call, and thanks for the help.

Best,

Nick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.