914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
02loftsmoor
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment73 1.7L
Stock fenders, stock rims what's a good tire size, for the olgirl
thelogo
easy

195-60-15 but

even know it's tempting to get summer tires . WTF.gif

the smart play is touring tires in driving.gif headbang.gif my humble opinion .
type.gif ar15.gif

I have continental rear , nitto front's .. and to quote dr.914 himself

can't get much better then that """""""""""""""""""""

but since neither tire is currently avaiable

I will replace them w/ yokohama touring when they go
RickS
Stay away from Yoko Avids. I bought a set of 205 60 15s and they were terrible. The sidewalls are flexi-fliers and the rebound coming out of a fast corner is borderline terrifying. They load up on the outsides when you corner and then rebound the opposite direction upon exit, upsetting the car. They are going back this week. I did buy in their place Tire Racks currently #1 rate summer performance tire the Yoko S Drive in 205 55 15s and the difference is like night and day. They are excellent carvers in dry with unrelenting grip for the street. Wet remains to be seen. Check to see if they are available in your size.
jimkelly
i feel 195 x 60 x 15 looks best on my black car.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

my white roller has 205 x 60 x15 - and i feel are too wide for 4 lug fuch

it is impossible to see what i mean in these pics though : ((
sdthomas
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 15 2011, 05:21 AM) *

i feel 195 x 60 x 15 looks best on my black car.

my white roller has 205 x 60 x15 - and i feel are too wide for 4 lug fuch

it is impossible to see what i mean in these pics though : ((

Why do you think 205X60X15 is too wide? How do they affect the way the car drives?
Also, do you have a brand recommendation?
jimkelly
205x60x15

i personally don't think they are the right width for a fuch 5.5" width wheel

i have not driven this car much - but think the front tire might rub some too.

here is another minimal value pic : )

check out tire rack - but i am leaning ...
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

jim
eric9144
I run 205/60/15's and love them, wont be changing my tire size. They're mounted on 4 Bolt Fuchs with no issue.

Replacement brands are getting fewer but I've narrowed down my next set to either Goodyear Eagle GT's or BFGoodrich G-Force Sport.

Lower profile sidewalls make for high RPMs and a rougher ride so I stick with the 60 series. It's a good balance between performance and ride.
jimkelly
by the time this thread is a few pages long - you'll be saying - screw it - i'm selling this car : )))
mepstein
I ran 205x60x15 Yoko A008's on my stock 2.0 Fuchs and loved the combo for everything but snow. Ran it 5 years before I put the car away for 21 years. I would do that combo again if I bought a stock bodied car. But since different brands of tires measure different for the same size, your results may vary.

Just looked closer at your post, I would not do the 205's on steel wheels.
gklinger
QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 14 2011, 09:01 PM) *

I did buy in their place Tire Racks currently #1 rate summer performance tire the Yoko S Drive in 205 55 15s and the difference is like night and day. They are excellent carvers in dry with unrelenting grip for the street. Wet remains to be seen. Check to see if they are available in your size.

I had a set of the S Drives on my A3 and hated them. Only got about 17K out of them and they were so noisy after a while I seriously thought I had a bad wheel bearing. YMMV
JFJ914
QUOTE(gklinger @ Sep 16 2011, 03:13 PM) *

QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 14 2011, 09:01 PM) *

I did buy in their place Tire Racks currently #1 rate summer performance tire the Yoko S Drive in 205 55 15s and the difference is like night and day. They are excellent carvers in dry with unrelenting grip for the street. Wet remains to be seen. Check to see if they are available in your size.

I had a set of the S Drives on my A3 and hated them. Only got about 17K out of them and they were so noisy after a while I seriously thought I had a bad wheel bearing. YMMV

Interesting, I have them on a '96 A4 (205/55-16) and they are quiet and stick like crazy. They are even sticky in the rain!
RickS
Same experience here. Quite sticky, not a punishing ride, but your suspension enters
in here too, and relatively quiet. Tire life is not an issue since this is not a daily driver, but outstanding grip is. Mine are on 5 lug Fuchs in 6 and 7s.
Bazza
Hey everyone - seasons greetings! santa_smiley.gif

I'm going to be making a decision soon on new tires myself.....these will be going on the 5.5" 4 lug fuchs.

My local tire dealer was talking up Nitto Neo Gen - but the only size they have on a 15" wheel is the 205/50
Nitto Neo Gen

So now after reading this thread I'm leaning toward the Yoko S Drives 205/55 which I can get drop shipped from Tire Rack to my shop.

It's not my daily driver and no track - just some spirited driving [hopefully] around town... shades.gif

Opinions please......and thanks in advance for any input!
racerbvd
QUOTE(Bazza @ Dec 27 2011, 08:01 PM) *

Hey everyone - seasons greetings! santa_smiley.gif

I'm going to be making a decision soon on new tires myself.....these will be going on the 5.5" 4 lug fuchs.

My local tire dealer was talking up Nitto Neo Gen - but the only size they have on a 15" wheel is the 205/50
Nitto Neo Gen

So now after reading this thread I'm leaning toward the Yoko S Drives 205/55 which I can get drop shipped from Tire Rack to my shop.

It's not my daily driver and no track - just some spirited driving [hopefully] around town... shades.gif

Opinions please......and thanks in advance for any input!

Bazz, I always like 195/50/15s, remember, we are in FL, we don't have to deal with a lot of the same stuff others up north do..
Bazza

[/quote]

Bazz, I always like 195/50/15s, remember, we are in FL, we don't have to deal with a lot of the same stuff others up north do..
[/quote]

I thought wider was better for handling Byron......what about brand?
DRPHIL914
I have been running 195/55 15 on my 5.5 empi. Z rating, very firm. I do get just s slight rub in the inside front rear fenders at extreme end of turn. I have tested speed with my gps and it is right on with the gauge.

I believe the brand is Nexan, made by goodrich. Price was like $125 each.
aharder
I'm running with 195/60/15 Pirelli Cinturato P3000, driving.gif my third set of Pirelli's, Love em piratenanner.gif
Elliot Cannon
YOKO s drives. first.gif
vwsamba
Get the thinnest tires you can. No tire rubbing problems and the most fun as they slide the easiest driving.gif I always go for 165's in a terrible cheap compound. I had sticky tires once and they were no fun biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shwgNV36xFA

0.22 to 0.55
Jerry75914
I will second the vote BFGoodrich G-Force Sport in 205-60-15...I love them! They are a wide tire, wider than other 205s, but they just fit on my car without any rubbing at full lock. One side was very close on the rear, just used my hands to pull the fender out like a 1/4", other side was fine...testatment that our little cars are not built to be exactly symetrical.

I do some spirited driving, and they have performed excellent, give a smooth, quiet ride...and hardly seem to wear. no quiestion they will be my next set as well.
02loftsmoor
thanks for the Tip!!best one I have so far

QUOTE(Jerry75914 @ Dec 28 2011, 02:23 PM) *

I will second the vote BFGoodrich G-Force Sport in 205-60-15...I love them! They are a wide tire, wider than other 205s, but they just fit on my car without any rubbing at full lock. One side was very close on the rear, just used my hands to pull the fender out like a 1/4", other side was fine...testatment that our little cars are not built to be exactly symetrical.

I do some spirited driving, and they have performed excellent, give a smooth, quiet ride...and hardly seem to wear. no quiestion they will be my next set as well.

ww914
I run 195 55R 15 Falkens on the front and 205 55R 15 on the rear. They seem to work fine both in wet and dry on stock Fuchs. We'll see when I get my new engine.
Kraftwerk
I have Yokahama's 205/50/15's on SW 3 piece rims, they are a tight fit, that is the widest tire I can run w/o rolling the fenders,looks great.

What tire pressure are you all running?
Bazza
Thanks everyone! beer3.gif

I'm going to go with the skinnier ones...195/55/15 after reading your input here.....it will be a little upgrade from the stock 165's anyway. I'm anxious to get these nice Fuchs on the car plus I do need better tires so it will be a win win all around....

Click to view attachment
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Bazza @ Dec 28 2011, 05:37 PM) *

I'm going to go with the skinnier ones...195/55/15 after reading your input here

One other thing to consider is the circumference (or diameter) of the tire. A smaller tire like the 195/55R15 will throw the speedometer off by 5 to 6 mph at highway speeds (as well as making your car run at higher revs). And this is just my personal viewpoint, but I think the tire you're considering looks a little small ... I prefer a 195/65R15 tire.

Use one of the tire size calculators (I like to use the one at Tacoma World). I think the original tire size was 165/82R15.
vwsamba

[/quote]
One other thing to consider is the circumference (or diameter) of the tire. A smaller tire like the 195/55R15 will throw the speedometer off by 5 to 6 mph at highway speeds (as well as making your car run at higher revs). And this is just my personal viewpoint, but I think the tire you're considering looks a little small ... I prefer a 195/65R15 tire.
[/quote]

Really? I would have thought with the speedo drive coming off the Trans it would have no effect
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.