Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 For Sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
Today I saw a 1970 914-6 for sale by the original owner. This car has a lot of potential. If you want to contact the owner: Harold Nabhon: office 978 465-2000, home 978 462-3398 and cell 978 807-9913.
william harris
The Talbot racing mirrows were installed by the selling dealer back in 1970. My first concern with a car in New England (Massachusetts and Penn) all its life, was the ugly R word - rust. The hell holes were in fine shape. A little superficial rust on the original battery tray, but nothing on the frame.
type47
VIN?
william harris
The real problem with the car was a horrible tune up. The owner had a local Porsche dealer in New Hampshire attempt to rebuild and tune the carbs, they didn't even come close. Can't say much too good about the tail shifter either. But this is a very original and unmolested car.
scottb
what is the asking price on this? wife may just have my nits but i think i am done with them anyway..... spank.gif
william harris
The car was originally silver, was painted yellow at some point and then repainted silver again. The floor pans, jacking posts, jacking donuts, etc. seemed very solid. I will show the rust on the body in the following pictures.
william harris
This is the only really bad spot on the body. Owner is in his late 60's and not mechanically gifted. He had the original tool kit (you can see it in a later picture inside a plastic bag on the passenger seat) and it had never been opened.
william harris
Close up on rusted spot. It looks and feels like a very poor quality patch was done here at some point.
william harris
Both trunks were solid and no rust was observed in either trunk except for superficial rust under the headlights. I saw no evidence of crash damage in either trunk.
william harris
The interior was in very good shape. The original tool kit (never used and complete) is on the passenger seat.
william harris
Better view of interior.
william harris
Another interior view.
william harris
There was some superficial rust under the door sills. But this car has been garaged and well cared for. The owner is an attorney who also owned several 356s and other sports cars. Another interior view.
william harris
Couple of exterior shots.
GWN7
$$??
william harris
He is asking $14,900. You guys know I have my hands full with the 74 2.0 restoration. I would like to see this car go to a club member. The motor and transmission will definitely need work to make it a daily driver. But the car is solid and a good candidate for restoration. The owner is hard to reach, but I can assist with further inspections and details for serious buyers only.
Eric_Shea
$8k

That fender's going to require major metal work and I doubt that's the end of it in this car.

Excellent original base. Reminds me of my car when I found it. 70 year old owner. Bought it new. Steel wheels. Footrest. Goofy stereo. Not molested (with the exception of those Michigan Mirrors) w00t.gif Gotta throw one in there for my SMOG 6 friends slap.gif (sorry)
Joe Bob
Is it just me?

Or is this another reason idjuts should not own fun cars.....?
vortrex
$14.9k? I'd say he is way overpriced with the condition it's in. I will also say $8k.
ppickerell
8K? I'll go 9K as long as you don't force me to leave cali to inspect it.
Porsche Rescue
That car is worth $12 to $14 IF IF IF the rust is no worse than described. However that fender is very scary and it is hard to accept that the worm has invaded only one corner.
scottb
i'll give him $7k this weekend and drive it off on your recommendation.... scared of the east coast cars... unsure.gif
Eric_Shea
8K? I'll go 9K as long as you don't force me to leave cali to inspect it.

You'd have to leave Cali to have it repaired (ask Redbeard) laugh.gif

That car is worth $12 to $14 IF IF IF the rust is no worse than described. However

You've got to be kidding... wanna buy mine? It's done. biggrin.gif

Painted yellow and then silver again... all in it's 65k carreer? Check the shot with the drivers door open... there's a familiar ferrous-oxide color along the top of the outer rocker. The only good thing I can see about that car is the serial number starts with a 914 and it's unmolested. (sorry Bill not panning on your find it just needs to be priced right).

That "will" cost you $5-8k to fix (properly... like all sixes should be fixed). Will it be worth $17-22K when you're done? N-o-p-e.

I know, I know... you said IF, IF, IF, but honestly, what do you think the chances are that fender is the "only" place you'll find cancer on a Mass. car? You know better... I know you do. slap.gif
vortrex
I say the body/paint would be $10k to do right. got to get rid of all that yellow peeking through. fender needs to be cut out and replaced. the windshield trim is coming off on the same side (more rust?). the rockers are sure to be rusty and I bet the floors are too. then you also have a motor/trans that is not up to par. there actually is not a lot of good things about the car other than orig owner/65k miles for bragging rights.
Porsche Rescue
Yes I said "IF" regarding the rust. However, the question of "worth" is answered by what a buyer will pay. I have sold two 914-6's in the last couple of years that were not any better for $12,000. Almost any restorable six (that is not a total rust bucket) will bring $10 in today's market, and likely more in the future.
Regarding "worth" after restoration, it is my experience that you never get out what you put in. Restoring a car is always for fun, rarely for profit.
william harris
Guys I told the seller he was way over priced. This car has been for sale for 2 months with no offers. I also told him he was unlikely to get any offers as it runs so poorly. Having spent 9 months on my disassembly, restoration, I think this car would be a good restoration candidate. Yes, I pointed out the rust along the driver's side rocker to the owner. I suggested to him that we remove the sill plate and drill out the rivets for the rocker cover, he thought I was crazy. If there is a serious buyer out there, PM me and I will give you the owner's office and cell phone numbers, go back and take my big floor jack and shop lights and take more detailed pictures, etc. Would like to see this car saved to a good home. I did not see any other rust issues on the body. The chrome trim on the windshield was loose because of a couple of broken clips. No evidence of rust in either trunk floor. Anyway, I have no connection to this car other than I thought it was interesting to see an original owner car for sale here in the People's Republic - Remember we gave you Kerry. biggrin.gif
william harris
VIN: 9140432156.
Eric_Shea
Almost any restorable six (that is not a total rust bucket) will bring $10 in today's market, and likely more in the future.

That's good to know... that "really" good to know. But "why" is what I would ask. Jim, you know these cars inside and out I assume... and I understand your issues with actual selling price and what people are wlling to pay (so this is not an issue with you) but now I'm left wondering, as I think "top-down".

Meaning: If you've got 12-14k into this package that William found... let's give it the benifit of the doubt and say $10k as suggested. I'm more inclined to agree with Vortrex... you "will" have (at least) another $10k getting it respectable. Back to "top-down". What is the top end these things are selling for? Are they getting $20k? My guess is; all the spit and elbow grease you can put into it will net you a $17k car. On the high end it's a $7k money pit. On the low end it's a $3k money pit. We haven't even talked about rebuilding the engine, transmission, brakes, suspension.

Sure I've seen $22k cars (in our own classifed section). I've seen $19k cars in Pano but I've never seen a cashiers check for a $19k stock 914-6. Meaning... are those high dollar cars really selling for those amounts? Shit, on this board they were panning on that ex-racers green 914-6 up in the Northeast that a guy was brokering (didn't have the proper rear bumper, bla, bla, bla). Wasn't that only $14k? It looked awesome comparitively... it probably ran well too. (can someone find the link?)

Maybe there's hope. When I'm done putting on the sail panel vinyl and new rubber goodies, my car will have a standing $19.9k price tag on it (not $20k). Think about it... that's only $5-6 grand more that the rusted hulk you see here (that'll you'll dump $10k into restoring) and all you have to do to have fun is turn the key and the steering wheel. PLUS, my car is 77 cars newer than his!! w00t.gif

Bring your cashiers check to:

Me in Sandy, UT biggrin.gif
william harris
You guys are brutal. But then, the truth hurts don't it? laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
You're restoring one of these thangs... you know. There's truth in that knowledge. biggrin.gif
Red-Beard
I bought the blond, in worse condition than that for $7500. With the Engine rebuild and the other recent work, I will have about $17,000 in the car.

But it is also has been upgraded to side shift, movable passenger seat, leather interior (soon), rusturation, and now has a 2.7RS spec engine with 16 inch Fuchs.

Can I sell it for more than $17,000? I don't know. Not planning to sell. My intention was to put a car together that will last for years of fun. PCA has it valued ay $26,500, and so it's insured for that.

James
anthony
Meaning: If you've got 12-14k into this package that William found... let's give it the benifit of the doubt and say $10k as suggested. I'm more inclined to agree with Vortrex... you "will" have (at least) another $10k getting it respectable. Back to "top-down". What is the top end these things are selling for? Are they getting $20k? My guess is; all the spit and elbow grease you can put into it will net you a $17k car. On the high end it's a $7k money pit. On the low end it's a $3k money pit. We haven't even talked about rebuilding the engine, transmission, brakes, suspension.

I think you'd be able to get low 20s for this car if a) it had a first class paint/body restoration, cool.gif you got the engine running well, and c) the interior was restored to like new. So if you buy it for $10K and put $10-12K into it, you'll get your money back out of it but not your time and there would be the risk of it costing more than you think. I'd only want to pay like $8K because there are so many unknowns with a car like this. Rust could be worst than you think or the engine may need to be taken apart.

I think cars like this sometimes sell for more than they are "logically" worth because people are willing to resort to restoration in order to get the 914-6 they want. Really nice cars don't come up for sale very often. All the $14-18K 914-6es you see offered for sale aren't minty cars, they are drivers with wear around the edges. Then there are the $20K+ listings that we see and the cars are still just drivers except the owners have unrealistic expectations of value.
Porsche Rescue
I agree with Anthony. A decent driver is one thing, a restored car another. Generally the restorer spends more than the car will be worth on the market. You should restore a car for the enjoyment of the project, not the dollar value at the end. If the goal is to own a restored car, buy one already done at 50 to 75 cents on the dollar.
Gint
blink.gif

I dunno what you guys are talking about.

wacko.gif
william harris
I have owned 6 Porsches: 3 911s, two Boxsters and my pride and joy 914. The restoration is a labor of love - I can truly say I have enjoyed the restoration more than anything I have ever done with a car - this includes DE events, Autocross, Concours, etc. I know this car like no other. Hell, my Boxster is a great car - I drive it every day - until I can unleash the 914 (well, except for winter when the 914 stays home and the Boxster goes out). Money? I keep all the receipts in a 3 ring binder and I never, ever add them up. Value, well it ain't for sale and never will be. That's my view of the world. cool.gif
Eric_Shea
I've restored 2 in the last 3 years. Working on #3 now. I love these cars more than most. I've pissed enough money away to know that I don't like pissing money away. But hey... to each his or her own.

Someone HURRY and buy it... money's no object. If it's a labor of love, someone should be lustfully infatuated with this one. I see about 730 days of unadulterated, hot, sinful garage sex here. wub.gif

Take some video and keep some spreadsheets for us "voyeurs" out here (even with all the garage sex I've been having I could always use some more) mueba.gif

Jim, you've got plenty of romping room in that big ole garage. Get a waterbed filled with PB Plaster. Slather on the Mobil 1 Synth Grease and "Lube'r Up"! laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
Here's another thought:

Based upon the $7,000 you'll lose over the 730 days you'll spend "Garage-Bangin" it you've got yourself a pretty cheap piece of ass grouphug.gif
william harris
Well, no alimony, no bitchin', no you need to do this now. Ya know what I mean? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.