Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 917 North America, Inc.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
This is a very interesting Press Release. The shop at JB Racing is very near to all of us here in the Orlando, Central Florida area...Enjoy the news!

Tavares, FL, August 3, 2011 – 917 North America, Inc. announced today that it is leasing space in JB Racing’s
manufacturing facility to begin the production and sales of an authentic reproduction of the LMK 917 race
car made famous during the 60’s and 70’s Golden Age of Racing as well as by Steve McQueen in the movie
“Le Mans.”
The company will have the exclusive North American rights to build the LMK 917 replica. The company
intends to start building ten cars a year, a number they expect will grow. JB Racing, a well-respected
manufacturer of race car engines for the American Le Man series, among others, will be providing custom-built
engines and gear boxes for the cars 917 North America Inc will build.
James Barron, the company’s CEO and founder, is seeking to bring this world-renowned car to life again.
“Porsche only made 25 of the original 917s, and all are in private collections or on display in museums,” said
James Barron, the company’s CEO. “In a survey among racing enthusiasts, the LMK 917 was voted the most
popular sports racing car of all time. However, it would costs millions to own one, if you could find anyone
willing to sell theirs.”
While the LMK 917 is considered to be the pre-eminent car of the era known as the “Golden Age of Racing”,
it would be the 1971 cult classic film “Le Mans” starring Steve McQueen that would sear the 917 into the
psyche of people the world over as the epitome of cool and the ultimate racing car. Jerry Seinfeld owns the car
McQueen drove in “Le Mans,” and it is valued at over $4 million dollars. 917 North America will be selling
their cars for a fraction of that price.
Hans Mezger, the legendary Porsche engineer who developed the seminal
engine found in the Porsche 911, and the mastermind behind the original
Porsche 917’s powerful 12 cylinder engine, saw a replica last year in Austria
of the Martini & Rossi 917 that won Le Mans in 1971. The car was built by
the company we will be receiving the rights from to build the car in North
America, Mr. Mezger was so taken with the quality of workmanship that when
asked by the new owner of the car if he would place his signature on the car,
he didn’t hesitate.
Mr. Barron has been involved in motor sport in some aspect since his teens,
when he would build and race his own cars. Mr. Barron has a personal
connection to the Porsche 917 that spans 40 years. “The first time I saw the car
was in 1970 at Daytona International Speedway. I had never seen a car go that
fast on the banking. “It blew me away.” Mr. Barron went on to explain, “In the pits standing next to the car, the
sound of the engine is something you never forget”.
In an amazing coincidence, Vic Elford, who was driving the Porsche 917 on that day (and who is arguably the
most famous Porsche 917 driver of all time), is now a board member of 917 North America Inc. Mr. Elford is
working with the company to promote and market the 917 at events throughout the United States. Mr. Barron
plans to honor Mr. Elford and his remarkable career by creating a “Limited Edition” custom Vic Elford 917.
To ensure success, Mr. Barron has assembled a dynamic team. “We believe in seeking and attracting industry
leaders to provide counsel and support to grow our company.”In addition to Mr. Elford, the company has
partnered with Jim Higgs and JB Racing who have over 30 years of experience building high performance
racing engines and parts for Porsche. JB Racing designs and manufactures
a wide variety of custom high performance racing components with stateof-
the-art computerized machining and engine dynamometer testing
equipment. In addition to component manufacturing, they offer specialized
engine machine work, race engine building and dyno testing services.
Their client list includes teams from many racing series such as the American Le Mans Series (ALMS), and
Grand American Road Racing (Grand-AM), They also provide products and services to many semi-pro and
amateur racers competing in various divisions, such as Sports Car Club of America (SCCA), Historic Sports
car Racing (HSR), Porsche Club of America (PCA), and BMW Club Racing.
“It’s a huge advantage for us to partner with Jim,” to build the engines and provide gearboxes to our
customers wishing a turnkey product said Mr. Barron, and Jim will be a great source of information and
guidance for the company.”
917 North America has also added Michael Bissonnette to the company’s Board of Advisors. “Michael has
built four multi-million dollar companies, including Aerogrow, and taken two of them public,” said Mr. Barron.
“Mr. Bissonnette said there is both great market potential for the company’s car and great business investment
potential. “There are over four million vintage car enthusiasts in the United States, and the LMK 917 is one of
the most beloved cars of all time. Those are the basic ingredients of a great business recipe.”
People interested in learning more about 917 North America Inc. should contact Mr. Barron at
james917northamerica@gmail.com ###
Bartlett 914
WOW So cool! It makes me want to rent the movie.
blitZ
Nice. I'll take one in silver with a targa top.
nathansnathan
That is cool. Jim Busby's shop is right next door to mine, in Laguna. Maybe I could actually get to check one out sometime. beer.gif
Series9
I know the people who own this company. It's not too far from my shop in DeLand.

There has been some casual discussion about me being involved in some way.....smile.gif
URY914
I'm going to talk to them about me delivering the cars on my trailer. biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(bcheney @ Sep 15 2011, 07:20 AM) *

This is a very interesting Press Release. The shop at JB Racing is very near to all of us here in the Orlando, Central Florida area...Enjoy the news!

Tavares, FL, August 3, 2011 – 917 North America, Inc. announced today that it is leasing space in JB Racing’s
manufacturing facility to begin the production and sales of an authentic reproduction of the LMK 917 race
car made famous during the 60’s and 70’s Golden Age of Racing as well as by Steve McQueen in the movie
“Le Mans.”
The company will have the exclusive North American rights to build the LMK 917 replica. The company
intends to start building ten cars a year, a number they expect will grow. JB Racing, a well-respected
manufacturer of race car engines for the American Le Man series, among others, will be providing custom-built
engines and gear boxes for the cars 917 North America Inc will build.
James Barron, the company’s CEO and founder, is seeking to bring this world-renowned car to life again.
“Porsche only made 25 of the original 917s, and all are in private collections or on display in museums,” said
James Barron, the company’s CEO. “In a survey among racing enthusiasts, the LMK 917 was voted the most
popular sports racing car of all time. However, it would costs millions to own one, if you could find anyone
willing to sell theirs.”
While the LMK 917 is considered to be the pre-eminent car of the era known as the “Golden Age of Racing”,
it would be the 1971 cult classic film “Le Mans” starring Steve McQueen that would sear the 917 into the
psyche of people the world over as the epitome of cool and the ultimate racing car. Jerry Seinfeld owns the car
McQueen drove in “Le Mans,” and it is valued at over $4 million dollars. 917 North America will be selling
their cars for a fraction of that price.
Hans Mezger, the legendary Porsche engineer who developed the seminal
engine found in the Porsche 911, and the mastermind behind the original
Porsche 917’s powerful 12 cylinder engine, saw a replica last year in Austria
of the Martini & Rossi 917 that won Le Mans in 1971. The car was built by
the company we will be receiving the rights from to build the car in North
America, Mr. Mezger was so taken with the quality of workmanship that when
asked by the new owner of the car if he would place his signature on the car,
he didn’t hesitate.
Mr. Barron has been involved in motor sport in some aspect since his teens,
when he would build and race his own cars. Mr. Barron has a personal
connection to the Porsche 917 that spans 40 years. “The first time I saw the car
was in 1970 at Daytona International Speedway. I had never seen a car go that
fast on the banking. “It blew me away.” Mr. Barron went on to explain, “In the pits standing next to the car, the
sound of the engine is something you never forget”.
In an amazing coincidence, Vic Elford, who was driving the Porsche 917 on that day (and who is arguably the
most famous Porsche 917 driver of all time), is now a board member of 917 North America Inc. Mr. Elford is
working with the company to promote and market the 917 at events throughout the United States. Mr. Barron
plans to honor Mr. Elford and his remarkable career by creating a “Limited Edition” custom Vic Elford 917.
To ensure success, Mr. Barron has assembled a dynamic team. “We believe in seeking and attracting industry
leaders to provide counsel and support to grow our company.”In addition to Mr. Elford, the company has
partnered with Jim Higgs and JB Racing who have over 30 years of experience building high performance
racing engines and parts for Porsche. JB Racing designs and manufactures
a wide variety of custom high performance racing components with stateof-
the-art computerized machining and engine dynamometer testing
equipment. In addition to component manufacturing, they offer specialized
engine machine work, race engine building and dyno testing services.
Their client list includes teams from many racing series such as the American Le Mans Series (ALMS), and
Grand American Road Racing (Grand-AM), They also provide products and services to many semi-pro and
amateur racers competing in various divisions, such as Sports Car Club of America (SCCA), Historic Sports
car Racing (HSR), Porsche Club of America (PCA), and BMW Club Racing.
“It’s a huge advantage for us to partner with Jim,” to build the engines and provide gearboxes to our
customers wishing a turnkey product said Mr. Barron, and Jim will be a great source of information and
guidance for the company.”
917 North America has also added Michael Bissonnette to the company’s Board of Advisors. “Michael has
built four multi-million dollar companies, including Aerogrow, and taken two of them public,” said Mr. Barron.
“Mr. Bissonnette said there is both great market potential for the company’s car and great business investment
potential. “There are over four million vintage car enthusiasts in the United States, and the LMK 917 is one of
the most beloved cars of all time. Those are the basic ingredients of a great business recipe.”
People interested in learning more about 917 North America Inc. should contact Mr. Barron at
james917northamerica@gmail.com ###

There is some confusion out there - James Barron is not JB Racing, Jim Higgs is JB Racing. 917 NA is leasing space from JB Racing's Building and JB will be doing motors & component manf. JB Racing ( who does all my Motor work) has a Building full of CNC machines, Engine Room ( that one of best friend's runs) and an Engine Dyno.

Alex Job Racing is right next door
nathansnathan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 15 2011, 07:16 AM) *

There is some confusion out there - James Barron is not JB Racing, Jim Higgs is JB Racing. 917 NA is leasing space from JB Racing's Building and JB will be doing motors & component manf. JB Racing ( who does all my Motor work) has a Building full of CNC machines, Engine Room ( that one of best friend's runs) and an Engine Dyno.

I was confused, missed that first part.
" The shop at JB Racing is very near to all of us here in the Orlando, Central Florida area."
I was thinking they were talking about Jim Busby's JB Racing, who did development for the 962 here in Laguna. confused24.gif
RFoulds
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 15 2011, 04:29 AM) *

WOW So cool! It makes me want to rent the movie.

Don't Rent it. BUY IT!!
bcheney
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Sep 15 2011, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 15 2011, 07:16 AM) *

I was confused, missed that first part.
" The shop at JB Racing is very near to all of us here in the Orlando, Central Florida area."
I was thinking they were talking about Jim Busby's JB Racing, who did development for the 962 here in Laguna. confused24.gif

Nope not Bus...My best friend worked for Busby on that 962 program back in the late 80's..I visited the shop once...pretty cool place...I didnt realize he still had the shop operational. Saw he and his wife with my buddy when we were all at Rennsport Reunion in Daytona a few years back.
Eric_Shea
There has been some casual discussion about me being involved in some way.....

Bring your "book" with you and show'em all you know! biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Gunnar racing is building there first contiuation 917 also. wow we will all have 917's in the future !

Hope it gets a 12cylinder though.
ripper911
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Sep 15 2011, 05:06 PM) *

In a few years these things will be all over the streets lol laugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKhFrZ3-vQ

Elliot Cannon
What a bunch of B S. Who wants anything to do with a 40 year old car design? lol-2.gif
bandjoey
Check out the hell hole in 5 years...and get ready to start the CSOB 917world site. happy11.gif
carr914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 15 2011, 04:35 PM) *

Gunnar racing is building there first contiuation 917 also. wow we will all have 917's in the future !

Kevin is building his 917 on a 962 Chassis - 6cylinder Turbo
1970 Neun vierzehn
I wonder then, will these be tagged......NARP? biggrin.gif confused24.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 15 2011, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 15 2011, 04:35 PM) *

Kevin is building his 917 on a 962 Chassis - 6cylinder Turbo

TC, check this out;
GP 917S-001
This is an exact clone, but we are using 3.8L flat fan engine with a Quaife 5 speed transmission
carr914
This is Kevin's 917/962

Click to view attachment
URY914
This is getting out of hand.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 16 2011, 06:45 AM) *

This is Kevin's 917/962

That is interesting. I generally try to follow what he does, but missed this project. I love their projects!

I looked over the links on his site and it's not a 917 on a 962 chassis. The 962 used a monocoque design for the main chassis while the 917 used a tube frame. Kevin is using a clone of a 917 tube frame with select 962 and 911 parts. I suspect because the 962/911 parts are cheaper/easier to source than 917 parts.

Richard
carr914
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 16 2011, 01:47 PM) *

This is Kevin's 917/962

That is interesting. I generally try to follow what he does, but missed this project. I love their projects!

I looked over the links on his site and it's not a 917 on a 962 chassis. The 962 used a monocoque design for the main chassis while the 917 used a tube frame. Kevin is using a clone of a 917 tube frame with select 962 and 911 parts. I suspect because the 962/911 parts are cheaper/easier to source than 917 parts.

Richard

Just passing along what I have read

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Richard Casto
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 16 2011, 10:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 16 2011, 01:47 PM) *

This is Kevin's 917/962

Richard

Just passing along what I have read

Based upon that article, your post makes absolute sense. While the frame is clearly 917, who knows when it is done if it will be more 917 or 962? Out of curiosity, where is that article from?

If you goto http://www.gunnarracing.com/ and click on the "Projects" link there is an entry for what they call the GPR 917-001 with about five different updates over the past year. It doesn't go into details as to why (such as in that article), but provides some other details. Apparently it will allow either a newer flat six or an orig 917 flat twelve. They say they are using a Quaife transmission mated to a 962 bellhousing and 3.8L slide valve injected RSR flat fan six in the first one they are building.

Richard
carr914
I go to GunnarRacing's site , but never clicked on that car because there is no picture. Looks like a completely different car than the 917/962

My Article clip comes from April 2012 Panorama
Rleog
The rear looks heavily modified from the 917 tube frame.

IPB Image
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 15 2011, 03:08 PM) *

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Sep 15 2011, 05:06 PM) *

In a few years these things will be all over the streets lol laugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKhFrZ3-vQ

Way way cool..Thank you!
carr914
QUOTE(Rleog @ Sep 17 2011, 07:12 AM) *

The rear looks heavily modified from the 917 tube frame.

IPB Image

That picture is of a 908 - different animal
KELTY360
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 15 2011, 03:08 PM) *

Honey, would you get a quart of milk, a dozen eggs and some tampons while you're out?
Rleog
Dohhhh...

correct animal:

IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Nov 3 2015, 09:19 PM) *

http://www.porsche-917.de/
For your viewing pleasure. smile.gif

Resurrection of a street going Porsche-12.

bummer, page won't load for me sad.gif

on gt40s.com there was a guy that was supposed to be building a 917 replica as well...he was going to use 2 6 cylinder Subaru motors coupled together somehow, no idea how far he made it.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 16 2011, 02:45 AM) *

This is Kevin's 917/962

Click to view attachment

Is it just my eyesight or does the engine/ drive- train seem canted up about 10° on the Gunnar build ?
Marty
Mueller
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 3 2015, 10:04 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 16 2011, 02:45 AM) *

This is Kevin's 917/962

Click to view attachment

Is it just my eyesight or does the engine/ drive- train seem canted up about 10° on the Gunnar build ?
Marty

nope, looks like an odd angle to me too...
veekry9
The drysumped turbo six is ok with the "odd" angle,to fit the aero tray.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.