Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
I got the roll pin out of the pedal cluster but the clutch pedal is solidly rusted into place. I used a 2 pound sledge, punch, and a vice for over 1/2 hour with no luck. Tried heating it with a torch, still no dice. According to the pelican article, the pin is the hardest part of the pedal cluster rebuild. I think someone lied to me. I suppose a machine shop will have to do the work on Monday. In the mean time, I'll rebuild some brake calipers and install the stainless brake lines that arrived today.
Rusty
Wow, that's wierd. My clutch pedal came off with a bit of wiggling and some WD-40.

Have you tried soaking it in penetrant?

-Rusty smoke.gif
Ctrout
It's been soaked in WD-40 since I took it out of the car.
rhodyguy
forget the wd-40. try pb blaster or aerokroil.

kevin
736conver
I too have had the same problem. I just gave up and got a different cluster. It seems a press should be able to get it off but theres not much to work with for leverage. Good luck.
Ctrout
Where do I get a new cluster and for how much?
SLITS
QUOTE(Ctrout @ Jul 17 2004, 06:33 AM)
Where do I get a new cluster and for how much?

You get it from one of your fellow 914world.com parts junkies. biggrin.gif I prolly have a couple laying around myself. Price is generally about $20 - $25 (that's what the guys that rebuild them pay for a complete one).

You can get them already rebuilt - email Glenn Sager a914luvr@sbcglobal.net - I think he has a source.
Rhodes71/914
icon_bump.gif
Just wandering what you ended about your pedal cluster Ctrout. I too have a solidly rusted clutch pedal. smash.gif

Think I'll check the classifieds.
mikey
Don't give up just yet. I had the same trouble. WD40, Sledge hammer, propane torch...nothing worked. Then I got a MAPP gas torch (hotter than propane) and the clutch pedal finally came off the shaft.

The Pelican article did lie to you though. The pin is a bitch coming out. But it was even worse going back in. Throw away the C shaped Weltmeister pin uf that's what you got in the kit and get the original spiral type one.
jim912928
I just rebuilt mine (I was lucky...clutch pedal came right off...and I had the original plastic bushings in there!).

The pin was very easy to get in (factory one)...I used my bench vice and pressed it in....took a total of about 2 minutes. Forget about pounding it in...use a bench vise!

Jim
Rhodes71/914
Took a break for it last night but I am going to try again today. If I can't get it I may be looking for one.

Do you know if I can use my propane torch head on a MAPP cylinder?
Rog914
Had the same problem. Bought a petal cluster off Evil-Bay. It was all rusted up, took me a week just to get the roll pin out. Took me two more weeks to get the thing separated. Tried everything, banging, soaking, heating. Finally a friend said, Well you burnt that plastic bushing out & it gives you a little play in there now just take a peice of pipe (big enough to fit through the shaft but fit on the petal) & beat the petal IN to break the rust seal. Sure enough took a few good hard hits & beat it in a little more than a 1/8" to break that rust seal. Then took a 7/16" (about) shaft & beat it out.

Hope this helps you all

Ralph

74 2.0
Rhodes71/914
I think there will be a lot of banging in my garage today. It only took me about 3 hours to get the pin out, may it will only take 6 to get the pedal off the shaft. smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.