Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Historic Plates in NJ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I was at the weekly antique car show in Pomton Lakes this thursday and all the cars had Historic plates (there was a yellow 75 or 76 1.8 there for sale, no owner insight if someone is interested) After getting home I was wondering what the advantage of having these plates would be?
TimT
I have historic plates for my 911. Dont know about Jersey,but in NY they offer no real advantage, except perhaps they add a bit more uniqueness to the car. In NY you get no insurance discounts etc if you have historic plates
VegasRacer
In different states Historic, Classic, Antique, etc. plates have different rules. However, most are similar to New Jersey. The NJ MVC regulations say: "Historic plates cost $41. Any motor vehicle at least 25 years old, owned as a collector's item and only used for exhibition and educational purposes by the owner qualify for this plate. Two (2) color photographs of the vehicle must be included with your application for historic vehicle registration. One (1) should be a front view and the other should be a side view (right or left) with a copy of your vehicle's New Jersey title. They come personalized as well and the fee is $91."

The benefit - You get a cool looking plate on your car. Anybody with extra $'s can get a special issue graphic or a vanity. Only people with a nice vintage car can get 'Historic' plates.

The negative - While you may be able to get cheaper insurance on your car if you use it only for special event, you lose the option of driving it any time you want to.

IPB Image
ruddyboys
An Extra 41 bucks to the state just for historic plates, I don't think so. A friend said if you have these plate you dont have to take the car to inspection, sounded fishy
Kerrys914
In VA the Historic plate restricts you to 500mi trips, special events, and PERFORMANCE testing wink.gif

NO state inspection or county sticker is required. I don't need a ford/cheby guy telling me what my teener needs mad.gif

The cops around here will not bother you unless you are acting like an ass. I drive mine to work 2-3 times a week, no issues at all.

Lets hope PA has something similar

Cheers beerchug.gif
cgnj
Hi,

You only need to pay the registration fee every 4 years. much cheaper than the annual fees. No inspection is correct.

Carlos
tod914
That's my friend, John's car. I found it for him last year. Local car in Garfield. Carlos is right, no inspection required. Let me know next time your going to the show. I might try to go next week. Im about 15 minutes away. There is a huge show every Wed. at Bear Mountian Inn. Alot of nice cars there. Was there about 3 weeks ago. Worth the drive up. Think we met at home depot last year if Im thinking of the right person?

Tod
Sandee
Also ... there's the option of "Collector" plates. The diff there is, you don't get the special QQ, but you do save on the registration and insurance - PLUS you can drive the car! No need to worry about the "drive it to a show only" rule. With Collector car status - you only get a diddly sticker for the windshield ... but that's "cool" too, if you're looking for the eeww aaww factor ...

rolleyes.gif

Mind you, there are still mileage restrictions - 5,000 miles a year if I remember correctly.

And yes, you do need to get the car inspected - once. And all they wanted to see was the odometer 'roll over' - to document the mileage. Of course, mine is busted right now (the ONE thing on my nearly perfect little 914!). So, I'm waiting for the re-built unit to return from PA ...

Lastly ... I got specialty insurance with Leland West - EXCELLENT customer service and the president is a Porsche collector. You have to be a PCA member, send then a bunch of pictures of the car and poof ... collision, replacement value and liability for about $400/year. The car also needs to be kept in a locked garage, etc. So ... now, everything is covered and insured - and I really don't have to worry about where I go (vs driving to shows only, etc.). I understand folks with QQ plates don't really follow that rule 100% ... but I just didn't want to get caught, and not be insured, etc. FYI ... http://www.lelandwest.com/, as for Charlene.

... I love my car!

wub.gif
tod914
Sandee,

You sure it's your spedometer and not the angle drive or cable? Give me a holler if you need a hand. I have a new angle drive that I didn't install. BTW, 8 Aug PCA Concours and picknick. Hope to see you there. pca.org northern NJ chapther. Hopefully I will be able to make it. Waiting on Jeff to finish up some harness' for me. Been working on detailing the trunks and engine bay. Front and rear trunks are spotless now biggrin.gif
ruddyboys
I never relized there were so many from Jersey.
mueba.gif mueba.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Mississippi cost 25 dollars and you never have to do it again. :finger2:
jnp914
In Missouri, you are supposed to keep a log, documenting each trip. Yeah, right.

In Nevada, in Clark and Washoe counties, you only have to have the initial smog inspection, and that is where the initial mileage is recorded. Afterwards, you certify that you have not driven more than 2500 miles the preceding year.

In both states, State Farm gave me a great rate on insurance. My '67 Corvette was only $120 a year.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Va914 @ Jul 17 2004, 07:45 AM)
Lets hope PA has something similar

it is similar.

PA Antique and Classic Vehicles state website is quite comprehensive..

they consider Historic or Classic use *1* day a week. most of our cars are sufficiently unique that they'd be easy to recognise in regular use, and the substabtial overlay of police jurisdiction means there really are cops who know what's going on in their back yard. i haven't really had any hassles (yet) other than a brief incident with a trailer when moving in, and my impression is that they're a pretty professional bunch - which means that if they say you on the street 3 days a week, week after week, they'd probably have to call you on it, and you'd pretty much be defenseless on the issue ...

the BIG thing Classic (>10 years) and Antique (>25 years) plates get you is exemption from annual inspections. there ARE other restrictions - read the PA code...

and of course, just because the vehicle is exempt from annual inspections does not mean it is exempt from the provisions of the vehicle code - if you have a light out, you're subject to being called on it, Antique car or no, and since the vehicle is not being inspected yearly, it MAY be subject to more roadside scrutiny than if you can just say "it was working when i left the house, i'll get it fixed right away."

for now, my antique car *is* my daily car. when that changes, i'll very seriously reconsider the registration status...

(still not sure i'm ready for the concept that a car that's as younger than me is an "antique" ... the '53 - okay, i could see that...)
Sandee
<< 8 Aug PCA Concours and picnic >>

YES! I'm going AND I might even enter the concours!

Remember, High Marques Service said it was a "Cream Puff" ...

IPB Image

No idea about what didn't actually work. I'm not much of a tinker-er. I did pop it out of the dash myself ... that was a big first step. I have a second speedometer, same problem - so maybe you're' right. You're down the street, pretty much - can I stop by? Email me your # ... I might have misplaced it. Thanks!
tod914
Sure Sandee,

Im home most of the time. Sliced my knee pretty good yesterday, so next week would be fine. Should be healed by then. Be happy to take a look for you. I'll PM you my address. Anxious to see your car too. You should enter the event. Being it's your first one, you would enter as a novice for the first season or two. I really enjoy it. Gives you an idea on what needs attention to your car. You get a check list with points and comments on your trunk areas, exterior and interior. I don't do full concours, way too much work.

Talk to you soon,

Tod
tmp914
Hey everyone, where and when is the car show in Pompton lakes ? Thanks Tom beer.gif
tod914
Tom it's Thursdays till about 9pm. Starts around 5pm. It is located where the old Ben Franklin use to be. In the new shopping center there. There is North Jersey Plumming to the west of it, on Ringwood Ave. That traffic light there is where you turn into the center.
Sandee
My car passed inspection!!!

Here's my NJ Collectors Sticker!!! How cool is THIS!

IPB Image
ruddyboys
Hi Sandee, That looks great. I have mine registered since June and haven't had it running long enough to bring it to inspection. Pulling the engine today, again, to replace a broken valve spring and a chewed up exhaust valve. Hope to be able to install everything next week, heading down the shore for a little vacation this week beerchug.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.