Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting Engine to Engine Stand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Site
I'm a *very* amateur mechanic, and I'm sure this question is very elementary for most on the forum, but I would appreciate the help.

I'm preparing to mount my engine to a BugPack floor engine stand (ordered from Aircooled.net). I have separated the transmission from the engine and have removed the flywheel and a few other parts. I'm ready to mount the engine to the bracket on the stand now.

Here's my issue: there were no instructions with the stand. I'm not sure how/where to mount the engine. There are 2 studs coming off the engine case (these studs formerly retained the trans) that seem to fit into the flanges on the end of the stand's "U" shaped bracket, but the studs' non-threaded length disqualifies them for use. It seems that if these studs are going to be used, then I should have received spacers of some kind as part of the engine stand kit.

If you have any advice, I would appreciate it!

Mike
SLITS
1.) Go to the hardware store and buy a shitpile of washers.

2. Go to the harware store and buy some pipe nipples of sufficient length or buy one long one and cut spacers yourself.
machina
may be hard to see here but I used an old socket to take up the extra length on that stud. Then just bolt the two feet of the bracket to the case.

dr
Demick
If you plan on splitting the case, then you don't want to use both of the threaded studs to mount the engine because they are in opposite case halves. You need to mount the engine to only one of the case halves - which means you use one of the threaded studs, and you use one of the upper holes that mounted the engine to the transmission. I believe that bolting the engine stand to the left case half is preferred (the side that the starter is on).

Demick
Site
Thanks, everyone, for your advice. In particular, thanks Demick for your info. I will be splitting the case, and your comment is very helpful!
mightyohm
Also I have found that it is easier to bolt the engine stand "yoke" to the engine first and then lift the engine and yoke up into the pivot of the stand. This was probably painfully obvious to everyone except me. headbang.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 17 2004, 06:33 AM)
I believe that bolting the engine stand to the left case half is preferred (the side that the starter is on).

Nope!

Bolt the stand to the 3/4 side or dizzy half always. This makes it easier for lining up the dizzy drive when it goes back together.

When you are putting the engine together install the dizzy drive and the dizzy, to keep the drive from falling out.
This also makes it easier to align the drive.
Demick
Yep. Mark Henry is correct. Bolt it to the opposite side as the starter is on (which is the distributor half). I just realized my error this afternoon and had to switch sides. I was just ready to split the case too (had all but the 6 main bolts out).

Demick
Mark Henry
The other important reason for using this side is that all the dowel pins (but one) for the main bearings are on this side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.