Hi folks,

This is sort of off topic as there aren't many 914s that still have to wrestle with the first part of my question.

I have a 1981 Volvo 240 Wagon and 1990 Volvo 240 Sedan. The wagon I bought used with a 197x 355ci SBC already installed. The wagon is the roachiest car I've ever owned so I bought the 1990 with the intent of swapping the SBC into the newer car. Just recently they've stated emissions checks in my part of PA (just visual at this point), so I'm a little more worried about the smog legality of the swap. I know that it's not going to pass visual with a big ol' holley 4bbl staring the guy in the face, so I've been acquiring various bits and pieces and am going to use an LT1 intake and megasquirt to get all that into compliance. Now my question is, I've heard that as far as engine swaps are concerned the actual block does not need to be out of the same year or newer car as long as it's in the same family and the rest of the components are the same year or newer as the chassis. So my 1990 Volvo with a 1987 roller 350 block, AFR (CARB exempt) heads, EGR, Cats etc etc. would be fine. Does anyone know if this is correct? I've searched the relevant PA websites with all the various search phrase permutations I could think of to no avail.

Next question is what about serial numbers? I bought the '81 already converted and have no documentation to prove how the seller acquired the engine (he bought it from a machine shop allegedly), I'm not to happy with the block and think a cheaper way to reach my goals would be to get a newer block with roller cam and 1 piece RMS (I need it to run the T56 flywheel or shell out $350 for a conversion piece). I have found a 1987 IROC-Z with a low mile on stout rebuild 4-bolt main, roller cam block out of a newer truck (880 block I'd guess). Assuming the answer to my question above is that block year doesn't matter, how should I document acquiring and installing this engine. Is a bill of sale from current owner citing engine number all that's necessary, or do I have to trace it back farther, like to a junkyard or the truck owner? Does said bill of sale have to be notarized? I'm sure someone's had experience with this.

Thanks for any help or input. I'm sort of assuming this is somewhat standardized across the US, but even if it's not I know a large chunk of the members are from CA and if it meets with approval from CARB and other CA authorities it's probably more than fine here in the middle of Pennsyltucky.

Thanks,

Adam