Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas gauge low fuel light-plastic replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PBC914
I pulled my fuel gauge/warning light/oil/alt belt gauge today to clean the lens on my 75 1.8. Interesting that this gauge and the speedo are both glass but the center tach is plastic (must have been using up stock at the factory).

Anyway I read somewhere about someone trying to figure out what to replace the red plastic piece with that is used to indicate low fuel. Mine like others had faded and looked really bad.

I had a dark red spray paint cap from repainting my heater control knob. I cut out a piece and then cut it to the right shape and flattened it and taped it in place. The color looks good with a light shining through it, with plenty of light, but looks red, not pink.

Thought I would post this in case others ever want to replace-it was very easy to do.
Rob-O
I think that was me posting about the replacement piece for the gas gauge. I used a couple of pieces of red plastic from the tabs of a 'hanging folder'. It looks good, but I did shine a flashlight from behind it (like the light would be) and it was definitely pink. I'm sure the flashlight was brighter than the actual bulbs in our car, but I'm betting ti would still be pink. GREAT idea on using the red spray paint can top. I can see how that would be about the same thickness as the original part.

I was just thinking on my drive home today how ingenious a group of members we have here. It's like there isn't anything on these cars that we don't have experts on, or someone that makes replacement parts. Which is crazy if you ask me. I would bet that we have more parts made by owners of these cars than some American autos from the 70's. American cars that are more plentiful and were actually MADE here!
Rob-O
By the way, POST PICTURES!
biggy72
Rob that's actually really funny because I used the same thing. And here I thought I was being a genius or something...
jaxdream
QUOTE(biggy72 @ Sep 16 2011, 07:42 PM) *

Rob that's actually really funny because I used the same thing. And here I thought I was being a genius or something...

HA HA , smarter than the average bear !!!! piratenanner.gif

Jack
Spoke
My 74 had 2 gauges with glass covers and one with plastic. I replaced the plastic with glass from an early-year car.
Rob-O
Hey Spoke, I think we're actually talking about the little red piece of plastic that is near the 'R' on the gas gauge. It lights up (or is supposed to!) when your gas level is low. Most of them are now heavily faded. We were just trying to figure out an ideal way to replace that faded part when we re-furbish the gauge.

It sounds like you are talking about the entire piece of glass that covers the instrument itself. Personally I'm not a big fan of the plastic that is on the 74 and up gauges, but I haven't yet made it to a glass place that will cut me the pieces in the size we would need.

I'll bet one of the members here who restores the gauges would be able to provide them, and probably do when you send your gauges in to them. I'd also be willing to bet that Palo Alto and North Hollywood change them out to glass when they do their restorations.
Rob-O
Hey Biggy, yeah, I was just searching around the house and thinking of what I could use and that just came to mind.

This is plainly one of those cases where we're both geniuses, not a case where where neither are because we both thought of it. Ford and Daimler both thought of and built cars around the same time. I'd say both were geniuses not both were not!! Positive thinking!!!
Spoke
Got it.

I never paid attention to the low-fuel light since I never get anywhere near that. I fill up at 1/2 tank. smile.gif
PBC914
Finally, A picture of the paint can plastic cap I used to replace the low fuel light marker that had faded. The ignition is in the "on" position, and the car was truly low on fuel, so the low fuel light is glowing through the newly replaced plastic marker:
Rob-O
Very nice! I may have to change mine. That red is bright, I may have to find something a little darker. By the way, I worked in the paint and plastics industry for about 25 years. Specifically in the weathering characteristics of materials. Red is probably the toughest color to get to last. Easiest? Black.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.